SASS Wire Forum

Motorized Gun Cart

Bisley Joe

I've seen a few pictures of people using motorized gun carts. Has anything changed regarding them in the rules?

I have thought of a gas powered one, but considering steam or more likely electric.

Here's some neat ones that would be very nice:

100_0250.thumb.JPG.529885f479b448b3c8aec0f7d59760b3.JPG

1886+Benz+Motorwagen+_24Bit-915985643.jpg

1898-Popp-1909768798.jpg

1373570c71aa3e944c784b3fca2155a3.jpg

FairchildHorselessCarriage.jpg.daaa945156d0fff4b8918be1372ca853.jpg

us-army-machine-gun-carrier-richy-ross-restored-it.jpg.c2d7ca5925a95c73ba0669014bb1534a.jpg

Most major matches will require you to register the motorized gun carts. I know at EOT this year they required a special permit, no cost but had to be approved.

TB

That's my daughter in the top picture. The machine was built by Cowboy Shooter A. E. Irons and is powered by a recoil start Honda engine. Second from the bottom is the same machine from a different angle. A. E. Irons is the short guy with the black cowboy hat and black vest.

47 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Are any plans/ specs available. I would love one of those in electric.

These are designed as the building progresses. I doubt Irons drew up any kind of plans, just welded up a frame, squared it, braced it, and starting mounting stuff to it. The one parameter he had was it had to fit in the "garage" on his RV. There's a ramp that folds down on one side, he drives it in crosswise, opens the door between the garage & living area, and steps off the machine into the trailer. 

Here’s one that I built.

D6795E39-3081-4759-9081-D7BF1FB6DF58.jpeg

D5583EDE-44B5-4F8F-90BF-D154B9262078.jpeg

132376B5-0137-4393-9A35-67CC7A5804C2.jpeg

EE3DF884-8FDA-47C0-A1D2-A98761A8A17E.jpeg

34C462DA-F6FD-446E-A6DC-6306E26E5897.jpeg

They have a lot of drawbacks.

The biggest issue is they take up a lot of space. A motorized golf cart requires as much realestate as 4 to 6 conventional gun carts. Many ranges lack the room to accomidate more than 1 per stage.

They are not very manuverable and as such require more realestate to go from point A to point B. This is a real pain  on a crowded range. Moving from stage to stage on a crowded range often requires shooters to reposition their conventional carts so that the owner can move from stage to stage.

They can be very hard on the ground when it is wet or muddy due to their greater weight.

The exhaust from gasoline or diesel powered ones that are not well maintained can be quite offensive.

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The exhaust from gasoline or diesel powered ones that are not well maintained can be quite offensive.

kinda like BP:P

16 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Are any plans/ specs available. I would love one of those in electric.

Go to a place that sells gocarts, or look up plans for them, and get some ideas. You can basically use the chassis and build the body from wood.

As far as an engine, a small gas engine can work, but there are kits to convert bicycles to electric. These kits use a wheel with a built in electric motor on the hub. That would eliminate any gas smell problems. Or make one with both (a hybrid). A steam engine is also an option. It just depends on how much work a person is willing to put into it.

I've been thinking of making one for a long time. I've been in shoots where the heat (and humidity) got so bad that a couple of folks had to go to their cars to sit in the AC. One fellow almost passed out. A cart like this would allow for a shady spot to sit, as well as carrying a cooler with some cold drinks, and also food.

I think that these, despite size, can be stationed in ways that are unobtrusive. In addition, they add a really nice look to the scene.

9 hours ago, Bisley Joe said:

Go to a place that sells gocarts, or look up plans for them, and get some ideas. You can basically use the chassis and build the body from wood.

As far as an engine, a small gas engine can work, but there are kits to convert bicycles to electric. These kits use a wheel with a built in electric motor on the hub. That would eliminate any gas smell problems. Or make one with both (a hybrid). A steam engine is also an option. It just depends on how much work a person is willing to put into it.

I've been thinking of making one for a long time. I've been in shoots where the heat (and humidity) got so bad that a couple of folks had to go to their cars to sit in the AC. One fellow almost passed out. A cart like this would allow for a shady spot to sit, as well as carrying a cooler with some cold drinks, and also food.

I think that these, despite size, can be stationed in ways that are unobtrusive. In addition, they add a really nice look to the scene.

If you’ll notice on the one that I built for the mobility scooter there is a soft sided ice chest between  the batteries and the upright cabinet and the chest sits above it.  I carry 4 bottles of water or iced tea on ice in it. I gave this scooter cart to a shooter with a real bad back and am building another one for the scooter in the picture. I carry a folding stool on the side of the cart also.

If I get to building a cart in that old automobile style, I will document it and put up a parts list.

13 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Nice job Goody

Here's Coyote Cap, (R.I.P.) in his electric powered Gun Cart

28168742_10212051811914986_6479954140252514536_n.jpg.0912fcedbd6f98d7a5b4aa386834ca29.jpg

It depends on the range. I shoot at two small ranges that do not permit them. Range rules not sass.  

I have my own personal opinion on them that I will not state.

I've driven cap's on multiple occasions.  Fun toy

On 5/15/2022 at 12:23 AM, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

Here was my gun cart 1901 Oldsmobile curved dash

just bill & 1901 Olds (3).JPG

LOVE IT!

13 hours ago, Grouchy Spike said:

Cap;tain Gimp (aka TJ Yancey) built this in 2014.  An electric golf cart provided the power. 

315325155_TJCarandCannon1.thumb.JPG.f0c1df5973cfa8a5f27507fe209b911f.JPG

Wow! Nice!

On 5/13/2022 at 4:10 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

Tom Selleck

I really enjoyed watching that!

Thanks!

On 5/15/2022 at 3:23 AM, Just Bill SASS# 16394 said:

Here was my gun cart 1901 Oldsmobile curved dash

just bill & 1901 Olds (3).JPG

Come away with me Lucille!
In my Merry Oldsmobile
Down the road of life will glide
Automobubbling you and I!

To the church we'll softly steal
Then our wedding bells will peal
You can go as far as you like with me

In Merry Oldsmobile!

A few years ago at EoT there was a (I assume replica) of a Cadillac that would have been more or less contemporary to this pictured Olds.   I could not help myself, I stood by the Caddy and belted out the above chorus.   Got some applause and laughs.

I always thought one of these Oldsmobiles, perhaps in reduced size, would be a great thing to have at a Cowboy Shoot.

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Come away with me Lucille!
In my Merry Oldsmobile
Down the road of life will glide
Automobubbling you and I!

To the church we'll softly steal
Then our wedding bells will peal
You can go as far as you like with me

In Merry Oldsmobile!

A few years ago at EoT there was a (I assume replica) of a Cadillac that would have been more or less contemporary to this pictured Olds.   I could not help myself, I stood by the Caddy and belted out the above chorus.   Got some applause and laughs.

I always thought one of these Oldsmobiles, perhaps in reduced size, would be a great thing to have at a Cowboy Shoot.

LOL!

We should have a stage where we drive one of these "infernal contraptions" and shoot at targets down the path.

Conversely, someone else could be driving while we shoot away.

Archived