SASS Wire Forum

4-inch/50-caliber gun

Buckshot Bear

In the WWII submarine warfare book that I am currently enjoying reading, the subs have 4-inch/50-caliber gun deck guns. 

I couldn't work out what "4-inch/50-caliber guns" where till I googled.....still a bit puzzled about the 50 caliber designation that the barrel is '50 calibers long'. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-inch/50-caliber_gun

16 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

still a bit puzzled about the 50 caliber designation that the barrel is '50 calibers long'. 

You have a 4-inch (10cm) cannon. And the barrel is 50 calibers long. So 4 inches times 50. The barrel is 200 inches (5 meters) long.

1943 vintage Coast guard Cutter that went to VN in '69 had a 5"38.  5" projectile.  .  Never measured the bbl  but that could be right.  Mostly just called the 5" gun.  Just an Old Coastie.  

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You have a 4-inch (10cm) cannon. And the barrel is 50 calibers long. So 4 inches times 50. The barrel is 200 inches (5 meters) long.

^^^^ Correct-A-Mundo :)

US Navy had a 5" 38 caliber gun and a 5" 25 caliber gun.  38 caliber, 5 X 38 = 190 inches.  5 X 25 =125 inches.

The Mark VII, 16" 50 caliber is a whopping 800inches long.

A very old method for stating gun size.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Ah that now makes sense explained like that. 

We had a thread about a week ago on this.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

In the WWII submarine warfare book that I am currently enjoying reading, the subs have 4-inch/50-caliber gun deck guns. 

I couldn't work out what "4-inch/50-caliber guns" where till I googled.....still a bit puzzled about the 50 caliber designation that the barrel is '50 calibers long'. 

From the reference given, I calculated that the barrel of a 4”- 50 would be 4”x50 = 200” long or 16’ - 8”. I served on the USS Guadalcanal LPH 7. It was armed at the time with three 5”- 50’s. The barrel would have been 5” x 50 = 250” or

20’ - 10” long.

Not being a Gunner’s Mate, but having seen the Guns I could believe that. I know we manhandled many 5”- 50 shells below decks during “Underway Replenishment at Sea”. A fun exercise to say the very most. :D

CJ

1 minute ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

From the reference given, I calculated that the barrel of a 4”- 50 would be 4”x50 = 200” long or 16’ - 8”. I served on the USS Guadalcanal LPH 7. It was armed at the time with three 5”- 50’s. The barrel would have been 5” x 50 = 250” or

20’ - 10” long.

Not being a Gunner’s Mate, but having seen the Guns I could believe that. I know we manhandled many 5”- 50 shells below decks during “Underway Replenishment at Sea”. A fun exercise to say the very most. :D

CJ

Obviously I was slow In responding.

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Here is a link to more information then you'll ever want to know about naval guns:  http://www.navweaps.com/

Archived