SASS Wire Forum

For anyone interested in the Army’s new rifle

Buckshot Bob

A two-piece cartridge (steel base plus brass body) in a 80,000 PSI performance?

Expensive, longer range than most shooters can do well, difficult to make, owned by a foreign company.  I see no problems here.

Anyone else think the 6.5x55 is probably the best cartridge for social applications and medium game?

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Expensive

Do you know what these cost compared to what they replace?

difficult to make

Don't look any more difficult to make than what they replace.

owned by a foreign company

Like Beretta M9, FN SAW, H&K 416 that the army uses now?

This rifle is manufactured at their factories in New Hampshire, and Arkansas. Not made overseas. 

Expensive? Since when does the federal government care about how expensive anything is? 

The 6.5x55 was developed primarily for killing other military personnel, not for social applications, or medium game.  

Sometimes I think expensive is a desirable feature to the government. They are always looking to maintain their budget and hopefully expand it . They don’t want anything left over at the end of the year 

I once collected every major rifle or civilian version the army used the last 100 years and beyond a little.   Then  I slowly sold most of it off and since realized they keep changing things and would go broke trying to keep up. So I mostly stopped.   I doubt I get the new version even though I love anything Sig makes that I've tried thus far.

I watched that first video from Brownells. Man, for something I first thought “Well, this is the same thing as before.” and leaving at that I was surprised how it looks so much like all the ARs that came before it, but this one really has done cool features. 
I will probably never own one, but I do like it. Too rich for my blood for the round it’s designed for isn’t proven yet. Not real keen on the bimetal concept and I have no interest in another 5.56 gun or a .300 Blackout. 

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I watched that first video from Brownells. Man, for something I first thought “Well, this is the same thing as before.” and leaving at that I was surprised how it looks so much like all the ARs that came before it, but this one really has done cool features. 
I will probably never own one, but I do like it. Too rich for my blood for the round it’s designed for isn’t proven yet. Not real keen on the bimetal concept and I have no interest in another 5.56 gun or a .300 Blackout. 

It’s definitely very expensive now . But if it actually pans out it will probably be fairly cheap in the future “economy’s of scale” . If it really takes off I don’t know if Sig could actually keep up with government demand, you could see FN or some other companies making them or at least parts .

Im guessing it will be hard to get allot of Sig products in the near future because of the demand this and supplying the military pistols will put on the company. But I hope I’m wrong with that prediction. Plus I’m sure it will have some growing pains as every new firearm has. Look at how many refinements the AR has went through. 
Where I think they may have missed the boat is applying this new cartridge tec to the 556 .

Put a steel case head on a 223 so you can run a extra 10,000 psi then jam a 6,6.5,6.8 bullet in it . 
This new gun isn’t M-14 heavy but it’s definitely heavier than a M4 , hopefully the trade off in capabilities is worth it . If your decent sized it probably won’t be as big of a drawback, but I can see some smaller framed people having difficulty’s 

Some thoughts on switching to a potentially new service rifle, new light/medium machine gun and new cartridge for all branches:

The AR-15/M-16 design dates all the way back to 1956

The average draftee probably wasn't a very good shot, so more bullets was a plus.  Better training and a more motivated volunteer force has probably increased the skill of the average infantryman or Marine with a rifle.

The relatively short ranges during the Vietnam War hid the gun's weaknesses at the longer engagement ranges generally found in Iraq & Afghanistan

As the military transitioned to the M-4, with it's 14.5" barrel. muzzle velocity dropped, which if the rumors from Iraq can believed, reduced lethality and definitely reduced maximum effective range

The advances in body armor has resulted in relatively light body armor that will stop the .223/5.556

The direct gas impingement has always been considered a design flaw, in family friendly terms "it excretes where it lives" which requires increased regular cleaning\maintenance compared to many of contemporaries.

I just looked up the Sig .277 Fury ammo, which is the new military round. A 20 round box is $79.99 on the Sig website. They’re out of stock. 

https://www.sigsauer.com/accubond-277-sig-fury-hybrid.html

RCC Brass sells the “all brass” version of the 277 Fury case at a great price! But wait, there’s more. For only $5.38 each you can buy as many individual cases as you like! -_-
https://www.rccbrass.com/product/277-fury/

Sheesh!

I will stick with my Garand in .308 and my AR-15 in 5.56 for a while longer…long while longer…

On 5/12/2022 at 3:36 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It looks like an AR because they wanted a very short learning curve.  For the non reciprocating charging handle I wish they had used the H&K design where the bolt locks open wo/pushing a bolt catch.  Once you get use to slapping the charging handle to close the bolt it is very instinctive.   I like shooting my PTR106 and used G3 magazines are 1/4 the cost of SR25 magazines.

P.S. The powder must be very fast burning to prevent a huge muzzle flash.  The British special operators tried a short barrel FAL for a short time but discontinued use due to the ridiculous muzzle flash.

Archived