SASS Wire Forum

EMF SAA Great Western II

Good day:

I have a line on one of these.
Trying to decide to buy or not to buy.

I am interested in opinions from folks who shoot them.

Likes?  Dislikes?  Would you buy another one?

Thanks in advance

--Dawg

Which model specifically?

I've owned GW2 Californians in .357 and .45 and loved them both; they have Navy Grip frames.

I've owned GW2 Alchemista 2s, that were great guns too, but didn't care for the Army grip frames.

I to have a set of Californians and a set of alchemistas. I prefer the army grips. I love them and would buy them again in a instant. 

My wife has been shooting a pair of 4-3/4” .357 GWII Californians since about the time they came out (maybe 15 years? can’t recall…).  Great shooters and never any problems.  Hers came with checkered wood grips.

Love mine too, great shooter I got to match up my old smokewagon with the no safety features. Just about identical had them both shipped out for a color case job, blue screw package and action job just for the hell of it. It's on the right. IMG_0654.thumb.jpeg.7b5bf4b60667571d8abc9a501eaa1dba.jpeg

Piettas are the best clone out there. Prices have not inflated as much as Rugers (which are not clones) over the years. 

I've owned/shot four.  Worked on a bunch more.  "Worked on" is kind of a misnomer.  Other than a Main Spring change and cutting the Base Pin, I never found much to "work on."  The Pietta Great Western II is the best value for dollar on the market for SAs.

Dawg,

I had to put shims under the cylinder bushings to take the slop out of the cylinder forward/back movement. Four shims, Brownells, .001”.

If you ease the hammer down, my gun caught on a bur. It never failed to fire at full cock. I just address the bar with a diamond file.

I like it.

Uriah

1734A990-4A45-4AD8-AE8B-EE44C4CE058E.jpeg

Archived