SASS Wire Forum

Missing SASS shooting

It has been a few years since I shot a Match. I have 6 herniated discs and spinal stenosis, along with bad knees and hips. It is too painful supporting the heavy gunbelt and gear. Cowboy boots put too much stress on my L4L5 and the last time I was at a shoot, I had to take heavy amounts of opioids to relieve the pain. I may not shoot in matches but I still enjoy shooting Black Powder. I just do it sitting down at a bench now. SASS has been a Family to me for many years and I miss it terribly. I will always be here for anybody that needs anything.

15665737_1335813833110055_8973009909314933060_n.jpg

same here:

need to stage revolvers--no problem

wear tennis shoes--do it

help hauling guns to and from firing line--got you covered

TRR will do whatever it takes to make a shooter's match the best possible.

prayers for your physical relief where possible

Got a note from my foot doctor that I needed to wear a tennis shoe and turned it into SASS at EOT.  Did not receive one negative comment from anyone.  I've had some procedures and will see if I can get back to boots.  It was nice to shoot without so much foot pain.  

I also feel your pain and haven't been able to shoot a match for a good while now, due to medical issues.  I too still shoot at my local Sportsman's Club Range, which I have been a member of since high school.  Lord only knows how much lead I've put downrange out there over my lifetime!  Unfortunately, I spend most of my time there shooting from a chair, but even that is becoming more difficult physically and it is now becoming somewhat cost prohibitive as well.  However, I am determined to keep shooting, as it has been my primary source of recreation for many years and I still keep up hope that I can one day return to the CAS matches as well.  I realize that I will never be competitive again and that does hurt a bit mentally, but maybe I can at least finish a match and enjoy the day without causing me unbearable pain for days afterward.  Frankly, I really miss my Cowboy friends, the competition, and the spirit of the game as well as enjoying a full day doing something I really love.  There is/was simply nothing in my life that I have enjoyed more than CAS and saying that I miss it just really isn't quite adequate.  Man, getting old isn't easy, but keep on shooting, keep up hope, and carry on best as you can, and remember that you will always have friends here!  Good luck and good shooting to all.    

l blew a disc in my lower back.  I had to change many things.  For CAS, I had to give up moving steel, running the timer, shagging brass, and shooting GF.  For now, it's let me remain competitive.  Steriod shots have helped quite a bit for now.  I have to space out what I do with an eye towards keeping me shooting.  I thank all my friends who help out and understand why I'm planted either scoring or spotting.  SASS people are good people!  

Archived