SASS Wire Forum

Getting into the mind game?

Cholla

I realize that part of this is getting into the mindset of winning. I always see Hell's Comin going through the motions of shooting the stage as he gets into the groove, and I admit he is a heck of a shooter and should be emulated.

What do you do emotionally and mentally to get into the groove?

5 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Gads, I could probably write a book on this.  Thankfully, I don't have to.  Someone else did.  https://brianenos.com/shop/shoppractical-shooting-beyond-fundamentals/

Ordered.

4 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Ordered.

It's one of those books that you take something new from each time you read it.  Another book I really liked is https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-Penicks-Little-Red-Book-ebook/dp/B005S748US/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2V1J1LH9XIJV8&keywords=the+little+red+book&qid=1652241514&sprefix=the+little+red+book%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-1 

There are a ton of books on the topic.  We're all different and learn differently.  As a result, you'll probably end up with a handful of them to find out what really works best for you.

Actually..... nothing.   I never let small stuff become a worrisome thing.    I go to a match calm and shoot calm.  Never nervous or have

anxieties.   To me, its all a fun time shooting with friends and hoping everyone does their best and have a good time.

I know that sounds strange and far out of the norm, but that's how it is in my world.

..........Widder

One of the most interesting and frustrating matches I ever shot was in long ago IPSC days.  The whole bay was blocked from view with plastic sheeting.  You went through the door and responded, RO right behind you.  An attempt at a shoot house and a test of skill. Those emerging were funneled several bays away.  

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

One of the most interesting and frustrating matches I ever shot was in long ago IPSC days.  The whole bay was blocked from view with plastic sheeting.  You went through the door and responded, RO right behind you.  An attempt at a shoot house and a test of skill. Those emerging were funneled several bays away.  

ah....the secret stage...

One of my pet peeves is someone chattering to me at the loading table and if need be, tell them not to talk to me. I'm counting rounds being loaded, trying to get the stage in my mind and don't want to hear about misses, P's and other train wrecks. 

For me, when the guns are loaded on the LT and the shooter in front of me walks up, I reread the stage description and kind of ghost the order at the LT after trying to quiet my mind and focus on the string. Watch the shooter in front of me even though I've been likely spotting and seeing everyone else do the stage. Run the order in my mind again when they are resetting. Go up, take a deep breath, say the starting line, buzzer goes off and I sometimes feel like all that calmness and rotations go right out the door! Sometimes the planning works, sometimes I am into the stage and loose my count, and to be honest, when that happens, all bets are off.

Then of course there are the times where in my mind I nail all of the shots and I get up there and its like I might as well be shooting outlaw because of how many misses I can rack up in 1 stage lol.

4 hours ago, Go West said:

One of my pet peeves is someone chattering to me at the loading table and if need be, tell them not to talk to me. I'm counting rounds being loaded, trying to get the stage in my mind and don't want to hear about misses, P's and other train wrecks. 

Never speak to the next shooter.

4 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

At the top level of sports, the difference between first and second, usually comes down to the mind game.

My mind plays games with me all of the time!

15 minutes ago, Cholla said:

My mind plays games with me all of the time!

Like when it comes to..... Powder, patch, ball. They didn't make that screw thingy for nuttin!

On 5/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, Go West said:

That’s simple etiquette. I’m a chatterer (I know y’all ain’t surprised)… if someone asked me a question, I’d answer it. THEN, folks on a different flight or posse would see me and ask me to save some bullets or powder back for them… that’s an occupational hazard for me - and I politely say, go see Tommy… when the shooter before me gets called up, I CLOSE my eyes and my mind to EVERYTHING but the stage and hum so I don’t hear chatter and run through the stage in my mind. MOST of the time the outcome is something I can be reasonably proud of… others? Well, it was FUN! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 5/10/2022 at 11:08 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

There is also something to be said for goal setting, well before you ever get to the range.

THIS book is THE book to read for mental management.  It will help you with so much more than shooting. I own and have read Brian Enos's book several times,  but Lanny Basham's was so much better for developing the mental game. Cholla, if you haven't gotten this one get it now,  it's exactly what you're looking for.  

JEL

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

THIS book is THE book to read for mental management.  It will help you with so much more than shooting. I own and have read Brian Enos's book several times,  but Lanny Basham's was so much better for developing the mental game. Cholla, if you haven't gotten this one get it now,  it's exactly what you're looking for.  

JEL

For me, I didn't get much out of Lanny's book.  I got a lot more out of others.  That's why I suggested a variety of books.  Everyone learns differently.

PT shoots best when he's just hung over enough not to overthink it.  Same for shooting order - he does better when he gets in line early on.  He doesn't believe it, but...

Archived