SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Bisleys and Octagonal barrels?

Dantankerous

I've seen some really nice plowhandled  Rugers with the octagonal barrels and that look is growing on me. I've not seen any Ruger Bisleys with that barrel though. Anyone have experience with that configuration they could comment on? Weight? Balance? Overall look. Etc?

Thanks!

I’m thinking of having mine done… not that it helps answer your question at the moment.

Based on feel of the plow handle models I’d go with a 5” barrel. 

There was a wonderful pair sold here not long ago.  I was sorely tempted even though I don't have a single Ruger (or a lot in the gun fund) at the moment. A very attractive concept if well executed.  You might be able to search classified and find the details.

17 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I've seen some really nice plowhandled  Rugers with the octagonal barrels and that look is growing on me. I've not seen any Ruger Bisleys with that barrel though. Anyone have experience with that configuration they could comment on? Weight? Balance? Overall look. Etc?

Thanks!

I have a pair of Blackhawks with octagonal barrels for sale on the classifieds. Go back a few days for pictures.

They're very nice and shoot very well.

I currently shoot 5.5" barrels so I'd prefer to stay with those. As I tend to shoot 250 grain bullets occasionally the extra weight of the octagonals wouldn't hurt.

I like this pair. Built by Ain’t Dunit. Started life as .357 and he barreled them  and built new cylinders and they’re 44-40 now. Very nice guns and my pistol misses really dropped after I started using these. He had antique buffalo horn grips on them and I bought a set of the Altamont grips here on the Wire Clasifieds that I like better. That’s a solid brass sight  mortised into the barrel. They are some sweet shooting pistols. I have a hard time choosing between these and my Old Armies come match day. I really like the antiquing job that he did and the candy cane engraving. These guns are very nice to sit and fondle, Mrs. Lose is not impressed.:D

04DCB8D5-D74E-477D-BDF5-2CFEBCC9707D.jpeg

14 minutes ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

What’s the barrel length on those @Yul Lose?

5 1/2”

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I currently shoot 5.5" barrels so I'd prefer to stay with those. As I tend to shoot 250 grain bullets occasionally the extra weight of the octagonals wouldn't hurt.

Snake Oil George does beautiful octagon barrels. He did a pair of stainless old armies for me.

My brother has one in .45 he had customized about 20 years ago, and loves it. I think that the barrel might be marginally heavier than a plain round barrel, but it looks cool and it probably damps recoil a bit.

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Snake Oil George does beautiful octagon barrels. He did a pair of stainless old armies for me.

Snake Oil George did a set of stainless Old model Vaquero’s for me in 44spc. 5” octagon barrels, Chamfered the cylinder and extractor shroud and put new model Vaquero grip frames on as the old model frames were just to big for me to shoot one handed comfortably . Roy’s Creek Dan did the lowered hammer short stroke and action work on them, no way I could be happier! They shoot and handle incredibly well! Sorry I jumped on your post Dantankerous with nothing  

to add to your inquiry but just had to brag on these two fine gunsmiths!

On mine (plow handles), It really helped them shoot flatter and I like the balance/weight on mine.  I went with 5.5" from Snake Oil George.  When I sent them to get engraved, I shot my backup 5.5" round barrels and I could really tell the difference.  I plan to get my backups converted over to octagons as well.

I think you will really like them once they are done.  I also think they look really kool.  

Totes

I've heard that Boomstick is doing the Octagons also.

Larry Crow    aka  Misouri Cyclone  in Arkansaw  has done those, and teaches young gunsmiths how to do it,

Archived