SASS Wire Forum

My Dad, our Dad's

Buckshot Bear

Posted this photo of my Dads WWII medals up a little while ago in another thread and it brought tears to my eyes. 

I was a late boomer baby, the fourth of four sons by 11 years with a 16 year split between myself and my eldest brother. 

My parents had a marriage made in heaven, I can't remember anything but love between them and never a cross word. 

Everyday I try to be half the man, father, grandfather my Dad was, he was and always will be my hero.

20220510_141030_resized.thumb.jpg.8acb318181ec49f303a8401513be146b.jpg

i am sure that leaving a good family of children behind meant more to him than those medals but I bet he was some stud. that’s the kind of daddy we all wish to be. Irish ☘️ Pat

Thanks guys.

Mum & Dad didn't like tattoos and I never got one because of that (not that I ever wanted one) Dad did have a hand inked (by another Commando in New Guinea) outline of Australia on his right shoulder with the letters A.I.F (Australian Imperial Forces) in the middle of the map of Australia outline to aid in identification if KIA.

i made such a memorial to mine 22 years ago , it was recently passed to his grandson , hoping it stands testimony for a couple more generations , and i too try to live up to his expectations every day 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

i made such a memorial to mine 22 years ago , it was recently passed to his grandson , hoping it stands testimony for a couple more generations , and i too try to live up to his expectations every day 

Very nice to read WK.

9925F918-75B8-4550-8197-4B8F2BA57513.thumb.jpeg.a145300dfbf9b796a8ebb6ccd7c9b18e.jpeg

This is my Dad, Earl and our Collie, Bruce. Dad was 30 when I was born and Bruce was just 1. I learned a great deal from both of them and received a lot of love. I learned patience and a strong work ethic from Dad. I learned how to care for someone you love from Bruce. Mom always said Bruce thought I was his Pup.

CJ

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

9925F918-75B8-4550-8197-4B8F2BA57513.thumb.jpeg.a145300dfbf9b796a8ebb6ccd7c9b18e.jpeg

This is my Dad, Earl and our Collie, Bruce. Dad was 30 when I was born and Bruce was just 1. I learned a great deal from both of them and received a lot of love. I learned patience and a strong work ethic from Dad. I learned how to care for someone you love from Bruce. Mom always said Bruce thought I was his Pup.

CJ

interesting that my father was also 30 when i came around , they bought a shepard puppy at that time - he was my dog ...or maybe i should say i was his child till he died , ive never had such an attachment since , i agree on the learning ---this has been a fun thread to read and relive forgotten moments [most of which ive refrained from writing here] thanks 

12 minutes ago, watab kid said:

interesting that my father was also 30 when i came around , they bought a shepard puppy at that time - he was my dog ...or maybe i should say i was his child till he died , ive never had such an attachment since , i agree on the learning ---this has been a fun thread to read and relive forgotten moments [most of which ive refrained from writing here] thanks 

Thanks watab kid, its nice to look back isn't it sometimes.

yes indeed , and i will add that ive not done so recently , we are dealing with my wifes parent end of life experience and those current events have repressed the nostalgia , nice to take a moment and enjoy the mental wanderings 

Archived