SASS Wire Forum

Spirit renewed -- ready for more abuse from the reprobates

Steak frites, escargo, onion soup, seared foie gras with white asperges, crab and langoustines, ris de veau, and moules frites were all boxes I wanted to check on the 9 day foodie trip to Paris. It was just what I needed, and it will be my last overseas trip. And what was the first thing I ate back in the good old USofA? A hamburger.

280112729_10224642901517619_4369647035236819718_n.jpg

279358533_10224637538783554_8077986192297307381_n.jpg

279549629_10224637539343568_2041110519358564276_n.jpg

278977305_10224634053896434_3505606783147627387_n.jpg

279899266_10224627921063117_5721699764277279015_n.jpg

279284149_10224622074396954_492844540309698920_n.jpg

279375895_10224612516398010_3921627961282560762_n.jpg

I don't know much about fishing, so I'm not sure what this reprobait you're talking about is, but it looks like it's some awfully expensive stuff in them pictures. Is it for foreign catfish, or what?

Oh, and how is the fishing overseas? And welcome back!

Man, I remember when all upscale restaurants here had ris de veau and other French classics on the menu. It was practically the definition of a fine dining place to have something of a Continental menu; pepper steak, steak bordeaux, etc. too.

All gone with the wind. I haven't seen any of those for many years now, alas. Time to return to Paris; haven't been for many years.

The sprinkling with holy water was a nice touch for such a meal....

31 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

And what was the first thing I ate back in the good old USofA? A hamburger.

Lookin 'hard for a drive-in, searchin' for a corner café

Where hamburgers sizzle on the open grill night and day

And the jukebox is jumpin' with records back in the USA.

17 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I still think that eating snails had to have started as a dare between cavemen.

Seriously, who would ever look at a snail and think, 'Hey, that looks like it could be pretty tasty"?

When I was in Scouts, and would come back from long hikes famished, that's what I thought about raw Pop Tarts.

Europeans cover asparagus so it stays white, and like it to be larger in size than is preferred in the U.S.  Have never tried it, but it is apparently a very important veg and season  over there.  Have some of my own, wild, to be picked tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Europeans cover asparagus so it stays white, and like it to be larger in size than is preferred in the U.S.  Have never tried it, but it is apparently a very important veg and season  over there.  Have some of my own, wild, to be picked tomorrow.

Yep, and they love to serve it with various sauces such as mousseline sauce, Bordelaise sauce, etc.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Seriously, who would ever look at a snail and think, 'Hey, that looks like it could be pretty tasty"?

What about the first brave person to chug down on an oyster!

Never thought I’d ever try escargot, but on a NASCAR/Winston weekend in Loudon, NH, the company paid for a seafood/lobster feast at one of the really OG lobster shacks near the race track, I let some of the other performers and crew guys talk/dare me to try ‘em!

They ain’t bad!! They’re especially good when someone else is paying for ‘em!!

The steak and lobster was much better, I’d have to admit!

‘Merica! :lol:

When I worked in a kitchen, 5 decades ago; the shells came in large cardboard box and the snails came in a #10 can. We mixed garlic and a little parsley with butter. Scooped up some butter with the shell, push in a snail, done, S car go.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When I worked in a kitchen, 5 decades ago; the shells came in large cardboard box and the snails came in a #10 can. We mixed garlic and a little parsley with butter. Scooped up some butter with the shell, push in a snail, done, S car go.

They served them with a soft cheese over the opening of the shell when I had them, very garlic forward!

57 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I never tried them.:mellow:

I did on a dare. Found out they’re good. I just wonder who was the first guy who ate one. ;) 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What about the first brave person to chug down on an oyster!

And how hard up were they to break a rock open and eat something that looks like snot?:blink:

Remember, eating them goes back to caveman days.  There's been evidence found in Spain of Neanderthals eating shellfish. 

You ain't knapping an oyster knife out of flint, so opening one was more brute force unless eating them cooked came first.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You ain't knapping an oyster knife out of flint, so opening one was more brute force unless eating them cooked came first.

In Swiss Family Robinson, once they've been shipwrecked the father introduces the family to oysters. They have a fire built and they set the oysters at the edge of the fire. Eventually the heat causes the oysters to open the shell, and then they eat the cooked oyster out of the shell.

4 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Probably the same guy that said "hey, you know what?  I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes out that chicken's butt".

Archived