SASS Wire Forum

MagnaPorting a J-frame?

I wonder if anyone in this collective body of wisdom has ever had a J-frame modified by MagnaPort.  I’m pondering the procedure, and have had it done to a Super Blackhawk, but was seeking input on the smaller frame.

https://magnaport.com/hgun.html

As always, the Saloon’s wisdom is much appreciated.

I met a guy at an indoor range that had a 3” J frame Magna-Ported. I did not shoot his revolver but I did see him fire it with his “defensive reloads”. I don’t recall his load recipe. The gun appeared to have more flash than a normal barrel but in his words “This is a carry gun, not a night time intruder gun.”

I did notice the muzzle rise was very minimal compared to his other J frame with a 2” barrel. That one was not ported. 
Both guns were .38s. I do not recall if his defensive load was standard or +P velocity. 

We used to sell it as a service when I worked for Gander Mountain years ago . They always did a good job , and it works but not a huge difference. The only problem I could think of for doing it would be if you had it in close proximity to your body when firing . Allot of people will carry small revolvers in the front pockets of a hoodie with plans to fire the gun from the pocket if needed 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Thinking more about it , it really may be no worse than the bc gap . I guess you could experiment with some paper or cloth with your current revolver 

That's what I think. Still the same flash, just redirected.

I can see no advantage to it at all. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Who has actual experience with this? Just curious.

Me , like I said it isn’t allot, the more gas you can re direct the more effective it’s going to be . A comp will preform better. It is noticeable to shoot a magnaported gun next to the identical gun , but it’s just a reduction in muzzle flip . It’s not going to knock some crazy amount of time off of your splits . Would that amount of time make a difference some day ? Who knows.

It’s the same as any other enhancement. But nothing is going to make a J fame with hot 38’s or 357’s a fun gun to shoot , unless you’re one of those people who enjoys banging away with your 454 casull all day . 

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Me , like I said it isn’t allot, the more gas you can re direct the more effective it’s going to be . A comp will preform better. It is noticeable to shoot a magnaported gun next to the identical gun , but it’s just a reduction in muzzle flip . It’s not going to knock some crazy amount of time off of your splits . Would that amount of time make a difference some day ? Who knows.

It’s the same as any other enhancement. But nothing is going to make a J fame with hot 38’s or 357’s a fun gun to shoot , unless you’re one of those people who enjoys banging away with your 454 casull all day . 

That is what I noticed with the guy I spoke of earlier. Muzzle rise was reduced. He did say he noticed the noise was louder and felt recoil didn’t really change just the muzzle rise improved. 
Personally, I won’t shoot +P or .357 from a j frame. I had a S&W model 60 Pro. .357 and +P .38 had too much muzzle jump for my liking. The same goes for +P .38 from my models 442 and 36. 
I shoot for accuracy and quick follow up shots. Standard .38 loads are just fine with me. I probably wouldn’t want ported barrels. 

when I was packing tin a buddy had his dick special done and kept raving about it.

I called mag na port and inquired about having a little gun done. the nice lady laughed and said they did

more snubbies than anything else. So I sent my dick special and J frame  and had them both done.

As stated recoil the same but less muzzle flip. One thing about the flash it happens above the sight

line, if you see a stop action pic you'll see what I mean.

One other thing to note lead bullets will shave and plug ports pretty quick!!

Also no metal refinishing as metal is edm removed, really makes clean cuts!

edited in ....most of the pics you see of massive flame are "produced" to show how effective the ports

are and not actual firing of standard loads. remember handgun loads use flash retardant powders , so pics are exaggerations.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is what I noticed with the guy I spoke of earlier. Muzzle rise was reduced. He did say he noticed the noise was louder and felt recoil didn’t really change just the muzzle rise improved. 
Personally, I won’t shoot +P or .357 from a j frame. I had a S&W model 60 Pro. .357 and +P .38 had too much muzzle jump for my liking. The same goes for +P .38 from my models 442 and 36. 
I shoot for accuracy and quick follow up shots. Standard .38 loads are just fine with me. I probably wouldn’t want ported barrels. 

I honestly don’t think there’s a more unpleasant gun to shoot than a J frame made of scadinum with +P 357’s . Magnaport really isn’t a bad deal . I don’t know how they came up with their recoil reduction claims and I believe it could be measurable but all I ever noticed was less muzzle flip .

I think the higher pressure you run the more you will get out of it . Back when I used to shoot clays allot all of my shotgun were ported , it’s a minor reduction but every bit helps when you shoot 250 to 500 rounds of 12ga in a day . I shot a guys 300 Weatherby and did think it would help if you needed a quick follow up shot . And as stated by Dutch it’s a very good looking clean job the do burning in the ports with a EDM . And like I was saying before it’s a pretty cheap modification compared to filling up your truck right now. To me it’s cheap enough if your truly curious you’re not going to be out allot if you get it done and shoot it and just think Eh’a . People seem to perceive recoil differently, for some it’s noise , or how sharp the recoil is , some don’t mind heavy slow rounds because it gives you chance to roll with it , some want to basically immobilize the gun as much as possible. Like everything else you’re mileage may vary 

I do appreciate everyone's insight.  Hopefully within a month I'll be able to report back on results as the gun is heading to MagnaPort next week.  As someone noted earlier, at $100 it's not a lot lost if the results aren't what was hoped for.

Y'all have a good day.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I do appreciate everyone's insight.  Hopefully within a month I'll be able to report back on results as the gun is heading to MagnaPort next week.  As someone noted earlier, at $100 it's not a lot lost if the results aren't what was hoped for.

Y'all have a good day.

Please do let us know what you think. Since your initial post I am also considering this. The muzzle rise part of recoil of my J frames is painful to my wrist.

I can handle  the rearward recoil just fine. It's that upwards snap that causes me issues.

Thank you

Archived