SASS Wire Forum

The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan

Buckshot Bear

Lots of good WWII sub books. One of the greats is Clear the Bridge, by Richard O'Kane of the Tang.

One of my senior law partners, Capt. Claude M. Pearson (USNR) had four war patrols in the USS Pogy. He was very proud of those dolphins! He died at 94 six years ago.

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Lots of good WWII sub books. One of the greats is Clear the Bridge, by Richard O'Kane of the Tang.

One of my senior law partners, Capt. Claude M. Pearson (USNR) had four war patrols in the USS Pogy. He was very proud of those dolphins! He died at 94 six years ago.

I've read another book about the USS Wahoo, I will try and get a copy of Clear the Bridge

59e415711b61c359c458181a75917012.jpg.8173b406fac1b5e979961a5dad60e73b.jpg

Claude Pearson, who founded the firm where I was a partner for several decades, had three very interesting stories about his sub service

The toughest was a patrol in the Sea of Japan that encountered a minefield. He described many hours of slow movement, feeling mine cables scraping the sides of the boat. He said that he'd never been so scared in his life, and that he was never really afraid of anything after that.

The second was the mid-ocean rescue of a B-29 crew that ditched. He attended reunions of that flight crew for many years.

The third: they came upon a Japanese fishing boat near the end of the war. Such boats could carry radio gear to report sightings. Sinking it was an accepted option. But the small boat had a ragged worked-out crew of fishermen. The Pogy's captain looked it over, and the sub crew awaited the possible order to machine gun the fishermen. The sub captain turned away and gave the order to submerge. His crew was very glad of it.

10 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan

Started reading this a few days ago, have found it hard to put down.

Capture.JPG.5f7dc9834d2df8002a73d99b057dcbe1.JPG

You are a bad person, I needed two more books* from Amazon like I needed a root canal!  :P

*The one above on the Kindle and another in paperback about the PBY Black Cats that came up under the "You might like" 

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

"Blind Man's Bluff" is a good read. It covers the covert submarine operations during the Cold War.

It's been a bunch of years since I've read the book - an excellent read!  And as I recall, it even contains mention of the Horse & Cow.  ^_^

21 hours ago, Chantry said:

You are a bad person, I needed two more books* from Amazon like I needed a root canal!  :P

*The one above on the Kindle and another in paperback about the PBY Black Cats that came up under the "You might like" 

You'll enjoy the book I'm sure.

U-505 by Dan Gallery is a very good read about the capture of a German Uboat during WW2.

Archived