SASS Wire Forum

Hi, I’d like to introduce myself

Hello everyone, I’m a relatively new member here and completely new at posting, but I have lurked as a guest for a couple of years now.

I’m currently enduring a fluke medical event that still has no diagnosis and was only discharged from the hospital late last night when they couldn’t come up with  any more  answers, so why not say hi to the gang while hanging out in bed waiting on the Docs’ next move?

My first exposure to CAS was a match going on in my periphery out in Nevada over 20 years ago while I was performing other tasks at an event. No idea if it was SASS, NCOWS or some other organizations, but I thought, “hey, that’s sorta cool.”

Fast Forward a decade, my son wants to learn more about the mechanics of firearms and be able to perform armorer work/light gunsmithing on his own guns. We get the AGI Videos, and one is Lefty Lipscomb explaining CAS in more detail for the complete neophyte; the costumes, aliases, character development, types of firearms etc.

and I think “okay, I get it, yeah, that’s definitely something I could get into,” but time slips away.

Another decade goes by, I’m now retired on disability with plenty of time on my hands and one day YouTube autoplays into Longhunter’s how-to video series, followed by Jed I Knight traveling all over shooting at these well laid-out matches with all these great folks, so I thought, “that’s it, sign me up!”

That is when I found SASSNET and the forums and started gathering the details of what all you need to get going in SASS. $Ouch$! But I’m a po’ boy, I can’t be getting into a new gun based hobby in 2020 when there are no guns and ammo to be found anywhere and all production is going to making Tupperware pistols and mil-spec ARs.

I eventually found a way to dip my toe into western shooting on a budget for the past couple of years by learning Cowboy Fastdraw and have really enjoyed it, but it only feeds my SASS fever instead of quelling it.

I’ve decided to shoot .38/.357 & 12ga for SASS, so have purchased and am awaiting delivery of a pair of SASS Vaqueros from Lever Rat and recently traded into a Baikal MP210 that I’m undecided as to whether I want to chop the barrel and use, or trade towards a different SXS. I have sorted through my other firearms and have picked out what to sell to fund completion of my SASS gear.
So that’s me, and I hope to be joining some of you nice people out on the range real soon!

ADDENDUM:

I have a few shirts and Frontier Classics pants, suspenders etc from doing CFDA, but I’m having a real problem finding the authentic looking boots like Mule Eared in 14W, even a 15w in some brands. 

(Guess now you know why this guy calls himself Slewfoot, lol)

Do I just not know where to look, or am I pretty much relegated to that guy on eBay in Pakistan who custom makes them? And has anyone here ever had a pair of boots made by the Pakistani?

That single trigger Baikal will be fine... if it keeps working. I've heard a lot of bad things about single triggers, but I have a Bounty Hunter II single trigger that's worked just fine for the two years I've had it.

Slewfoot, Welcome to the wire and the best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

50 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Welcome. You might try posting a WTB ad in the classifieds and list what you need.

I don’t have a number yet. Are only FS ads prohibited by non-SASS members and WTB/WTTF are permitted? I really don’t want to get sent to the Principal’s office when I’ve finally started speaking up in class, but it would possibly get me up and out there faster to be searching amongst other cowboys and not the usual Armslist crowd for sure.

7 minutes ago, Slewfoot said:

I don’t have a number yet. Are only FS ads prohibited by non-SASS members and WTB/WTTF are permitted? I really don’t want to get sent to the Principal’s office when I’ve finally started speaking up in class, but it would possibly get me up and out there faster to be searching amongst other cowboys and not the usual Armslist crowd for sure.

You need a SASS number to start a thread of any kind in the classifieds.

Where in Tennessee are you from? Visit one of the many clubs  around before you buy anything else; might find what you need there.

Our State match is coming up soon, June 2-4 in Watrace, TN.

30 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You need a SASS number to start a thread of any kind in the classifieds.

Where in Tennessee are you from? Visit one of the many clubs  around before you buy anything else; might find what you need there.

Our State match is coming up soon, June 2-4 in Watrace, TN.

I don't think that SASS membership is required to start an ISO or WTB post in the Classifieds. SASS membership (in good standing) is required to offer items for sale in the Classifieds.

Welcome Slewfoot and good luck finding your guns.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't think that SASS membership is required to start an ISO or WTB post in the Classifieds. SASS membership (in good standing) is required to offer items for sale in the Classifieds.

Welcome Slewfoot and good luck finding your guns.

And you would be incorrect.  

"Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted."

Offers meaning For Sale OR Want to Buy.  

16 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

And you would be incorrect.  

"Offers posted by Guests or Members not including thier SASS Number will be deleted."

Offers meaning For Sale OR Want to Buy.  

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.;)

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.;)

Same here, probably easier to count the times I've been right :lol:

9 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

Do I just not know where to look, or am I pretty much relegated to that guy on eBay in Pakistan who custom makes them? And has anyone here ever had a pair of boots made by the Pakistani?

Welcome! Never used these guys but ... Link https://www.zappos.com/mens-cowboy-boots-size-15  I did have several pairs of Old West Boots made in India they were inexpensive and long lasting.  I'd still have some but they discontinued the style I liked.

Yo-Ho-De-O Slewfoot; Welcome aboard pilgrim for great shooting, friends, & good times. God bless you & yours & hang in there

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

Sun City, Arizona

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Where in Tennessee are you from?

Visit one of the many clubs  around before you buy anything else; might find what you need there.

Our State match is coming up soon

The Northeast Tip, beyond the Tri-Cities. I can be in NC or VA in 20-25 minutes if I step on it.

There are two clubs that do their shootin’ within easy driving distance; the Greene Co. Regulators and High Country, who do their shooting less than 30 minutes away in Wolf Laurel, NC

I would’ve definitely made Wartrace last year if I’d have had anyone to ride shotgun, and asked the handful of friends and family I could stand to be trapped in a car with and came up dry. This year is definitely out because those rascals have already scheduled pulmonary function tests for me on the 3rd. 

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Welcome! Never used these guys but ... Link https://www.zappos.com/mens-cowboy-boots-size-15  I did have several pairs of Old West Boots made in India they were inexpensive and long lasting.  I'd still have some but they discontinued the style I liked.

Thanks, I’m on it, and will be scouting for some Indian cobblers as well.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and warm wishes for recovery, I’d think certain someone will find the problem soon; just hoping nothing bursts or ruptures in the meantime!

Welcome Slewfoot!  I wouldn’t sweat the footwear right now, other than not wearing sneakers (unless you have a foot problem) I don’t think anyone will say anything about a new shooters footwear.  When you get done with the sawbones start going to some local matches you’d be surprised at what you might find by asking.  Sorry you ain’t going to be able to go to Wartrace, but, in the fall they’ll be some other bigger matches you can look at going to.  If you go to https://www.sassnet.com/ and look under events you’ll see dates and locations for most of them.  Hope you get fixed up and get to see ya somewhere down the trail. 

15 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

Hello everyone, I’m a relatively new member here and completely new at posting, but I have lurked as a guest for a couple of years now.

FYI, signing up on the SASS Wire, is not joining SASS, and will not result in a SASS #.  What TS just said.  Also, on that site you'll be able to join SASS, register your alias & receive your #.

2 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

The Northeast Tip, beyond the Tri-Cities. I can be in NC or VA in 20-25 minutes if I step on it.

There are two clubs that do their shootin’ within easy driving distance; the Greene Co. Regulators and High Country, who do their shooting less than 30 minutes away in Wolf Laurel, NC

I would’ve definitely made Wartrace last year if I’d have had anyone to ride shotgun, and asked the handful of friends and family I could stand to be trapped in a car with and came up dry. This year is definitely out because those rascals have already scheduled pulmonary function tests for me on the 3rd. 

Thanks, I’m on it, and will be scouting for some Indian cobblers as well.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and warm wishes for recovery, I’d think certain someone will find the problem soon; just hoping nothing bursts or ruptures in the meantime!

Slewfoot, welcome!

Greene County Regulators has their practice match this Saturday the 21st.

There is no dress code for this shoot.

You can shoot or reshoot any or all of the stages or if need be, stay on 1 stage and practice what you need to practice.

There will be the opportunity to see, handle,and shoot different guns that we use.

One of the best leather makers also shoots with us and will probably be there.

Check out our website.

Hope to meet you there.

19 minutes ago, Griff said:

FYI, signing up on the SASS Wire, is not joining SASS, and will not result in a SASS #.  What TS just said.  Also, on that site you'll be able to join SASS, register your alias & receive your #.

Yep, that I’m aware of, I’ve just not completely settled on the alias I’d like to use. Sometimes, I tell ya, even the Miss’us says I’m being a little too indecisive. [gulp] 

17 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Slewfoot, welcome!

Greene County Regulators has their practice match this Saturday the 21st.

There is no dress code for this shoot.

You can shoot or reshoot any or all of the stages or if need be, stay on 1 stage and practice what you need to practice.

There will be the opportunity to see, handle,and shoot different guns that we use.

One of the best leather makers also shoots with us and will probably be there.

Check out our website.

Hope to meet you there.

Thank You! I hadn’t looked at your calendar on your website in awhile and will make every effort to get there. Handling will likely be all I should do on the 21st if I’m still on these narcotics and muscle relaxers. Don’t want me pulling a Curly Bill trying to shoot the moon! I’m curious as to who shoots with you fellers from WCYB, I’ve known a few of their behind the camera guys across the years.

’Preciate the invite.

Welcome to a fellow Tennessean, I have worn Justin Conductor boots for several years and just bought these Justin’s. I also struggle a little to find a 14EE but Justin usually has them.

https://www.justinboots.com/en-US/Product/Details?stylenumber=SE465

Randy

Correct.  Lug soles not allowed.  Of course, with today's shoes, it's hard to say what is lug and what isn't.  I've seen some pretty aggressive soles that weren't the traditional lug design, but looked like they'd grip even better.

Don't get hung up on the historic accuracy of clothing.  We're a fantasy game, not reenactors.  My first set of holsters were museum quality replicas of original holsters, and they weren't good at all for speed.  Same with footwear.  For three years I've worn Harley Davidson boots, and gotten a few compliments on them but nobody ever complained.

16 minutes ago, Slewfoot said:

@Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903

I had no idea Roper-type toes were permitted, that simplifies things greatly! Am I correct in still presuming no type of lug sole is allowed, even if it’s on a pair of Ropers or Wellingtons?

These boots, I believe, are legal in every category except B-Western.

This may help also. Branchwater Jack has a lot of great short informational videos.

Randy 

32 minutes ago, Slewfoot said:

I had no idea Roper-type toes were permitted, that simplifies things greatly! Am I correct in still presuming no type of lug sole is allowed, even if it’s on a pair of Ropers or Wellingtons?

14 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Correct.  Lug soles not allowed.  Of course, with today's shoes, it's hard to say what is lug and what isn't.  I've seen some pretty aggressive soles that weren't the traditional lug design, but looked like they'd grip even better.

Don't get hung up on the historic accuracy of clothing.  We're a fantasy game, not reenactors.  My first set of holsters were museum quality replicas of original holsters, and they weren't good at all for speed.  Same with footwear.  For three years I've worn Harley Davidson boots, and gotten a few compliments on them but nobody ever complained.

Here is the Outlawed section from the Shooters Handbook. I believe B-Western and Classic Cowboy are the only Categories with a restriction on lug soles.

OUTLAWED ITEMS
SASS wants our participants to be safe, have fun, develop their competitive shooting skills, and enjoy the rich traditions of the Old West. We ask you join us in the friendly spirit of competition and preservation of our heritage. The use or presence of any of the listed outlawed items, equipment, or the use of a non-SASS legal firearm will result in a stage Disqualification penalty for each stage the illegal item(s) is used. Penalties are not awarded in arrears but should be corrected before the competitor shoots the next stage.
 - Modern shooting gloves
- Short sleeve shirts (male competitors only)
- Short sleeve tee shirts, long sleeve tee shirts, and tank tops for all competitors.
(Long sleeve Henley type shirts with buttons are acceptable.)
  - Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys)
Straw hats of traditional design are acceptable (e.g., Stetson, Baily, Sombreros,
 etc.)
  - Designer jeans are not allowed. Designer jeans include modern jeans that have slogans or logos embroidered, silk screened, and such, saying things like “PINK” or “BABY.” Jeans with fancy or flashy adornments are acceptable.
- Ball caps.
- All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which
they are constructed.
 - Nylon, plastic, or Velcro accoutrements.
 - The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. (Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable)

Randy 

This is the kind of minutiae that drives me batty!  As long as someone dresses Western, and doesn't stand out, who cares.  Even as a scrawny old Geezer, I can't run or gain advantage from cleats, and there are a lot of really big folks - can't imagine them as blurs of motion. 

On 5/15/2022 at 8:39 PM, Slewfoot said:

I’m currently enduring a fluke medical event that still has no diagnosis and was only discharged from the hospital late last night when they couldn’t come up with  any more  answers, so why not say hi to the gang while hanging out in bed waiting on the Docs’ next move?

My first exposure to CAS was a match going on in my periphery out in Nevada over 20 years ago while I was performing other tasks at an event. No idea if it was SASS, NCOWS or some other organizations, but I thought, “hey, that’s sorta cool.”

Fast Forward a decade, my son wants to learn more about the mechanics of firearms and be able to perform armorer work/light gunsmithing on his own guns. We get the AGI Videos, and one is Lefty Lipscomb explaining CAS in more detail for the complete neophyte; the costumes, aliases, character development, types of firearms etc.

and I think “okay, I get it, yeah, that’s definitely something I could get into,” but time slips away.

Another decade goes by, I’m now retired on disability with plenty of time on my hands and one day YouTube autoplays into Longhunter’s how-to video series, followed by Jed I Knight traveling all over shooting at these well laid-out matches with all these great folks, so I thought, “that’s it, sign me up!”

That is when I found SASSNET and the forums and started gathering the details of what all you need to get going in SASS. $Ouch$! But I’m a po’ boy, I can’t be getting into a new gun based hobby in 2020 when there are no guns and ammo to be found anywhere and all production is going to making Tupperware pistols and mil-spec ARs.

I eventually found a way to dip my toe into western shooting on a budget for the past couple of years by learning Cowboy Fastdraw and have really enjoyed it, but it only feeds my SASS fever instead of quelling it.

I’ve decided to shoot .38/.357 & 12ga for SASS, so have purchased and am awaiting delivery of a pair of SASS Vaqueros from Lever Rat and recently traded into a Baikal MP210 that I’m undecided as to whether I want to chop the barrel and use, or trade towards a different SXS. I have sorted through my other firearms and have picked out what to sell to fund completion of my SASS gear.
So that’s me, and I hope to be joining some of you nice people out on the range real soon!

ADDENDUM:

I have a few shirts and Frontier Classics pants, suspenders etc from doing CFDA, but I’m having a real problem finding the authentic looking boots like Mule Eared in 14W, even a 15w in some brands. 

Maybe someone already said this, but you can get a pair of cap and ball revolvers, a cap maker with the priming compound, a ball mold, and cast your own lead balls. It'll be less than cartridge guns and no need to look for the ammo in this shortage. In the meantime, you can still shoot and wait until regular ammo becomes more available.

I'm doing that with a pair of 1851 Navy revolvers from Pietta in .36. I can give you info and links if you like.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:39 PM, Slewfoot said:

ADDENDUM:

Also, some will say this isn't a "reenactment" and true, it isn't. But it is still trying to recreate the Old West in a competition. Otherwise terms like "Old West", "As close as you can get to the Old West Short of a Time Machine", "Preserving the traditions of the Old West" become just lip-service.

Do the best you can and work towards getting better. This applies to shooting as well as clothing.

Don't let anyone discourage you for not having "authentic" clothing, and at the same time, don;t let anyone convince you to just "settle" for the basics.

Welcome!

16 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

Maybe someone already said this, but you can get a pair of cap and ball revolvers, a cap maker with the priming compound, a ball mold, and cast your own lead balls. It'll be less than cartridge guns and no need to look for the ammo in this shortage. In the meantime, you can still shoot and wait until regular ammo becomes more available.

I'm doing that with a pair of 1851 Navy revolvers from Pietta in .36. I can give you info and links if you like.

Certainly, and sounds like handy information to know in the event of societal collapse as well.

29 minutes ago, Slewfoot said:

Certainly, and sounds like handy information to know in the event of societal collapse as well.

I am getting into shooting 1851 Navies in .36. They originally did not come in .44 but that caliber is available today. I think the .36 is much more fun, and also much less pricey for cost of lead and powder.

I got the ball mold here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265563946217

There are less expensive ones but this gives you 16 vs 2 balls per casting. The 6 cavity ones have been sold out.

For the cap maker, I got this:

https://22lrreloader.com/collections/10-percussion-cap-maker

And the priming compound:

https://22lrreloader.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

Nipples:

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliXshot-Black-Powder-Nipples

You don't "need" these right away, and may not ever. I got them because they are an improvement.

For paper cartridges:

https://gunsoftheweststore.com/collections/complete-paper-cartridge-kits

Nipple Wrench:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/65/1/NW-140

To melt lead I will use a simple single electric burner, and an old pot and ladle from the thrift store. Of course, the lead will be melted outside and with a box fan blowing it away.

For powder, there are ways other than purchasing, but not allowed to be discussed here.

With a setup like above, I believe the cap and ball pistols could be run even if everything went to hell.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm a newbie at this, so the others here can be far more help.

In the meantime: this channel has invaluable information:

https://www.youtube.com/user/duelist1954

Another thing:

When I first started out I was pretty tight on cash. For boots I used a pair of modern cowboy boots. To disguise them, I used some thick paper/poster board to mock up boot tops. Only had to do one because I could use it for both sides.

Once I cot that to fit OK, I went to Joanne fabrics, got some pleather, used the paper as a template, and made myself stovepipe boot-tops. I even used some extra strength hot glue as well as sewing.

The way I put those on was:  I slid them on like socks, rolled em up, put on the boots, and then rolled them down over the boots. With spurs on you couldn't tell they were just add-ons. But they did cause a little bit of extra sweat. ;)

Still, I felt better to be trying to look as authentic as I could.

For pants, I bought some tan "jeans" at wallyworld and carefully removed the back pockets. I wore a sash to hide the belt, but could have instead removed the belt loops and used suspenders.

This kind of stuff is good because it helps you take your time to develop who you want to be/look like while still being able to shoot.

Personally I like how NCOWS suggests to take a black and white picture of yourself all dressed up, then compare it with pictures of that time, and tweak as you go. Then keep doing that until you get better and better. Obviously NCOWS is stricter, but I still think we should all strive to represent the best image of the Old West possible, or even a movie version.

21 hours ago, Slewfoot said:

The majority of shooters are free to wear lugged sole boots.

There are some restrictions for those in costume categories against it.

As far as clothing goes...

Personally, I like dressing up like a politician!

Drats.... @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 beat me to it!

Archived