SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning Brass Carrier for ‘73 what works best

Cleaning the bottom the first time can take a while as it is lacquer coated to keep it shiny. At least mine was. Otherwise Brasso works as good as anything.

I use my ultrasonic. Clean as a whistle in 5 minutes without touching it. 

JEL

I have cleaned a sticky carrier with some hot coffee dumped on it and ran the lever a few times. Shirttail told me after the next stage that was the best that rifle ever ran. Sometimes the simplest things work the best, my guess would be the acid in the coffee worked pretty well.

kR

I close the lever and spray Break Free CLP in the action. It foams up and I work the lever and watch the black stuff drop out. I repeat a few times until what drops out is clean.  WELL lubed. Dry patch the bore once, wrap a towel around the action and put it in the case. 

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

JEL

I put mine in the Ultrasonic & it removed the gold anodizing. Now, it looks like a titanium carrier. Still works fine, so I guess that didn't screw anything up.

2 hours ago, Max Payne said:

I put mine in the Ultrasonic & it removed the gold anodizing.

Yeah, an aluminum carrier like you have has to be cleaned a little more carefully.  Most acidic cleaners and even some basic ones will attack anodizing.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Max Payne said:

I put mine in the Ultrasonic & it removed the gold anodizing. Now, it looks like a titanium carrier. Still works fine, so I guess that didn't screw anything up.

I guess I won’t be buying a gold carrier like the upper crust does! B)

Kajun

Hoppes #9 takes smokeless residue right off of brass or aluminum carriers; especially if you soak the carrier for a minute or two beforehand.

Spray carburetor cleaner also cleans them up.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I have cleaned a sticky carrier with some hot coffee dumped on it and ran the lever a few times. Shirttail told me after the next stage that was the best that rifle ever ran. Sometimes the simplest things work the best, my guess would be the acid in the coffee worked pretty well.

kR

Nope, it was the caffeine!!! 

While in the gun Hornady one shot (not the case lube). Spray, run it a little, wipe off inside. Quick and easy.

In my sordid past, I admit to loading that Fad Heathen Smokeless Stuff.  My "Go To" powder was Tight Group.  When the carrier got gummy, I pulled it out, gave it a soak in Break Free then scrubbed it up with brass brushes.

Now that I've seen the light, I toss the Carrier Block in the Vinegar water with the fired cases and when dry I toss it in with the cases in the Lizard Litter.

41 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

...Now that I've seen the light, I toss the Carrier Block in the Vinegar water with the fired cases and when dry I toss it in with the cases in the Lizard Litter.

This is a Smith Shop carrier, right?  No problem with grit from the cleaning media getting into the spring loaded gate?

I throw it and all the other parts in my ultrasonic cleaner and let it run thru two cycles. While that’s running I clean the rifle & bore. 

The smokeless cleaner I like best is M-Pro 7. 

Clean... after shooting smokeless?    Okay, at least once a year, I clean.  Hoppe's #9, a brass brush, dry, then lube... lightly.... VERY lightly!  Reassemble, repeat a year later.  I'm a little more aggressive after shooting BP, when the match is over I disassemble, clean with Hoppe's #9, dry, make sure ALL the fouling is removed...  sometimes after a 3-day match I have to scrap off some of the more burned-on fouling.  Do NOT lube, and reassemble.

13 hours ago, Max Payne said:

Yeah,  you need to be careful what cleaners you're using in the ultrasonic. Simple green "green", which is what a lot of people recommend,  is actually pretty acidic and will effect anodizing. It'll really mess up those T.i.N coatings,  don't ask me how I know.  The best cleaner I have found is the Simple Green's Extreme Aircraft and Precision. I mix it 50/50 with water and it works great. It's much more milder than the original stuff and half the price of MPro 7. Also,  MPro 7 goes bad after awhile and at $75 a gallon you can't afford to throw it away. 

JEL

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

Yeah,  you need to be careful what cleaners you're using in the ultrasonic. Simple green "green", which is what a lot of people recommend,  is actually pretty acidic and will effect anodizing. It'll really mess up those T.i.N coatings,  don't ask me how I know.  The best cleaner I have found is the Simple Green's Extreme Aircraft and Precision. I mix it 50/50 with water and it works great. It's much more milder than the original stuff and half the price of MPro 7. Also,  MPro 7 goes bad after awhile and at $75 a gallon you can't afford to throw it away. 

JEL

Yep. It was Simple Green that removed the anodizing.

Abilene :)

Yes. and. No.  Halfway carriers are Smith Shop carriers.  Have to take a toothbrush to the spring assembly after cleaning.  No biggie.  The other half are OEM.  No worries there either.  Couple drops of Mobil 1 on reassembly.

OOPS:  I forgot.  Since seeing the light, my ammunition runs clean enough I only need to pull the Carrier Block about once every six or eight matches.  Guns run VERY clean.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Kid Rich said:

kR

I did that once and my rifle was up all night!!

On 5/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, John E. Law said:

JEL

Me too. 

Dawn dishsoap hot water and the Wife's  toothbrush that's all you need :D

Howdy

Why in the world do you need to clean a carrier that has Smokeless residue on it? Does it need to be really shiny?

My 44-40 1860 Henry has never seen anything but Black Powder ammo. It has a nicely stained patina. Remove the carrier to clean it? That's a lot of unnecessary work, particularly on a Henry which is not as easy to take down as a '73. All my carrier gets is a little scrubbing with my favorite water based BP solvent on some Q-Tips wherever they can reach, followed by a little Ballistol to make sure it stays nice and slippery.

pnkWaJtUj

pnvy2lwXj

On 5/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Kid Rich said:

kR

I would’ve thought the cream and sugar would make it stickier ;) :lol:

Archived