SASS Wire Forum

Grumpy Old Fart with Gun

Shot qualifications for my Police Department Sunday.  Most everybody shot one time, then exited left.  I qualified with six different guns.  Shot 100% with four of them, 98% with one and 96% with the other.  

This was my best qualification, with a S&W Model 10 round butt with 3" barrel.  Course starts with 12 rounds at 25 yards, then 12 rounds at 15 yards, 14 rounds at 7 yards, and 12 rounds at 5 yards.  Times go down as distance decreases.   

So, when I say "get off the lawn", I mean it :) 

5 15 22 qual.jpg

10-8 with eagle grips.jpg

@LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L,

Great shooting! ;)

I'll be sure to stay off your yard. :o

I'm not as good of a shot so I just post a sign instead. 

Snip-it_1652529002813.jpg.f2bf51512d23f1704994f2522f756310.jpg

I retired from Active duty Army in 2003. This past weekend for the first time since, I practiced failure drills (Mozambique some call it) was pleasantly surprised I could still do it in under 2 seconds. Don't mess with the old guys.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Why 14 rounds at 7 yards? They want to force you to reload twice?

The course is two rounds, then reload and reholster.  Then you fire 12 rounds more.  With a hi cap semi auto, you can do it all from one mag.  No mag change required.  I loaded and  indexed two rounds in the cylinder before moving to the 7 yard line, then used two speed loaders to complete the course.  

Just seemed strange, with the other distances being 12 rounds. I wondered if Otto had gotten a hold of your 2 and turned it into a 4.

Of course, making you fire 14 at that distance makes it come out and even 50 rounds - a full box.

5 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Was there any reason you needed to qualify with six different guns?  Or were you just having some extra fun while you were there?  If you were just having extra fun I can relate to that.

Angus

Reason?  For two of the guns, yes.  One was my SBR, a 10.5" Spikes Tactical in 5.56 mm, my carry patrol carbine.  Another was my Ruger LCP Max 380, a backup/off duty gun.  The other four were primary duty guns.  Any one of the primary duty guns would have been fine, but I have never liked to be tied down to only carrying one particular gun.  So, I qualified with a Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm (100%), a S&W Model 10 3" (100%), a Springfield Armory TRP in 45 ACP (98%) and a Colt Python (96%).  The Dan Wesson and the S&W Model 10 will be my primary carries.  I'm also currently still qualified with a Ruger SR1911 9mm Officers Model (100%).  A couple of other officers qualified with patrol carbines, primary duty guns and backup guns.  Most just shot their primary duty gun and left.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:46 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L,

Great shooting! ;)

I'll be sure to stay off your yard. :o

I'm not as good of a shot so I just post a sign instead. 

Snip-it_1652529002813.jpg.f2bf51512d23f1704994f2522f756310.jpg

I live in the country in Alabama.  I thought that was a given. 

That's the default around here.  Until proven otherwise, it's best to assume that's what is at the end of every driveway out in the country and most of the suburbs.

Archived