SASS Wire Forum

The DI

Subdeacon Joe

Believe it or not, Ssg Cordoba,  my assistant drill sergeant in 66 was a dead ringer for Jack Webb. Except he had an accent. :lol:

If I was told I only had 15 weeks to live, I would want to go back to basic training...because that was the longest 15 weeks of my life!

Those 15 weeks included basic training, and then later, a stint in a P.O.W. exercise training group. Not everyone may have had to endure that, but those of us that were subject to being put in a location, sort of "behind enemy lines" (there really were no "lines" where we were going), they put us through this "training". 

I was never captured, but if being captured was 1/10th as bad as this training, then I don't see how anyone made it back alive, or sane.

The movie, the D.I., was pretty good, and pretty realistic, as far as it went. As the saying goes: "you just had to be there". 

my dad had me watch it as a kid to show me being in the army was not that good of an idea.  he had been an army drill sergeant before going to vietnam.  After watching it i wanted to join the army even more.  My 4 children used to watch it over and over and copy it and pretend to be the D I or private owens.  now whenever we see private owens on gunsmoke or perry mason we point it out.

My Senior DI was the boot that couldn't tell the sex of the flea.

I loved watching him catch H---. I watched that movie over and over!

:-)

Archived