SASS Wire Forum

Legalizing old Xdraw holster

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I bought my first CAS leather at a gunshow in '99, a cheap Mexican buscadero rig with a cross-draw.  That xdraw has been illegal ever since the 30-degree rule came into being.   I did an easy mod to it to change the angle.  Punched a couple holes and tied them together with a piece of leather.  A Chicago screw would be a bit neater, but I didn't have a spare.  It has a decent size mouth and is roomy enough to hold my Type II conversions which don't fit some of my other holsters.  Not the prettiest in the world but I've been using it lately and it works well. 

xdraw1.jpg

xdraw2.jpg

Looks good to me. Very much in the spirit of what would have been used "way back then".

actually , short of sewing it shut , i agree that would be a typical fix in the era for an ill fitting item , its interesting that it was produced for our game except that i have no recollection of the regs back then or exactly when the 30 came to be norm , i thought that rule was in force before that time but its a long time ago , glad you were able to save your great leather rig  i rather like the look of it , 

The 30º rule came about sometime in the late '90s... seems too many folks were dropping guns and the prevalent 45º holsters got named as the culprit.  As I recall... Always thought it was a silly comment on the "nanny-state" mentality that many folks have... instead of blaming the users of ill-fitting holsters, just change the angle so a fallin' out takes more effort.  My wife used the same Bill French built 45º X-draw for the ten years she competed and never once dropped her pistol...   when she went from a Ruger Blackhawk to a Colt SAA, he made her a new, proper fitting one.

Edited to add:  The game has evolved in the intervening years... it's not nearly as physically demanding as it once was.  We don't throw ourselves from standing to prone, or jump from prone to kneeling or standing as we once did.  Now that I'm almost 40 years older than when I started, I have a new-found respect for those in their 60-70s back then to even attempt what we thought was fun!  

Archived