SASS Wire Forum

Sport or game?

Tennessee williams

I took a day or so to think about this topic and I've formed the following opinion. Take it for what it's worth, which won't buy you much.

Each individual playing our game or competing in our sport does so for different reasons and may have different motivations in mind. While there are common denominators which tend to push the debate to the definition of sport, I would offer the opinion that it depends solely on the shooters mentality. 

If you participate in a match purely or even mostly to dress the part and pride yourself on historical accuracy, you probably see this more as a game. If you participate mostly for the competition aspect you probably view it more as a sport. I won't get into the "in betweens" but I don't know a single person participating who does not enjoy CAS. Isn't it great we have an activity in which we can participate and have fun regardless of our what our main goal is? 

Screenshot_20220511-201803_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b7ca92456653813eb66619ce0f63dcbb.jpg

Whenever discussions take place regarding target size and distances, if someone suggests they would like to see the distances increased by even just a couple of steps it is quickly pointed out to them that SASS is entertainment and it would make the shooting too difficult for new shooters (juniors, wives, elderly, people with physical issues).  

Doesn't matter how one classifies it. Some call it a sport, some a game. 

For me, it's a game and a sport...but mainly, it's a place that I can go and identify with like minded people. People that generally have the same values as I do.

Sport....Game...it's more like the Cheers of shooting sports..."Sometimes you want to go where nobody knows your name". And doesn't care.

Tennessee is correct in his assessment.

A GAME is (primarily) played for the enjoyment of the participants.

A SPORT is a game played for the (primary) reasons of challenge, recognition, ranking and reward.

(Including self recognition)

A game can include reward.

A sport can include enjoyment.

It is determined by attitude of the participants AND the presence of reward.

This is why the definition is so nebulous as participants at the same event will have differing (primary) reasons for being there.

Some are playing a game

Some are participating in a sport

Speed, skill, ability have zero bearing on the definition either.

I have seen shooters running times in the low teens who were PLAYING a game

and

I have seen shooters shooting 40's who were approaching this as dead serious SPORT.

6 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Whenever discussions take place regarding target size and distances, if someone suggests they would like to see the distances increased by even just a couple of steps it is quickly pointed out to them that SASS is entertainment and it would make the shooting too difficult for new shooters (juniors, wives, elderly, people with physical issues).  

I consider myself a pretty decent shot and enjoy a challenging stage with more difficult targets. My better half of 42 years (alias May B Knott) however has poorer eyesight and a lot less training and experience, yet the smile on her face after a clean stage/match is way worth the current standards embraced by the majority of SASS. So yeah, big easy to hit targets make it more fun for everyone, even if you're not that one.

3 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

I consider myself a pretty decent shot and enjoy a challenging stage with more difficult targets. My better half of 42 years (alias May B Knott) however has poorer eyesight and a lot less training and experience, yet the smile on her face after a clean stage/match is way worth the current standards embraced by the majority of SASS. So yeah, big easy to hit targets make it more fun for everyone, even if you're not that one.

If everything else was exactly the same with the targets 2-3 yards farther, that would prevent less experienced shooters from enjoying themselves? They'd still be big and close targets. We're not talking about 10 more yards and making the targets smaller. 

Early on in my SASS career, I was more serious about having a good match and being recognized as a 'fairly good and competitive shooter'.

But even back then, I never took it serious.  I never let a Miss or a 'P' dictate the outcome of my great day having fun with friends.

NOW.....  I feel like NOBODY has anything to prove to anyone.   I don't have anything to prove to anyone and nobody has anything to prove to me.

So I show up, share a genuine smile with everyone, hug a few beautiful ladies,

and try to shoot a SAFE match, although I still hope to shoot it quickly.

P.S. - Hey Tennessee, ain't you got some work to do besides creating stuff for the wire?

Ain't there a DQ somewhere you can go sit in line to order a B'split?

:lol:

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

...P.S. - Hey Tennessee, ain't you got some work to do besides creating stuff for the wire?

..........Widder

He might've been making that post on his phone will he was standing in line. :)

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Early on in my SASS career, I was more serious about having a good match and being recognized as a 'fairly good and competitive shooter'.

But even back then, I never took it serious.  I never let a Miss or a 'P' dictate the outcome of my great day having fun with friends.

NOW.....  I feel like NOBODY has anything to prove to anyone.   I don't have anything to prove to anyone and nobody has anything to prove to me.

So I show up, share a genuine smile with everyone, hug a few beautiful ladies,

and try to shoot a SAFE match, although I still hope to shoot it quickly.

P.S. - Hey Tennessee, ain't you got some work to do besides creating stuff for the wire?

..........Widder

Yeah, yeah, yeah…it’s a game and you have nothing to prove to ANYONE except @Red Knee with the fastest ‘97 runs on Side Match Day! :P

For me, it’s a little of both …AND a business. Bottom line: if it weren’t FUN, I wouldn’t work so hard… I love this game/Sport and all the folks who play it! 

Hugs! 

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah…it’s a game and you have nothing to prove to ANYONE except @Red Knee with the fastest ‘97 runs on Side Match Day! :P

For me, it’s a little of both …AND a business. Bottom line: if it weren’t FUN, I wouldn’t work so hard… I love this game/Sport and all the folks who play it! 

Hugs! 

AND....... us 'huggers' are glad you love it also.

:wub:

..........Widder

I Shoot for fun and to hang out with good people. I plan on attending my first awards banquet at Tennessee State to watch some of those good people get awards. Hopefully there will be booze too.:D and food!!

2 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

More importantly, if what we do is a sport, does that make us athletes?

Rev. Chase

I'm feeling athletic!

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Neither, it’s an addiction.

You know, that’s true. Thankfully, there’s no 12 Step Program for it! :D  

Big hugs and look forward to seeing you and your family in Georgia!!

Um, they call the entire genre of shooting firearms.... Shooting SPORTS. 

JEL

39 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

More importantly, if what we do is a sport, does that make us athletes?

Rev. Chase

Yessir! By definition a game is participated in by players. Sports are participated in by sportsmen or athletes.

If the game requires mental and physical exertion it is referred to as a game or sport and both terms are correct.  A game that requires only mental exertion is only referred to as a game.  Card game, checkers, monopoly etc.

27 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I never really gave it that much thought, but do you know how many sports they compete in at the Olympic games?

No, but I'm gonna grab a six pack and watch a baseball sport on TV with a few friends.

Okay, maybe a 12 pack....

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hayes #41999 said:

If the game requires mental and physical exertion it is referred to as a game or sport and both terms are correct.  A game that requires only mental exertion is only referred to as a game.  Card game, checkers, monopoly etc.

I guess my golf Sport is coming along  quite well.:P

6 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I don't know that I've ever thought about this particular topic.  And it just doesn't matter.  However, it would be fun to discuss with some adult beverages.

Well, I'll have one or ten if you will.

8 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Everybody knows it's closer for you to come here than it is for me to go there.:ph34r:

Well, that means you get to come here.  We can even pull in some range time B)

Archived