SASS Wire Forum

Nifty Egg Trick - Separate yolk from egg white

Pat Riot

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Did you just make a yolk?

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Cracked as it was.

In my younger days that would have gone off smoother, but being older, I'm just a shell of the man I used to be. 

Crack em with one hand and drop em in the other. Whites leave between your fingers and the yolk stays in your palm.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

All jokes aside, this is another keeper.  There's bound to be an empty bottle or several around.  Most of mine have Dr. Pepper labels on them.

I agree. The last time I tried separating yolks from the rest of the egg it wasn’t pretty. It was messy and gross. 

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

All jokes aside, this is another keeper.  There's bound to be an empty bottle or several around.  Most of mine have Dr. Pepper labels on them.

I don't think it would work with a soda bottle. They are too hard - they are made strong to stand up to the gas pressure.

He was using a water bottle, which is made out of very thin plastic. It would need to be thin because he squeezed it so that when he released pressure it would create a vacuum and suck up the yolk. I do not think you could squeeze an empty Dr Pepper bottle. Not a 20 oz anyway. A 2-liter - yeah. But it would be too big and clumsy for this.

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Almost as easy but more fun....  :rolleyes:

That gadget might get a few laughs but the water bottle worked a lot better.

Guys, if you cook, you break the egg, pour the yoke into one half of the egg shell, the white into one bowl, the yolk into another after.  If you can walk and chew gum...no special equipment needed just a tiny bit of practice!

48 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Banned in California due to plastic bottle  , 

There are LOTS of plastic bottles in CA. I buy cases of bottled water every week. 

28 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Guys, if you cook, you break the egg, pour the yoke into one half of the egg shell, the white into one bowl, the yolk into another after.  If you can walk and chew gum...no special equipment needed just a tiny bit of practice!

Nope. I will try the bottle trick above. I can walk and chew gum and I can make one helluva mess separating eggs. :lol:

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Banned in California due to plastic bottle  , 

I'm sorry.  I just can't bring myself to give a damn about California any more.

Just tried it.  Dr. Pepper doesn't work, but the water bottle did, just like Alpo said.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nope. I will try the bottle trick above. I can walk and chew gum and I can make one helluva mess separating eggs. :lol:

Well Dam' I guess ya aren't "Eggs-ceptional".  :P I don't buy water bottles, I fill them!  If I've bought bottled water, it has been a semi rip off at a high end restaurant.

Speaking of eggspurts…

image.thumb.jpeg.673302fd8bccb3403970a2f8df21df10.jpeg

That little bit about the air cell is interesting. Of course, I have only seen this in boiled eggs. 

I have never separated a yolk in my life! 3 ways I cook eggs, scrambled, sunny side up and hard boiled. No need for me to separate the yolk!

Or if you just want the egg whites you can by a 32 oz container at the store

Archived