SASS Wire Forum

Peculiar night sky

I went out last night about 9:30 to let the dog drain her pipes and there was a beautiful near-full moon, very bright and with every detail visible to the naked eye, and a very clear dark sapphire blue sky.......with only ONE STAR visible.  Anywhere.  The North Star was about 60 degrees ( just a guess) above the horizon, shining like a beacon and was so clear that I watched to make sure it wasn't a plane.  It didn't move.

I took a half dozen pictures with my cell phone and got nothing at all worth showing off.

It was one of the most beautiful skies I have ever seen.

I 'think' last nights moon was called a blue moon and a rare 'rainbow' moon.

I ain't one of them star gazers but I have slept at a Holiday Inn and I have been mooned before.

..........Widder

29 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bur where were the stars??????????????????

16 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The moon is so bright, you can't see them - alternatively the Deity tucked them away for the evening.

Alternative: He needs his long distance glasses instead of his reading glasses.

Venus is generally the first bright object visible in the evening sky.

Best way to tell if it’s Polaris is to look for one of the Dippers. It’s the last one in the Little Dipper handle. The Big Dipper points to it.

1D795DE8-A955-4AD4-B8DE-485D72F638FF.png

Okay, there is very little light pollution where I live, it was more than an hour and a half after sundown, the moon was bright, but I've never seen it so bright that even stars positioned well away from the moon were effected, and if you can't see any stars at all (save the one mentioned) how do you find the big and little dippers?

I'm 80 years old and have spent a good deal of that time out of doors all over the world except for the western part of upper Asia and neither polar regions.  I no longer drink, have never used "recreational" drugs, and have not had any head injuries in nearly 30 years.  I have been successfully hypnotized once many years, but only once.  Didn't do what I was there for.  I have had two vision quests and they were interesting, but didn't solve the problem I was there for.

"They" are coming?  Really!  Do you believe in aliens cruising around around our skies?  Little gray or green men?  Balderdash!  And besides, we.... uh.... they ....they  don't look like that.

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"They" are coming?  Really!  Do you believe in aliens cruising around around our skies?  Little gray or green men?  Balderdash!  And besides, we.... uh.... they ....they  don't look like that.

If they are watching our tv, I bet aliens lock their doors as they fly by here.

The latitude of Prescott is 34.54 degrees so the "North Star" would be no higher than about 36 degrees.  If you have a compass you can set your magnetic points from a fixed location in your yard and make the adjustment for magnetic declination which in Prescott is about 10.5 degrees east of true north. So if your compass is pointing at magnetic north, you would correct east by 10 degrees and be fairly spot on.  You can also use compass to estimate elevation from horizon in degrees. Set the north arrow at the baseline on the backing card. Sight along the top of the (generally plastic base) to the horizon, then keep the compass body locked on the horizon and rotate the base upwards. When the base lines up with the object you are looking for elevation, you can then read it off the side of the compass body.  If you keep the compass body locked in right hand the degrees are direct, if you lock in left hand, then you will have to convert to correct degrees. i.e. the object reads at 300 degrees, that then would be 60 degrees above horizon

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But where were the stars??????????????????

@Rip Snorter was correct, and here is why:

Snip-it_1652649180619.jpg.2cb368af24ddd61aa59daf153e9c9d28.jpgSnip-it_1652649304716.thumb.jpg.9b337febe22aa3a39a9da1c4a3dc1610.jpg

Hope this helps. ;)

Archived