SASS Wire Forum

Screwy Idea

Subdeacon Joe

My dad worked on a screw machine at the place he worked at. (Parker Hannifin)He bid on different jobs but he liked the screw machine for whatever reason!

Back about the turn of the Century, no not the recent one, the one before the internet, governments around the world took notice and started to get worried about, well, so much screwing and it was all incompatible. Thus was formed the International Committee to Standardize the Screw.  They had meetings, they published papers, wrote everything down, and after several years, never really did anything. After a time Congress decided to no longer fund anyone to attend their meetings. Well, I think it was the Navy that decided it was still something that was needed and funded a representative to attend the meetings.

Christpher Spencer...yeah that one...apparently invented or developed the automatic screw machine many years after the rifle.  He lived long enough that his son even took the father flying, and maybe even taught him to fly an airplane! 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My dad worked on a screw machine at the place he worked at. (Parker Hannifin)

My place of employment does a lot of business with their Rohnert Park facility making parts for some of their linear motors.

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

But is it a turn for the better or a turn for the worse?

image.png.9c7880906e009cf47e62b42af702803e.png542593096_Snickeringemoji.png.3083de6001fafc8d82a3a10aacfdfefe.png

image.png.10ce2dcb2d8eb284574b81dcdd6a295c.png

C’mon guys! Quit screwing around! This is serious stuff. Don’t be twisting this thread into something completely different. :P

C’mon Pat!! This thread has taken an interesting turn!!

:rolleyes: :lol:

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... in this screwed-up world, ..... I think I'm a left-hand thread ....   :(

No Wallaby, but you might be a seven sided cross-threaded nut.

23 minutes ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

No Wallaby, but you might be a seven sided cross-threaded nut.

Well, this is Wallaby Jack.

Even a seven sided cross-threaded nut can be loosened with a pair of Vice Grips and a Monkey Wrench.

A Hot Wrench would make it quicker, but I can't find a recipe for the liquor.

52 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Now we just need America to go metric and drop UNC, UNF, UNEF, UNS and whatnot and GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!!!! :D

You ain't had fun until you have to 3-Wire a M385 X 0.5 thread while the part is still in the lathe.   Threaded length was only about 12mm.   Used .018" wires and 40 inch calipers.  Fun times.

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You ain't had fun until you have to 3-Wire a M385 X 0.5 thread while the part is still in the lathe.   Threaded length was only about 12mm.   Used .018" wires and 40 inch calipers.  Fun times.

What was that for?

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Now we just need America to go metric and drop UNC, UNF, UNEF, UNS and whatnot and GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!!!! :D

Yeah!

How else do you expect to go to the Moon- oh, wait.:blush:

How else do you expect to break the speed of sound in level fli- no, that's a bad example, too.:o

Well, the French invented it, so.....

Never mind, forget it!:P

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

....... A Hot Wrench would make it quicker, but I can't find a recipe for the liquor.

A Hot Wench, ....... now you're talking my langua ........  oh, you said wRrench .........   :o

Archived