SASS Wire Forum

ROA problem

Swap the springs and see if the problem moves to the other gun. Look for something binding.

Lucky

Check that the grip is properly aligned with the frame. Seen that happen on a Vaquero once.

You can check for the hammer draging by coloring the sides of the hammer with a sharpie.

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Lighter springs on cap and ball revolvers is not always a good idea. :ph34r:

So true. My 1860s will run with lighter springs but I had to clean them thoroughly between stages. Decided that the factory springs would be more reliable so I went back to them.

I wish someone made a spring for Colt clones that we 1/2 way inbetween a factory spring and the Wolff springs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...I changed out the spring and put in a heavier one. That seemed to basically solve the issue although there was one chamber that did not go off the first time around. I going to paint that nipple red and not load that chamber for now. Not messing with it anymore until after the PA state match,

Hochbauer

If you have not ran a pick in the nipples do so.  Carbon can build up in the nipple hole enough that you retardthe fire coming out the front.  Don't ask me about this and Hooten Old Town KY State.

I shot the first few Hooten Old Town KY State when the owner rode around on his horse.  Had two chambers not fire on one stage, as I was talking and did not run the wire into them before capping.  The powder was producing a lot of carbon so there was no hole through the nipple.

Shot a Indiana State shoot one year when they had about 2" in an hour.  All rounds went bang though I did load under my hat at one stage as it had no cover.

Archived