SASS Wire Forum

New Series Billy the Kid

Buckshot Bear

Not impressed

I am sure that if you’re looking for historical accuracy you probably may not get it with this show. :D

It’s a show. Not a documentary. ;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Not paying for any more channels! 

I'm with you on that note. 

Ever since our cable company dropped the bomb shell about increasing our rates along with adding costs for cable boxes for each TV, we dropped them abs are watching FREE shows on TUBI.com. Currently laptop hooked to TV for better viewing. 

There are lots of Westerns available and Ann and I can attest that there are some really bad ones out there. 

Viewers choice. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I have watched five episodes. I like it. 

Only two episodes so far, but what I've seen I like.

Good acting, costuming, scenes, great work on 'firearms casting", and a good storyline.

Looking forward to more.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:14 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am sure that if you’re looking for historical accuracy you probably may not get it with this show. :D

It’s a show. Not a documentary. ;)

There is not a whole lot known about Billy the Kid - so if you had to stick to "known facts" you would really limit the show.   

I'm watching it, the costuming is good (Billy is 99% of the time basically wearing the outfit from his one confirmed picture).  They do alright with the firearms (although no black powder smoke).

This goes a different direction then "Young Guns" (for example) where they make Billy out to be a lunatic or psychopath.   In this show, Billy is a good guy who gets forced into bad choices - most of the crimes he commits are "not his fault".   He is either put into no-win situations, duped (because he's a trusting good-guy), or screwed by politicians or business interests.   

Naturally, as we have very sketchy info on Billy it's possible that either take could have been the truth.

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

There is not a whole lot known about Billy the Kid - so if you had to stick to "known facts" you would really limit the show.   

I'm watching it, the costuming is good (Billy is 99% of the time basically wearing the outfit from his one confirmed picture).  They do alright with the firearms (although no black powder smoke).

This goes a different direction then "Young Guns" (for example) where they make Billy out to be a lunatic or psychopath.   In this show, Billy is a good guy who gets forced into bad choices - most of the crimes he commits are "not his fault".   He is either put into no-win situations, duped (because he's a trusting good-guy), or screwed by politicians or business interests.   

Naturally, as we have very sketchy info on Billy it's possible that either take could have been the truth.

Thanks. 

My comment was more for those that seem to lose their minds over historical issues or what I call “equipment accuracy”, I.e.; period correct guns and such. 

You’re right, not much known about Billy. 

1 hour ago, Bart Slade said:

From what I've read about him it's more likely the latter. He didn't really devolve into a killer until he found himself facing people bent on killing him.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party on this one...

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Billy The Kid on Amazon Prime.  To watch the rest I will have to get the Epix free trial on Amazon Prime or subscribe to Epix.

I usually refuse to watch anything made these days due to overt social engineering in everything and anything that is put before the viewer.  I am really surprised with how good this Billy The Kid series is after watching the first 2 episodes.  

It is so good, that it could have been made 30 or 40 years ago. 

Not sure where I would rate it - but it is a good break for me, from constantly watching my old favorites over and over.

1 hour ago, Rockaway Kid said:

Late to the party on this one...

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Billy The Kid on Amazon Prime.  To watch the rest I will have to get the Epix free trial on Amazon Prime or subscribe to Epix.

I usually refuse to watch anything made these days due to overt social engineering in everything and anything that is put before the viewer.  I am really surprised with how good this Billy The Kid series is after watching the first 2 episodes.  

It is so good, that it could have been made 30 or 40 years ago. 

Not sure where I would rate it - but it is a good break for me, from constantly watching my old favorites over and over.

You are not alone. The Plus and Extra channels stick in my craw. I would love to see the rest of the Dark Wind series but that ain’t gonna happen. :angry:

3 hours ago, Rockaway Kid said:

My advice is "don't bother" if you don't already have Epix.   There are only 8 episodes, and the final one is anti-climactic (ends with him joining in with Tunstall).   Although I haven't found any confirmation of their plans for this series (or even if it's being picked up for a 2nd season), I'd say they're pacing this for 3 seasons minimum.   There's too much potential that the series will either "Deadwood" (just suddenly end mid story) or "Hell on Wheels" (tell 1/2 the story in the first 4 seasons, and then rush the last 1/2 of the story into one rushed final season).

OK, I went looking for a review of the show that I agree with (haven't found one yet), but did find the following at moviehole.net.  Dig how the author calls this rendition "more truthful and detailed" despite the fact that there just isn't that much truth known about Billy the Kid.  Also, to further detract from any credibility this author has regarding knowledge of the facts, he ends with "...Billy...facining off agains the corrupt scoundrel, John Tunstall".  Check your facts bub!

Billy the Kid

Streaming. New Epix/Stan series “Billy the Kid” is the oranges to “Young Guns”’ apples.  A modern origin-story of the 19th century bushranger, the Michael Hurst-crafted series paints a more truthful and detailed portrait of the legendary felon’s (played here by Tom Blyth) history – but is it as entertaining as its predecessors?

Beginning with his years as orphaned boy Henry McCarty, his father’s suicide, and the bond he has with his mother, the first episode fixes largely on how tough it was for an Irishman to replant in America. Struggling, ‘Billy’ takes for New Mexico and falls in with the outlaw Jesse Evans and his gang. It’s during that time that he travels down the road he cannot return, killing a man in self-defence. It’s then that the series follows the storyline of the original “Young Guns” (1988), without the rock soundtrack and magazine-ready ensemble, with Billy getting caught up in the Lincoln County War – facing off against the corrupt scoundrel, John Tunstall.

Largely exploring the reasons why Billy became known as a hero, “Billy the Kid” is an engrossing watch. The series barely scratches the surface of his life, so no doubt plans are afoot for a follow-up season or two. [CC]

Archived