SASS Wire Forum

Watching this, makes me really feel old.

There were a few I never watched but knew who they were and a couple I never heard of!

Others my brother and I watched were:

* The Dick Van Dyke Show

* Mr. Ed

Getting out of a chair makes me feel old.

Long long time ago, he went by Henry, and he had red hair.

He's the desk sergeant in this picture.

rWMGJblsPbf0FOArykrdEvsO7kO.jpg

Well, I guess (looking at his shoulders) he's the lieutenant.

Wish I could have seen them when they were aired, but: No TV in the North where I grew up. Just CBC Northern Service.

A great blast from the past.  Watched most of them in reruns.   

It's a shame that Lucille Ball is mostly remembered for the ditzy Lucy character rathe than the great dramatic and comedic actress she was.

One thing about those shows, and others from that era, were morality plays.  God, duty, honor, country stuff.

Yep! Watched most of them, except that "Circus Boy". Wife still watches reruns of Superman. Some, like Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Sgt. Preston of the Northwest Mounted Police and Our Miss Brooks, I listened to on radio. (You know, like television without the picture. Meant you had to use your imagination a lot.)  Also, Jack Benny, George Burns & Gracey Allen, Fred Allan, Red Skelton, Phil Harris, and a bunch of others before 1950 (whwe got our first black & white T.V.  I can also remember when a pay phone cost a nickel...briefly, until they raised to a dime.  And Superman actually had phone booths he could use to change in. :ph34r:

I remember the family gathering around the console radio in the living room before TV.  More evocative than most television.  Many years later in the car, there was a fellow named Jean Shepherd (yes, the Christmas Story) who was on when I was commuting.  If traffic was light, I frequently sat in the car in the driveway until he finished his latest story.  I should see if his stories are available on disk.

Why did Gene Autry have a two gun Buscadero rig, but never carried a left hand gun...and to this day I can't understand how a guy could wear a sky blue skin tight outfit and holler "Hi yo silver" to his horse carrying a few hundred pounds of fancy tack and not get laughed all the way to San Francisco.

Very few of these I never saw.

Archived