SASS Wire Forum

Catholic Church question

Alpo

12 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

It's like a marriage. If all you have the ability to do at the moment is give your spouse a TV dinner, and a daisy picked from the yard, on your anniversary, then that's as good as anything. But you strive for more when you can. Giving your spouse the same thing when you have the ability to do more later would be insulting.

"The Widow's Mite" theory.  We use it a lot. My wife has lots of physical problems and she beats herself up "because (she) doesn't do enough" around the house.   I keep telling her, "Remember 'Widow's mite'"   She does what she can when she can, and that's all she can do.  Likewise us getting to church.  I'm a bit beat up myself and sometimes I need the whole weekend as downtime so I can get through the next work week. We've talked with our priest, he's fine with it.  Do as much as we can when we can.  A far cry from what we did 20 years ago.

40 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"The Widow's Mite" theory.  We use it a lot. My wife has lots of physical problems and she beats herself up "because (she) doesn't do enough" around the house.   I keep telling her, "Remember 'Widow's mite'"   She does what she can when she can, and that's all she can do.  Likewise us getting to church.  I'm a bit beat up myself and sometimes I need the whole weekend as downtime so I can get through the next work week. We've talked with our priest, he's fine with it.  Do as much as we can when we can.  A far cry from what we did 20 years ago.

Nailed it!

I should mention that Lisa finally found some head scarves that will stay on her head.  She tried for years to find something besides your standard Mk. 1 Bandana that didn't slide off her head.  Gave up on it.  Earlier this year she tried something that she had picked up to cover the center console in the car so Little Miss would have some traction on it.  It worked like a charm.

IMG_20220417_091102236_HDR~4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I should mention that Lisa finally found some head scarves that will stay on her head.  She tried for years to find something besides your standard Mk. 1 Bandana that didn't slide off her head.  Gave up on it.  Earlier this year she tried something that she had picked up to cover the center console in the car so Little Miss would have some traction on it.  It worked like a charm.

IMG_20220417_091102236_HDR~4.jpg

LOVE the icons etc. in the background!!!

I've read this thread with some interest. Thanks to my background, I've been in churches of numerous denominations for weddings, funerals and other services, along with synagogue for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, and a mosque for the Islamic equivalent. Of course, I've also been to our nearby Buddhist center. Other than weddings and funerals (Where a suit is a given), the first question I've ever asked upon receiving an invitation has unfailingly been "What should I wear?" Or, perhaps, "Is there a dress code?" Why? A matter of respect-- respect in a number of ways. Respect for the religion. Even if the religion is not my personal belief, I am voluntarily setting foot into a house established on behalf of that religion. Respect for the congregation of that religion, again, even though I do not share their beliefs, I share their humanity, and often times, I find commonality with them. Every religion I am aware of has some version of the Golden Rule. Respect for the person that invited me. This is so simple as to not need explanation. If I respect the person who invited me, I will dress in a manner that is respectful to the person's religion. If I don't, why am I even attending? Finally, respect for myself. If I don't respect myself enough to show the above respect, then I need to look inward, not outward to understand why.

1 hour ago, Bisley Joe said:

LOVE the icons etc. in the background!!!

Thank you.  I hadn't noticed when I took the photograph that the icon over her shoulder is St. Anna, mother of the Theotokos, and my wife's patron... when we were received into the Church Lisa chose he middle name, Ann, as her Chalice name.  I commissioned the icon from Ann Margitich, so we have Ann for Ann by Ann. 

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thank you.  I hadn't noticed when I took the photograph that the icon over her shoulder is St. Anna, mother of the Theotokos, and my wife's patron... when we were received into the Church Lisa chose he middle name, Ann, as her Chalice name.  I commissioned the icon from Ann Margitich, so we have Ann for Ann by Ann. 

That is beautiful!

There is much thoughtful comment here.

There is genuine wisdom here.

My wife delights in the Widow's Mite reference.

She looked at me and said to tell the good Subdeacon that her hand is a-wavin' in the air on that one!

Archived