SASS Wire Forum

Liquor laws

:FlagAm:  One of the situations that Annie and I will have to get used to with the planned move to Tennessee.  Here in the Phoenix area, a person can walk into a grocery store and purchase hard liquor, wine and beer.   Just about anything you desire.  Same goes for Costco, but on a smaller scale as well as Walgreens, etc.  Pricing on hard liquor considerably lower than Tennessee with beer and wine lower as well.  Annie is just about to retire from a Kroger affiliate this September.  She is always comparing pricing of goods.  

Chas B 

55 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Sometimes I'm grateful that I live near the Tennessee border.

Alabama's got some strange liquor laws and sometimes we can't find good stuff here in the store.

Nothing that a quick jaunt across the state line can't fix.

What are some of those laws?

We have a state run ABC. We can only get in wine and liquors approved by the ABC. There's some good labels, some small batch, that we can't get in the state.

Cannot have liquor shipped into the state. So, like California residents have all these sites that sell firearm accessories that won't even ship to California, we get the same thing with wine sites and such.

Within the last 10 or so years we've just now been able to start brewing our own beer. 

Several areas still have Sunday blue laws in effect, too.

We still have also several dry counties.

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are some of those laws?

Limited on the size of container we can have, although they just legalized growlers within the last 10-15 years.

We were also just allowed high grav beer within the last five or seven years or so...

Archived