SASS Wire Forum

20 ga Waa lite powder load data

oak creek martin

I am looking for load data for 20 gauge. using Winchester AA hulls and Winchester WAA light powder. Trying to re-create the low noise low recoil 980 fps load. I can’t seem to find any thing on the web other than 12 ga or a load using some other powder. Thanks OCM

The reason you cannot find any 20 gauge loading data is because WAA Lite (which was discontinued several years ago) is NOT suitable for 20 gauge.  As the bore size goes down suitable powders for that gauge change.  Thus, powders suitable for 20 are generally not suitable for .410, etc.

I was under the assumption that the WAA light powder is what was used in the 20 gauge low noise low recoil 980 FPS factory shells. 
The powder is not discontinued it is just not available for retail purchase anymore. I have 10 pounds of WAA light and would like to use it for my grandsons 20 gauge.

With that being said does anybody have any  load data for the low noise low recoil 20 gauge shot shell something at 980 FPS or close to?

10 minutes ago, oak creek martin said:

I was under the assumption that the WAA light powder is what was used in the 20 gauge low noise low recoil 980 FPS factory shells. 
The powder is not discontinued it is just not available for retail purchase anymore. I have 10 pounds of WAA light and would like to use it for my grandsons 20 gauge.

Assumptions can be dangerous and we are talking abouit cannister powders. WAA Lite cannister powder has been discontinued.  What the factory is using is irrelevant as the charge is pressure tested and changed with each lot of powder manufactured.  Go ahead and use it.

I was hoping to get some data from someone on the wire. I will call Hodgdon and talk to one of their texts. Thanks for your help

When I recently started shooting 20 ga, I learned that I needed a different powder from the 12ga I had been shooting. Makes sense, but I just hadn't thought it through. When searching for appropriate powders, I found Winchester 572.....advertised as suitable for rifle, pistol and 20 ga.  So far, I have loaded and shot a couple of matches with it and it seems to do the job.....and certainly convenient to use the same powder for all three guns. Not extensive testing, and others with more experience may have more or other results. Good luck.

Ozark Okie 

Archived