SASS Wire Forum

Looking for video of shooting on the move

wyliefoxEsquire

There was a post that discussed "shooting on the move".

It was of a shooter not moving feet but moving rest of body from left to right.

thanks

I am curious what you fellas are talking about?  Black powder shooters routinely twist, move their bodies up and down and lean side-to-side to help see the targets.  This is and has always been legal as long as your feet remain planted.  Are you talking about something else?

56 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I am curious what you fellas are talking about?  Black powder shooters routinely twist, move their bodies up and down and lean side-to-side to help see the targets.  This is and has always been legal as long as your feet remain planted.  Are you talking about something else?

Yes, it's different. 

59 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Sorry. Hit post too quick. The video showed continuous movement from left to right or vice versa. Keep in mind the feet were moving too but all the shots were done while one foot was planted still, but the shooter never stopped moving. Wish I could find it.

I remember a video of Hairtrigger Hays on this subject.  Body in continuous motion but feet riding the line of movement, but I think it was on Facebook.  He had posted it asking for a consensus.

I'll see if I can find it.

Totes

If I remember correctly (Fat Chance), there was a time when Badlands Bud use to practice on a Tread Mill to be able to do exactly that.  One foot always "down."  SASS took the fun smooth out of that one.

I made a suggestion last year at a major match TG meeting about removing the shooting on the move rules.

Thought it would make for a lot more fun and less penalties.

I think just about every TG gave a negative reply.

Oh well!

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Change is hard.

Indeed.  Especially a change like this that's been ingrained since the beginning.  And one where all of the arguments to keep it are specious.

45 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Indeed.  Especially a change like this that's been ingrained since the beginning.  And one where all of the arguments to keep it are specious.

Out of curiosity do you know of any clubs outside of SASS that have allowed shooting on the move? Did it increase attendance when they did so?

Shooting on the move would certainly appeal to younger shooters from the practical pistol and modern gun shooting sports.

They do it all the time.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Out of curiosity do you know of any clubs outside of SASS that have allowed shooting on the move? Did it increase attendance when they did so?

Western 3-gun.   And long before that, @ West End Gun Club it was allowed, and continued until they became SASS affiliated.   The "basketball" rule came into being in '86/'87 as I recall, just before the formation of SASS.  That's when a goodly portion of the action left cowboy action, IMO..  Not that I can keep up even now!  Ain't sure, but maybe OWSA, as I seem to recall firing as you advanced on downrange movement.

Very few of the clubs around me are setup for down range movement, but lateral movement along the firing line could be done at most any club.  It would take some getting used to.  I recall the first time I shot PCC at the Bar 3, movement was encouraged and I still found myself planted when hammering the trigger.  

Totes

20 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

A very tough subject. IMO, it is a fact that MANY of our shooters ought not be shooting while moving. They just simply do not have the skill and control to do so safely. No doubt however that it can increase the action and if safely done, the fun of the game. If I were to allow it to be introduced it would be on a very limited and controlled basis, and only under specific situations. I would not simply remove the rule and allow a free-for-all of moving while shooting. There would have to be some amount of control..... something like the Club car situation etc. 

Who would limit it and who would control it?

Target placement, size and distance would all be big factors. The larger targets would be easier to hit while moving. If the targets are clustered together there would be less advantage to shooting on the move. If they are strung out along a line moving and shooting might be more advantageous .

56 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

A very tough subject. IMO, it is a fact that MANY of our shooters ought not be shooting while moving. They just simply do not have the skill and control to do so safely. No doubt however that it can increase the action and if safely done, the fun of the game. If I were to allow it to be introduced it would be on a very limited and controlled basis, and only under specific situations. I would not simply remove the rule and allow a free-for-all of moving while shooting. There would have to be some amount of control..... something like the Club car situation etc. 

I would suggest that we can trust shooters to use good judgement. We have the right safety rules in place regarding the 170, as well as rounds over the berm. 

I also have a fair bit of anecdotal evidence to support this. 

In my opinion, I think you’re expecting that if it’s allowed, and there is a stage written for it, that there will be issues. I maintain that I believe shooters will make good judgments about their abilities and limitations. 

I don’t believe that this argument is valid. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I would suggest that we can trust shooters to use good judgement. We have the right safety rules in place regarding the 170, as well as rounds over the berm. 

I also have a fair bit of anecdotal evidence to support this. 

In my opinion, I think you’re expecting that if it’s allowed, and there is a stage written for it, that there will be issues. I maintain that I believe shooters will make good judgments about their abilities and limitations. 

I don’t believe that this argument is valid. 

You're a LOT more trusting than I am, but I'm starting to come around.  

On 5/15/2022 at 6:49 PM, wyliefoxEsquire said:

There was a post that discussed "shooting on the move".

It was of a shooter not moving feet but moving rest of body from left to right.

thanks

It was one revolver being shot "Borg-quickly" with the shooter's upper body in continuous motion and the planted foot almost but not quite leaving the ground before the final shot...

The only way to say he didn't move was by stop-motion video.   So, if the RO and Spotters say the shooter didn't stop, and you can't use video replay... Then the shooter was moving.

If a gunfighter shoots two revolvers with a split-time that is so close that the RO and the Spotters can't discern separate shots, that's a penalty also.  Like Balls and Strikes there is an element of subjectivity.

Until and unless there are rule changes we have to play within those parameters.  On another note, I've never seen any of the "fast kids" do this constant movement thing.  They always seem to have a stable stance when rolling quickly through a stage, like a well choreographed dance of death.

If shooting on the move would be allowed, it doesn't mean everyone will do it. It wouldn't be a requirement.

I believe shooters would only move as fast as they feel they can.

Even in today's game, shooters move at different speeds through a stage. 

Some run fast between shooting positions, others just mosey along.

If we continue to make the stages easier and slower just because people are getting older, this sport will die when we do.

Young people will not get interested in joining a slow shooting sport with no action. 

We may as well remove the word "action" from our sport.

I understand the safety concerns with inexperienced shooters attempting to shoot while moving. I have trained hundreds, maybe thousands of soldiers to shoot while moving. Safety was never the problem, hitting the target is. You are not going to see hundreds of shooters breaking the 170 or dropping loaded guns, you will see a lot of misses till they learn the technique or just stop and shoot like they do now, which is what most will do. The speed some shooters sprint between shooting positions is far more dangerous then a smooth pace while shooting is. Every 170 violation I have seen has been because a shooter was sprinting between positions, slipped and fell, dropping a gun. IMHO moving smoothly and shooting while moving is actually safer.

Don't worry. The emphasis so many shooters place on shooting a clean match will self limit/correct the number who would consider shooting while moving. Almost all of the actual shooting while moving is done in a very controlled manner in the other action shooting sports that allow movement. They might sprint between positions but not while shooting. 

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Where's @Branchwater Jack SASS #88854's video of Dudley Do Wrongs attempt to shoot fast and shoot on the move with his feet planted?

id really like to see an example. Lots of misunderstanding on this topic.

We've only been on the air year so.

There's a whole lot of these calls that we haven't covered yet:P

Archived