SASS Wire Forum

Make My 1860 Henry Go Fast

Major Art Tillery

I have never tried to tune/short stroke my own rifle... But considering doing it to my Henry.   Thinking 3rd Gen Short Stroke... But not sure what all to get or is needed to get it done.

Any suggestions folks?

M.A.T.

Wish I’d known this weekend so you could’ve shot mine! I have a 3rd gen in mine from Cowboys & Indians Store. I also got the aluminum carrier which avoided having to modify the brass original. The whole kit dropped right into my gun with minimal adjusting. 

Pioneer Gun Works makes an excellent kit, but it won’t work on some older Uberti rifles. Be sure to ask. Found that out the hard way, but they allowed me to return it without any fuss. 

Don’t forget to add lightened lever and hammer springs. 

You shoot fast enough, kid. You don't need any Henry help. You might already be the fastest Henry shooter in SASS.

:D

You should change your alias to Young Henry.

Now be humble and show everyone that beautiful buckle you just won.

;)

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

You shoot fast enough, kid. You don't need any Henry help. You might already be the fastest Henry shooter in SASS.

:D

You should change your alias to Young Henry.

Now be humble and show everyone that beautiful buckle you just won.

;)

Young Henry is kinda cool....

I just looking for a smoother feel to the action.

14 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Young Henry is kinda cool....

I just looking for a smoother feel to the action.

I have a Longhunter tuned '66 and that action is ridiculously smooth. I'm certain you'd like their work. Not short stroked, just tuned. Sooooooo buttery smooth. :D

6 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wish I’d known this weekend so you could’ve shot mine! I have a 3rd gen in mine from Cowboys & Indians Store. I also got the aluminum carrier which avoided having to modify the brass original. The whole kit dropped right into my gun with minimal adjusting. 

Pioneer Gun Works makes an excellent kit, but it won’t work on some older Uberti rifles. Be sure to ask. Found that out the hard way, but they allowed me to return it without any fuss. 

Don’t forget to add lightened lever and hammer springs. 

Thanks for the info.  Hard to install yourself?

16 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Check this out 

I'd done the same conversion and short stroke kit in a Uberti 1873 a couple of months ago... and everything in it was nearly drop in.  The Pioneer kit includes very well written and illustrated instructions... needed for us neanderthal types!   With the older 1873 I ran into a problem... and decided to just try it.  It came very close to being another drop in after I got the carrier/bolt timing down.  After a call to PGW I understood very easily what was interfering, keeping the lever from returning to parallel to the lower tang.  It doesn't involve bending the lever!

Major, you will for certain need to lighten your springs if you short stroke it, otherwise it will be harder to lever.  Lighter springs are the major part of an action job for a smoother operating rifle.  Several options for lighter springs, you can buy them, grind them, or turn screws.  You could do that first and then decide if you want to short stroke it as well

2 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Thanks for the info.  Hard to install yourself?

Nope. Instructions were very straightforward. All I had to do was bend the lifter arm a minuscule amount. There may may be a bit of filing necessary on that arm where it makes contact with the lever to adjust the timing of the lifter rise and fall, but didn’t have to on my Henry. (Only had to do that on a 5th gen SS kit on an older Uberti 73). Again, the instructions are very straightforward. 

Major, I propose you doctor your Henry just before the next match where you and I compete against each other again. Install the SS and file everything you see. Then put the side plates on backwards and upsidedown. THEN, slide the "stick" in the mag tube BEFORE loading ammo.

Now I'll have a better chance of beating you. :D

Allow me to Encapsulate.  Some experience.  Built competition Toggle Link Rifles for some over 20 years.  So allow be to elucidate.

It need s to be a complete "Package". Just doing part of the job will not result in a harmonious outcome.  So lets start at the top and work aft.  Pull and replace the Firing Pin Return Spring for a lighter one.  Of the business end of your firing pin resembles the leading edge of a basket ball, either re contour it or replace it.  Pioneer Gunworks or Cowboys and Indian Store.  Replace BOTH lever Side Springs.  I prefer Slix, they will need a tiny amount of fitting.  Acquire a Short Stroke Kit.  Pioneer Gunworks or Cowboys and Indian.  I preferred Cowboys and Indian.  Cowboys and Indian are cartridge specific.  Either large bore or Small Bore so lettum

know whatcha got.  Cowboys and Indian also require nearly no fitting.  Pull and replace the Main Spring.  Couple of places now have reduced power Mains so you don't have to learn Spring Grinding 101.  Shotgun Boogie comes to mind.

Properly done, your Henry will run as fast as any Toggle Link Rifle.  If it's a .45, your gonna want to anneal some cases so it doesn't foul so quick.  Dash Caliber, no sweat.  Also suggest you make ya a little Spacer for the magazine so you can get your supporting hand a bit away from the the frame.  HAVE FUN

I retired so I can't take the work.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Allow me to Encapsulate.  Some experience.  Built competition Toggle Link Rifles for some over 20 years.  So allow be to elucidate.

It need s to be a complete "Package". Just doing part of the job will not result in a harmonious outcome.  So lets start at the top and work aft.  Pull and replace the Firing Pin Return Spring for a lighter one.  Of the business end of your firing pin resembles the leading edge of a basket ball, either re contour it or replace it.  Pioneer Gunworks or Cowboys and Indian Store.  Replace BOTH lever Side Springs.  I prefer Slix, they will need a tiny amount of fitting.  Acquire a Short Stroke Kit.  Pioneer Gunworks or Cowboys and Indian.  I preferred Cowboys and Indian.  Cowboys and Indian are cartridge specific.  Either large bore or Small Bore so lettum

know whatcha got.  Cowboys and Indian also require nearly no fitting.  Pull and replace the Main Spring.  Couple of places now have reduced power Mains so you don't have to learn Spring Grinding 101.  Shotgun Boogie comes to mind.

Properly done, your Henry will run as fast as any Toggle Link Rifle.  If it's a .45, your gonna want to anneal some cases so it doesn't foul so quick.  Dash Caliber, no sweat.  Also suggest you make ya a little Space for the magazine so you can get your supporting hand a bit away from the the frame.  HAVE FUN

I retired so I can't take the work.

Thank you sir!  That was the kind of info I was looking for.   Pondering on doing it myself or sending to Boomstick.  But I Amy try it once just to see if I can get it done.

Thanks for the info!

21 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Cowboys & Indians kit gives excellent instructions on how to modify the brass carrier and also bend/file the lifter arm to adjust timing. 

What about Shotgun Boogie's kit with the set screws?

30 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

What about Shotgun Boogie's kit with the set screws?

I don’t have personal experience with an entire SB kit, but am familiar with the set screw approach for the lever arm from an earlier attempt on my Henry. After two SS kits from Cowboys & Indians, I’m sold on their approach and find bending the carrier lifter arm more intuitive. It’s a very small tweak, not gorilla moves. Straightforward and simple even to someone like me. YMMV. 

The C&I 3rd gen kit with aluminum carrier dropped right into my Uberti Henry without fitting. The 5th gen kit I dropped into my 73 carbine was another matter because it’s an older model Uberti where I kept the original brass carrier. As mentioned above, PGW’s kit wouldn’t work in my old ‘73. They’re very up front about it, so if you decide to query them, be  sure to tell them about your gun before ordering. 

OK, I just gotta do it...

This is what happens around these parts when a feller can flat out shoot a Henry. :D

image000000(9).jpg.cce78c02ff38eb6ced76a6c4ee4f5c40.jpg

An no, that buckle weren't won by me.

22 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t have personal experience with an entire SB kit, but am familiar with the set screw approach for the lever arm from an earlier attempt on my Henry. After two SS kits from Cowboys & Indians, I’m sold on their approach and find bending the carrier lifter arm more intuitive. It’s a very small tweak, not gorilla moves. Straightforward and simple even to someone like me. YMMV. 

The C&I 3rd gen kit with aluminum carrier dropped right into my Uberti Henry without fitting. The 5th gen kit I dropped into my 73 carbine was another matter because it’s an older model Uberti where I kept the original brass carrier. As mentioned above, PGW’s kit wouldn’t work in my old ‘73. They’re very up front about it, so if you decide to query them, be  sure to tell them about your gun before ordering. 

I will give them a call this week and get an idea of cost of everything I need

10 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

OK, I just gotta do it...

This is what happens around these parts when a feller can flat out shoot a Henry. :D

image000000(9).jpg.cce78c02ff38eb6ced76a6c4ee4f5c40.jpg

An no, that buckle weren't won by me.

It is a dang nice buckle.

Archived