SASS Wire Forum

Starline Brass -- Shipping .45 Colt

Cholla

This is just a heads up. Two weeks ago I ordered 500 .45 Colt brass cases from Starline for $132.00 with free shipping. The website said they had none in stock and the cases were backordered. I received an email stating the same thing not long after. I checked my order a few days ago and got the same message.

Tonight I had 500 new .45 Colt cases waiting on my porch! That's roughly $26 per 100 cases. Most of the retailer websites are running in the 40s per hundred, if they have them.

The point is, if you need brass don't pay scalper's prices. Order it and go do something to take your mind off the anticipation. They will come eventually.

I’ll just pipe in here with still waiting on my backorder of .44 Russian from Starline placed in March 2021. Some calibers clearly aren’t produced as often and Starline won’t even give me a guess as to when they will be. 

Remember when you could buy or bid on buckets of brass at a big lost brass match? I still have 6 gallons of .45 Colt and 9 gallons of .38 Special many years after purchasing. I toss when they split. I did order new Schofield brass some years back. My cylinders must be a bit oversize as I do get a few splits per match. They certainly aren't hot loads. Sometimes you can get brass from a shooter at a match at a decent price, too.

11 hours ago, OK Dirty Dan said:

I’ll just pipe in here with still waiting on my backorder of .44 Russian from Starline placed in March 2021. Some calibers clearly aren’t produced as often and Starline won’t even give me a guess as to when they will be. 

A little over 3 years ago I found myself in Sedalia, MO... And could NOT resist visiting both Sierra bullets and Starline... and since they're right next door to each other, it's REALLY convenient!  Anyway, I was looking for some .32-40 brass... and since I was there I picked up some .30-30 & 45 Colt brass.  They didn't have any .32-40, and weren't taking back orders for it.  As explained to me, (or how I understood their answer), they run brass based on demand.  After receiving enough requests, they will put "back order allowed" on the website, and when they have near their target quantity on order, they run that brass, filling back-orders and providing some for stock.  It was rather impressive seeing their in-house "store" with barrels and barrels of brass just sitting there!  And as you can imagine, the majority of the on-hand stock is not for "cowboy" cartridges.   Like Cholla, last year I backordered 45 Colt brass and actually received it within a week.  Sometimes you're at the front of the line and wait longer, or your's is the order that puts them over the top!

On May 5th I placed an order with Starline for 1,000 45 Colt cases, it was on backorder.  I received them yesterday, May 10.  If it shows backorder available, put your order in, I've never waited more than a week for "backordered" brass from Starline.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

A little over 3 years ago I found myself in Sedalia, MO... And could NOT resist visiting both Sierra bullets and Starline... and since they're right next door to each other, it's REALLY convenient!  Anyway, I was looking for some .32-40 brass... and since I was there I picked up some .30-30 & 45 Colt brass.  They didn't have any .32-40, and weren't taking back orders for it.  As explained to me, (or how I understood their answer), they run brass based on demand.  After receiving enough requests, they will put "back order allowed" on the website, and when they have near their target quantity on order, they run that brass, filling back-orders and providing some for stock.  It was rather impressive seeing their in-house "store" with barrels and barrels of brass just sitting there!  And as you can imagine, the majority of the on-hand stock is not for "cowboy" cartridges.   Like Cholla, last year I backordered 45 Colt brass and actually received it within a week.  Sometimes you're at the front of the line and wait longer, or your's is the order that puts them over the top!

I have been assuming this is how their production system worked, but when I asked Starline via email they wouldn't confirm. I even asked if there was a certain amount I could order to get the production run to happen and their response was that they can't tell me when .44 Russian (or any particular case) will be put into production.

14 hours ago, Cholla said:

This is just a heads up. Two weeks ago I ordered 500 .45 Colt brass cases from Starline for $132.00 with free shipping. The website said they had none in stock and the cases were backordered. I received an email stating the same thing not long after. I checked my order a few days ago and got the same message.

Tonight I had 500 new .45 Colt cases waiting on my porch! That's roughly $26 per 100 cases. Most of the retailer websites are running in the 40s per hundred, if they have them.

The point is, if you need brass don't pay scalper's prices. Order it and go do something to take your mind off the anticipation. They will come eventually.

That price seems reasonable. When I bought my Starlines 45's a couple 3 years ago, they were $23/100

9 hours ago, Go West said:

Remember when you could buy or bid on buckets of brass at a big lost brass match? I still have 6 gallons of .45 Colt and 9 gallons of .38 Special many years after purchasing. I toss when they split. I did order new Schofield brass some years back. My cylinders must be a bit oversize as I do get a few splits per match. They certainly aren't hot loads. Sometimes you can get brass from a shooter at a match at a decent price, too.

I have a bunch of used brass, but for Bordertown I want something that isn't going to split and jam. New brass is safer.

Yeah, I did have a split case in a rifle at Railhead years ago when they had it by the lake. It was nickel and it cost me 8 rounds. I've since tossed every nickel piece and haven't had an issue since. If I was still competitive, I would be more inclined to use new brass, but my times are climbing along with my age. Maybe it is a coincidence, but the odds of a split case for me appears to be very, very low. YMMV

BTW, I like your articles.

12 hours ago, Go West said:

Yeah, I did have a split case in a rifle at Railhead years ago when they had it by the lake. It was nickel and it cost me 8 rounds. I've since tossed every nickel piece and haven't had an issue since. If I was still competitive, I would be more inclined to use new brass, but my times are climbing along with my age. Maybe it is a coincidence, but the odds of a split case for me appears to be very, very low. YMMV

BTW, I like your articles.

Thanks! There are more in the printing room and I am also writing for a sister publication as of yesterday!

Archived