SASS Wire Forum

You're invited - or maybe not!

I've seen ads and articles like the one below stating "Open to the General Public".

20220511_151010.thumb.jpg.f0dcab4f3014a7acff7013f6680436be.jpg

Got me thinking, what other kind of public is there? Private Public? Government Public?

Had to look it up, of course, and was surprised at the answer.

Snip-it_1652280423533.jpg.3fffcf7118614ae7c324ed367af55f9c.jpg

Did hou know this?

Many places I frequent in my profession are not open to the general public. It's wholesale/contractors only.

I think many people are put off by scrap yards. Honestly, meth addicts and other druggies are constantly selling stolen or found items to scrap. It is almost laughable to see the small piles of items I have seen them sell. I have to wonder who's yard it came from. I am selling bad motors and such and get hundreds to thousands of dollars while they get $1.23.

Some of the scrap yards try to make it more appealing to the unexperienced and even have special curb unloading where the person never gets out of the car. They pull up, an attendant comes out and grabs the aluminum cans, brings back their money and away they go.

You would be surprised at how many people don’t know that they can take their own “recycling” in to a scrap yard or trash processor. 

Last year we were talking about this at work because people were cutting ground wires and signal cables off our railroad tracks and catenary poles. Guys were baffled by this and why someone would do that. Some couldn’t believe that 1. People would do this for “minimal” money and 2. That someone actually could walk in off the street and sell “scrap” metal. 

The money actually isn’t very “minimal” in some cases. 

People make a business of charging to pick it up and then getting paid to drop it off. Definition of Win win

Back in the early 60’s I worked as a ground hand on an electric utility line crew. Almost every lineman carried a ‘lunch box’ to work. Many were empty going in to work, often they were much heavier going home. The rule was “Never steal from the Company”. The linemen were very strict about never cutting Company wire. Even we restrung new heavier wire to replace bare cooper, the cooper got rolled up and thrown into the Company scrap bins to be sold. However, outside contractors temporarily services that had been removed to put in a permanent Company installed service were fair game. On the whole the line personnel were pretty loyal to the Company. 

The only time I ever heard of a Company employee stealing Company wire, was a yard hand who set a reel of wire on a stand next to a chain link fence. He came back at night and fished the end of the reel through the fence and cut lengths off. The scrap dealer he went to turned him in. The scraper had been caught once buying suspect material and didn’t want to repeat that ordeal. 

CJ

The North Korean “General” public. :D

Everybody else is meaningless. 

42D3212F-DBE8-4552-8121-38F3C0CC3C9B.webp

Archived