SASS Wire Forum

The flash of green

For many decades I have heard of that mythical Flash of Green at sunset. And long have I gazed at the horizon hoping to experience it. From the desert sands, to the ocean. From the hills and mountains I have waited patiently for old Sol so slowly sink while the golden light began to both fade and intensify as the moment of truth approached.

Then tonight as I watched the life given star drop beyond the rage of the Earth north of the Abajo range. I saw it!!

A brilliant green suddenly flashed across my retinas, a bit darker than the bright Kelly green I had been led to expect! But Green for sure!!

Then I realized with sinking heart that the green flash was a mere reflection off the pickle I was eating. 

Oh well. The wait continues. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

3 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Astronauts orbiting the Earth have seen the green flash. 

And jealous of them I am.

Lost my chance when the washout board effectively sent me to ride a truck in Montana. Didn't find out until I was 26 years old that I could have reapplied the year before.  I guess they started losing people over "Nam. But being over 26 when I would graduate from UPT, I was no longer eligible! :(  OTOH, if someone paid for my seat (I'm a little short of $55M), and I could pass the physical, I'd go in a heartbeat. If Shatner can do it, 80 shouldn't be too old! :D

I truly wonder if the flash is just an urban legend originally designed just to get people to relax and watch the sun go down once in a while. :)

I've heard of it since I was a kid, and have watched countless sunsets.  Never seen it, but have been told by others that they have....

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

???

I think it was supposed to be, "And long have I gazed at the horizon"... but auto-cork struck again.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

???

That's why he doesn't see the green flash. Right before it happens Bob gets bored and starts looking at bugs n stuff

Rear Admiral (ret) Daniel Gallery, in one of his books (I believe it is STAND BYYYY TO START ENGINES) tells about Navy pilots chasing the flash. Be up in the air over the ocean, and see the flash, and point their plane at it, and fly along at the exact speed of the rotation of the Earth (and no, I don't know how fast that is). This allowed them to watch the flash for several minutes.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:39 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

For many decades I have heard of that mythical Flash of Green at sunset. And long have I gazed at the horizon hoping to experience it. From the desert sands, to the ocean. From the hills and mountains I have waited patiently for old Sol so slowly sink while the golden light began to both fade and intensify as the moment of truth approached.

Then tonight as I watched the life given star drop beyond the rage of the Earth north of the Abajo range. I saw it!!

A brilliant green suddenly flashed across my retinas, a bit darker than the bright Kelly green I had been led to expect! But Green for sure!!

Then I realized with sinking heart that the green flash was a mere reflection off the pickle I was eating. 

Oh well. The wait continues. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

A green flash across the sky is a sign to bend over & kiss your ass goodby.  In 1985 I spent a week on Kwajalein island when they did a test of an ICBM.  The RV's gave off a green glowing plasma as they passed through the atmosphere.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:23 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I've heard of it since I was a kid, and have watched countless sunsets.  Never seen it, but have been told by others that they have....

This video is pretty much what I always see when looking for the green flash…nothing. Unless that little tiny green circle as the sun disappeared is the “green flash”.

If that was it I would like to go back in time and slap my overly sensationalistic friends. 

No green flash yesterday. Just gold and a photobombing deer.

Well, the fields are turning green. So we got that goin on.  :D

7150C6DF-3B4A-4273-8EC2-681111A8943B.jpeg

Archived