SASS Wire Forum

Any Tennessee anglers here...?

Well, a very good friend for the last twenty-five years is retiring.  And not only retiring, but gettin' the hell outta Dodge next month.  Just can't take it any more!

Mark and his bride have sold their house, and are headed to a new home near Jackson, Tennessee.  I'm gonna miss the guy ~ and he WILL be an asset to his new state.  

Anyway, thinking about a parting gift for the lad.  His fun passions have been dove shooting and especially fishing.  To that end, I'd welcome any suggestions on tackle, lures, books on fishing specific to the area, or heck, just about any ideas.  

Thankee!  ^_^

In that area...I am going to say as far as fishing...the big things would be Crappie...Bass...Panfish...and CATFISH

You could buy him a lifetime fishing license :D

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/licensing/lifetime-license-application.pdf

Bass Pro Shops gift card.

1oz - 1-1/2oz Spinnerbaits, great for fishing at Pickwick lake in the current; white or chartreuse.

https://www.kfmaps.com/shop/lake-maps/tn-lake-maps/pickwick-lake-110/

Its been a while since I've done it but there are also trout in the eastern part of the state....spin fishing and fly fishing

....also a little farther east in Western North Carolina. 

OO

He needs a Rat-L-Trap. Especially if he's fishing private ponds and lakes.

Back in the '70's and early '80's, there was a local outdoors show put on by a local tv station.  Part of the show every week was a segment where local fishermen could bring in their big fish and have them weighed on TV.

EVERY big fish- regardless  of species- shown on the show was reported to have been caught on a Rat-L-Trap in a private lake.:rolleyes:

The most useful item you can buy any fisherman, outdoorsman, sportsman, boater, etc. is a good multi tool. 

Leatherman Wave+ or Surge

Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit MX (my favorite)

Gerber Multi-Plier 600

All Rat-L-Trap jokes aside, I have an uncle that caught a 12 pound Blue Cat in about 18 inches of water on a top water plug.:huh:

He came down from West Virginia and was so excited to be able to bass fish, so we took him 3 or 4 times- including a trip to Lake Eufaula that he treated like a pilgrimage.

We were fishing the brush tops along the bank of an island just north of Columbus (for those that don't know, bass will settle into places like that and take meals of opportunity).  You flip it under or between the brushes, let it sit a couple seconds and then give it a twitch.  That twitch makes it look like an injured small fish and he will strike it if you've got it close enough.  Don't care how many times you do it, the one throw that garners a strike is always just as big of a surprise as the first one.  Personally, I miss about 9 outta 10 strikes (or more) no matter how 'set' I think I am for it to happen.

Uncle Harold (one of many Uncle Harolds that I have- it's a family name on Momma's side and a couple of her sisters married some spares) flipped it under a tree limb like he'd been doing it his whole life, reeled in most of the slack and gave it just the leastest of a twitch before it was engulfed and the fight started.

That's when the strangeness started.

Largemouth are fighters and fun to catch but this'un was a fish of a different color from the get-go.  Bass, however, usually don't head right at the middle of the boat (which was the shortest route to deeper water since the river channel passes that side of the island) with the drag sounding like a sewing machine and the rod bent double. 

Harold couldn't get him turned around nor could he  make him come up.  He liked to lost his rod just trying to get the line on the right side of the boat (picture the rod tip a foot under the water with him trying to trace the outline of the back of the boat, around the gas motor and over to the other side and you get the idea- oh, add to the picture him yelling, 'Git the net, I gotta lunker!' every other breath).

Once Harold and the fish agreed on the field of battle, things didn't stop being strange.  This one headed down and wouldn't give up an inch of depth for love nor money.  No jumping and dancing on its' tail was gonna happen.  We eventually convinced Harold that he weren't gonna horse this'un to the top by brute force and he commenced to actually playing the fish and taking in slack as it was given.  Nope, this was gonna be an endurance race.

You shoulda seen his face when that Blue finally came to the top.  No pretty, sleek Largemouth in shades of green- just a big black catfish as long as the better part of your arm with a mouth that would do a fair job of swallowing a softball.

It was also the biggest catfish ever caught in that boat on a rod and reel.

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

All Rat-L-Trap jokes aside, I have an uncle that caught a 12 pound Blue Cat in about 18 inches of water on a top water plug.:huh:

Sounds like me ice fishing for bluegills with two pound test line. Six and a half pound dog fish! For the first ten minutes I had on a record bass. I gave it to a buddy to bait his traps.

10 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Sounds like me ice fishing for bluegills with two pound test line. Six and a half pound dog fish! For the first ten minutes I had on a record bass. I gave it to a buddy to bait his traps.

When I was a kid, my Dad took a 8foot fly rod and put the littlest spinning reel you've ever seen on one (seriously, it was the smallest spinning reel that Daiwa made at the time- underslung but closed face and didn't hold much line).

We loaded it with 2 pound test and used it for bream fishing.  It was the best of both worlds, you could flip it like a cane pole or cast it like a spinning rod.

It was my Dad's pride and joy- until he hooked a 4 pound Smallmouth with it and had the fight of his life.  The bass hit it like a ton of bricks, the rod looked like it was either gonna break or bend triple (since it was passing bent double with a head of steam) and that little reel was just a singing away.  Daddy got it in the boat but looked like he was wore out from doing it.

For some reason, he retired it after that trip.

Archived