SASS Wire Forum

Age restrictions at Walmart

Taking advantage of some warm weather, I visited the local Walmart for a few items:

Soldering rod

White spray paint

Brake cleaner

Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray

I'm at the self checkout scanning my goods. Scan-beep-in the bag.

Scan the Turtle Wax and no beep.

Screen says, "Verify the buyer is 18 or older."

A Walmart monitor came by, scanned her "I'm a supervisor and this is ok" card, and I got my stuff.

I asked about the age to buy car wax. She said she had no idea.

So, what government list am I on because I wanted to wax the RV?

9 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Taking advantage of some warm weather, I visited the local Walmart for a few items:

Soldering rod

White spray paint

Brake cleaner

Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray

I'm at the self checkout scanning my goods. Scan-beep-in the bag.

Scan the Turtle Wax and no beep.

Screen says, "Verify the buyer is 18 or older."

A Walmart monitor came by, scanned her "I'm a supervisor and this is ok" card, and I got my stuff.

I asked about the age to buy car wax. She said she had no idea.

So, what government list am I on because I wanted to wax the RV?

It wasn’t you. It was the item. Try buying model airplane glue! 

Spray paint is used to put lovely, interesting, and beneficial graffiti on walls.  It's a California thing.

The lady at Walmart wanted verification that I was 21 to buy something.  I just looked at her and asked "Are you serious?"  She informed me that it was company policy to check birthdates on drivers' licenses for certain items.  I told her to remove that item from the pile and bought the same thing at Safeway fifteen minutes later.

Hell, I'm 80years old.  I haven't looked 21 or younger for ages.

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Spray paint is used to put lovely, interesting, and beneficial graffiti on walls.  It's a California thing.

The lady at Walmart wanted verification that I was 21 to buy something.  I just looked at her and asked "Are you serious?"  She informed me that it was company policy to check birthdates on drivers' licenses for certain items.  I told her to remove that item from the pile and bought the same thing at Safeway fifteen minutes later.

Spray paint, glues, Cool Whip or Cheeze in a can....all need the AGE approval. They are all used in HUFFING...just one more way to get high.

In the early '80s , I kept finding full cans of coolwhip that were 'flat'...finally caught the culprit.

Sad.

15 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I get the paint and the glue, I guess...

But Cool Whip? Are we trying to watch out for diabetes and keeping me from eating a frozen tub of the stuff?

That's crazy!

Cool Whip in the spray can contains Nitrous Oxide. Laughing gas. People keep the can upright and activate the nozzle and breath it in to get high. 
Street name “Whippets”, for Cool Whip. 

“Can”…Damnit Otto!

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cool Whip in the spray can contains Nitrous Oxide. Laughing gas. People keep the cab upright and activate the nozzle and breath it in to get high. 
Street name “Whippets”, for Cool Whip. 

Learned something new today. Thanks @Singin' Sue 71615 and @Pat Riot, SASS #13748!

Addicts can be very resourceful. When we were young it was peanuts in a Coke, or banana peels. Times changed.

The stuff I saw while on a drug task force would freak you out.

Let’s see…things I needed to show ID for to prove I am over 21 besides booze and guns

Spray Paint

Ammo
Pocket knife

Addictive pain meds during my annual “crashed again” events

Dies that mean the ATF may have to change its name to ATFSPAPA, or an endearing term like ATF’S Papa?:D

Yes, I don't work at Walmart either. But the other lines were 4 to 5 people deep with full carts and full strollers.

Self checkout was empty. Do the math.

The funny part was the other stuff (spray paint, etc) didn't trigger the warning. The car wax did.

At a grocery store today (that also does not employ me) I was at the self checkout and asked the lady monitoring the machines why the car wax would trigger a warning.

She said it happens all the time. Bar code numbers for items can be entered erroneously, with a digit or two off. If the incorrect number is that of a restricted item, it will pop up when scanned. She said there was a messed up number before Mother's Day, and floral arrangements were inadvertently flagged as tobacco items, with the warning screen popping up. A quick phone call to the data entry folks cleared it up.

6 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Yes, I don't work at Walmart either. But the other lines were 4 to 5 people deep with full carts and full strollers.

Self checkout was empty. Do the math.

The funny part was the other stuff (spray paint, etc) didn't trigger the warning. The car wax did.

At a grocery store today (that also does not employ me) I was at the self checkout and asked the lady monitoring the machines why the car wax would trigger a warning.

She said it happens all the time. Bar code numbers for items can be entered erroneously, with a digit or two off. If the incorrect number is that of a restricted item, it will pop up when scanned. She said there was a messed up number before Mother's Day, and floral arrangements were inadvertently flagged as tobacco items, with the warning screen popping up. A quick phone call to the data entry folks cleared it up.

And we are supposed to trust computers to do so much....like driving cars.

Went too Ace Hardware and couldn't find copper wool. Asked the Helpful Hardware man..  Oh we keep it under the cash register. Why?  Because dope heads steel it and tire pressure gauges to make crack pipes.

15 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Learned something new today. Thanks @Singin' Sue 71615 and @Pat Riot, SASS #13748!

Me too!!

On a lighter note if I'm at the self checkout at the grocery store the light comes on if I'm buying wine or beer. The lady comes over and swipes her card. I always ask " Don't you want to see my ID"? They always laugh and say no that'[s okay. I always say " Well you could at least make me feel like I'm young" It always gets chuckle from them!!:lol:

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Addicts can be very resourceful. When we were young it was peanuts in a Coke, or banana peels. Times changed.

The stuff I saw while on a drug task force would freak you out.

Yep.  Once you've seen a meth addict hoarding urine to distill the meth out of it, you lose quite a bit of hope for humans.

An acquaintance was a volunteer fire fighter. Said they had to be double careful because many of their calls were meth labs. Neighbor up the road burned his house down then a couple of old trailers before finally going to the big house.

I refuse to use self check ou just as I refuse to use a kiosk. I ask workers at stores that steer me to "self check out" if they enjoy the concept of unemployment in the future when all checkouts are "self check out".

On 5/11/2022 at 12:11 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

yes , they quit carding me shortly after i got my fake ID , so that was a waste of money - now im old enough no bar would ever card me but walmart needs proof of age ? waste of time , and today time is far more important to me than cash was back then , makes you want to shop elsewhere 

Howdy,

A club out Colorado way insisted on ID for everyone.

Little old ladies got a big kick out of being stopped and having to prove they were 21.

They also card everyone at Halloween.

Best

CR

I was checking IDs at a bar. This is back in the late seventies, when the drinking age was 18. And I stopped this couple and said I needed to see ID, and he pulled out his wallet, and I told him I wasn't worried about him but I needed to see hers. And she was all giggly, until she realized I was serious. He was all, "this is my wife", while she was going on about, "I left my ID in the room", and I was telling them they needed to go back and get it. And all the time I'm talking to them I'm looking her up and down. And I finally decided from the floppiness of her upper arms that she was in her 40s or older. But her face looked like she was about 16. So I let 'em in, based not on government issued ID, but on upper arm wiggling. :rolleyes:

Archived