SASS Wire Forum

Exceeding Gunsmithing Skills

Griff

Or mechanic skills, plumbing, electrician... whatever!

I installed a C45S carrier in my Uberti "73 along with a PGW Super Short Stroke kit... Finally got past the carrier/bolt interference... and loaded up several C45S rounds with a 160 grain bullet.  Went to cycle the first one... chambers fully, but... the lever is about 3/8" from contacting the trigger block safety!  With the factory links in, it works perfectly... I've had this rifle since 1987, and it was my main match rifle until 2014 when I replaced it with a 18-½ Border Rifle.  I did the same modification on that rifle and everything worked perfectly, no additional massaging necessary.  What sez the peanut gallery?  What'd I do wrong?

I'd go back and re-read their super short stroke kit instructions.  Perhaps you missed a lifter arm fitting step.   And perhaps you got sent a short stroke lifter arm instead of a super short stroke arm. 

Then I would lay your old lever (which you are reusing) right over a newer lever (like in the Border rifle).   A bent lever could cause the problem you are now seeing, I would expect.   Guns that experienced a bent lever that I have worked on gave exactly that same indication - lever would not close up to the tang.  But they would show that problem with non-short stroke links, too.  Sounds like yours does not fail to close with factory links back in.

What you describe is the links are going straight (locking) well before the lever has completed the stroke.  A bent lever sure can cause that.

Yeah, I'll second ASlim's suggestion.  The Alves are real good at helping out on the phone with fitting of their short strokes.  Call 'em!

good luck, GJ

Hmmm... fixed it?  I really kinda wanted this '73 to remain a 45 Colt gun... I did buy it second hand, from a friend that'd had two extractors replaced by Uberti... the second time it went to VTI while someone from the factory was there.  Came back in perfect shape.  It's never seen a factory load, and has seen exactly one squib in the 35 years I've owned it.  Put the factory parts back in, and it works perfectly!    Again!

So... I took my much newer 1860 Henry and installed the parts in it...  In the 1873, it wouldn't go into battery with a round in it, while in the 1860, it will.  No the lever is still not parallel to the lower tang, without a trigger block safety, it locks up tight, and cycles my dummy rounds from magazine to ejection perfectly.  I'll test fire it tomorrow... and call PGW.

Talked to Joe @ Pioneer, learned trick... working now!

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What was this trick you speak of?

Filing on the surface of the carrier bar that mates up against the front of the lever.  Sez it's not a common problem... but easily corrected.  Which I'll attest to, took several trial fittings to get it done, but... this kit will live in the 1860... 

Archived