SASS Wire Forum

Bosh: Legacy mistake?

was watching episode 3 where Harry is reporting to Whitney Vance (William Devane) about Devane's son's death in RVN

Harry says the son was stationed in Da Nang but was KIA in Tay Ninh; that's a distance of about 360 miles.   That seems a bit far to be operating from your duty station

now haven't seen any more and this certainly could be explained in numerous ways.

Boy, do I need to get a life

Bosch. NYTimes gave a great review to the new episodes. Looking forward to it.

Don't follow the comment. In the books, Harry is a Vietnam vet, but the passage of time makes it necessary for him to be a Gulf vet in the TV series. But a son in Vietnam? I don't grasp the possible reference.

Harry is working for William's Devane's character who had a son out of wedlock.  Harry is tasked with finding him.  turns out Devane's son was KIA in RVN

my observation is the son was stationed in Da Nang but KIA in Tay Ninh.  That's a pretty far distance between places.  So far has really nothing to do with the plot--just caught my eye/ear

Any idea what his son’s job was? If a grunt it would be unlikely, but if one of the soecial ops types, more a possibility. 
Or just writers who aren’t good researchers.

18 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I was sad to see this series end. It was very good.

Bosch: Legacy is a continuation of the Bosch character, just not as a police officer.

And I'm glad I saw this thread, I wasn't aware that Amazon had finally started showing Bosch: Legacy episodes

The TV mostly (read: mostly) follows the books.
It has been tweaked for the times, i.e. Vietnam vs Afghanistan

The Vance story line is not in the books, as far as I remember.
I have read the entire series, 2x or more.

I'm completely enjoying the Legacy series.
Warts or not, I have a high tolerance for inconsistencies... just to enjoy the stories.
I'm a fan.

Sad part:  Connelly continues to write books, but went "woke" in the last ones, as a Trump hater in the story Law of Innocence.

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Warts or not, I have a high tolerance for inconsistencies... just to enjoy the stories.
I'm a fan.

Sad part:  Connelly continues to write books, but went "woke" in the last ones, as a Trump hater in the story Law of Innocence.

I'm pretty certain that the Vance story line is in the books; need to look back to be able to ID the book involved, but my memory is that there is a grandchild, and that somebody in the family is involved in Chicano art.

LL

If so, I stand corrected, thanks.
Sometimes I can't remember what we had for dinner last night.
This is actually a blessing... every book and movie in my collection is always a first-run...

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm a fan.

IMNSHO, disliking Mr. Trump does not necessarily make one a "hater" or "woke".  I have no admiration for the guy, but I am far from "woke"; I just have no tolerance for braggarts, liars, or pompous politicians.  Of any political persuasion.

LL

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm a fan.

I haven't watched Bosch Legacy yet, so I don't know how much they changed (if at all) the plot but the character of Whitney Vance comes from the book "Wrong Side of Goodbye".

4 hours ago, Chantry said:

Bosch: Legacy is a continuation of the Bosch character, just not as a police officer.

And I'm glad I saw this thread, I wasn't aware that Amazon had finally started showing Bosch: Legacy episodes

Hey, thanks for the clarification. I read right over 'legacy' -- I'll track it down. I read all of the Connelly's books.

Titus Welliver is collaborating and co-producing with Connelly.
He is also mentioned in the author's notes in the front of the most recent books.
Very enjoyable reads and TV watches, both.

Some naval corpsman are cross trained as marine corpsman. My cousin did so.

He was in the navy a couple years then had as he put it given the opportunity

to be  cross trained. he had to go  back thru an accelerated Marine boot camp for mostly combat

arms training.  he  later was stationed in Italy but was sent to Lebanon for some weeks .

He was a survivor of the barracks bombing.  So yes you could die far from your duty station.

He returned to naval service until the first Iraq war and again served with the Marines in liberating Kuwait.

He said the  real Marines were always kind to him as they knew he was soft from naval duty. They

would help him carry his pack and such as he was quite out of shape compared to them.

His words not mine. He retired from the navy only to die at a young age to cancer. Seems

many Marines he served with also died of multiple cancers. He said it was probably either

the oil they ingested or from all the smoke they ate! RIP James !!

Just finished the first two episodes of Bosch: Legacy.   If you liked Bosch, you'll like Bosch: Legacy

Archived