SASS Wire Forum

AR-10

I've been offered an AR-10 and know nothing about them.  (Even after all the time I spent in uniform I have never fired anything on the AR platform.)  It's a 7.62 NATO caliber and has lots of stuff to go with it including a hundred plus rounds of ammo.  I'm not familiar with the brand name, either.

Should I be seriously interested in it?  Would you be?  What should I look for in features?  What should I try to avoid?

The AR 10 has larger dimensions to handle the 308 cartridge. Historically, they are either Armalite or DPMS.  This is important because the upper to lower receiver fit has

a different shape between the two.  DPMS is less expensive, which is what I had before trading it to my brother.    I believe accessories that are particular to one or the other

are more plentiful and less expensive for the DPMS pattern. Other opinions may vary but that is my take.

Horace

What brand and model is it?

What are the accessories?

How old is it?

Is it a factory built gun or a project gun?

I’ve got a Ruger 762 , it’s a piston gun rather than di . I like it , use it for my deer rifle. I’ve been looking into getting a POF . They have sized the gun down from the standard AR-10 , it’s pretty much AR-15 size . DPMS made one that’s between a AR-10 and 15 size wise . Since the AR-10 was never a military gun it was really never standardized. So theirs lots of variability between manufacturers. Ruger has discontinued the 762 , DPMS went out with Remington, not sure if they are back , The Sig ones are supposed to be pretty good. 

This video is about the POF piston gun but he does a good job of describing the 3 different sizes that are out there 

What do you mean “offered”. Like for free? Or offered to buy?

Never turn down a free gun. Never. ;)

The guy got married and is now expecting a kid.  Need to sell some stuff so he can but a new truck with a back seat and some other kid necessities.

I don't have much more about it yet, like make, model, accessories, and the like.  I haven't even seen it yet.

Depending on a few factors (how much do they want?, How "used" is it?, barrel length - 16" is pretty wild muzzle blast)  Most commercial AR - 10s available are pretty good guns. Most AR 10s are pretty heavy - 11 to 14 pounds (unless it has a 16" barrel). The nice thing about the gun is it is since they are heavy the recoil is negligible less felt recoil than an M - 14.  They can be used for hunting most anything in North America and a great target paper punching gun.

I have a DPMS Oracle AR10 in 308.   Couple of little changes is an excellant shooter.  ( New trigger and a free float  hand guard)   Even with the 16 in barrel  it is heavy but a joy to shoot     GW

Archived