SASS Wire Forum

What do you put in your wet tumbler

wyliefoxEsquire

Besides brass?

I tumble brass base shotshells without any media and stainless revolver cylinders.

It appears some tumble rifle carriers.

The best thing I've found is a product called Strato-Sheen from Rio Grande jewelry - www.riogrande.com. I used 2oz of Strato-Sheen to a gallon of water in my Frankford Tumbler, for 90 minutes. The result is some super bright and clean shells. I used to use the stainless pins but found that I get as good a cleaning without them, and I don't have the hassle off separating the pins from the shells. Without the pins I get a very good cleaning inside and outside. About every five or six months - and when I'm in the mood - I'll de-prime first and then use the stainless pins; it gives me a better cleaning of primer pockets (but I'm, very irregular about doing this). Here, in California, I can put a few trays of cleaned shells in the sun for an hour or so and they are dry - and the sun is hot enough that any moisture in the primer pockets - under the primers - is dried out. I also have one of the Frankford air driers which works very well. Wear nitrile gloves if you're using the Strat-Sheen.

RR

On 5/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Why?

Kind of hard to wet tumble without water don't you think?

I’m building a gun cart and I’m incorporating brothel tokens into it and they clean up very nicely when tumbled with steel pins and the pins are easy to separate. I’ve also cleaned badges, brass belt buckles, etc.. in the wet tumbler.

Brass used with smokeless powder, Strat-o-sheen & water for 45 minutes.  No stainless steel pins.  Tumbler is a converted cement mixer from Harbor Freight - batch size ~ 1000 pcs.

Brass used with Goex, first step is a drop of Dawn liquid detergent, 1/4 tsp Lemishine & water with stainless steel pins for 15 minutes.  This removes all the crud from the brass.  Rinse 3 times, then Strat-o-sheen & water with stainless steel pins for 45 minutes.  Tumbler is a Thumler's - batch size 120-150 pcs.

I do not decap my brass before tumbling.  I get excellent results in both cases.  YMMV.

Holler

Stainless Steel media pins with a concoction of 1 gallon water, 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine, with 2 tablespoons of Maguires Gold Car Wash and Shampoo.  Leaves a slight waxy residue and superb shine!

Marshall,

This may be a dumb question, but does the "waxy residue" act as sufficient lubricant for rifle cases going through a sizing die and powder through expander die?

Is there any difference in media used between a wet tumbler and an ultrasonic cleaner?

You don't use steel pins in a tumbler.  The ultrasonic energy is supposed to take their place, but its the pins that do the real tough cleaning.

I used an ultrasonic cleaner and never ended up with shinny brass.  The inside of the cases never looked really clean.  I purchased Frankford Arsenal's tumbler, use steel pins and some cleaner and now my brass is shinny and clean through out.

7 hours ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

Marshall,

This may be a dumb question, but does the "waxy residue" act as sufficient lubricant for rifle cases going through a sizing die and powder through expander die?

Nope. The residue does seem to have a bit of "lube" to it, even when using carbide dies I still give my brass a squirt of One-Shot. Makes the Dillon run much smoother.

Archived