SASS Wire Forum

Times Are Tough

Yul Lose

This afternoon I noticed a car parked in my driveway down at the gate by the road, about 75 yards away. I walked down towards the vehicle and I saw the driver across the street in the orange grove filling plastic trash bags with oranges. My wife has caught him stealing oranges before and I caught him stealing avocados from an adjacent avocado grove last year. The last time my wife caught him they got into a pretty heated exchange. My wife came out as I was walking back up to the house and she wanted to go down and get into it again with him but I talked her out of it. I went and got an iPad and took some pictures of him and his car and license plate and then he saw me and came back across the road to his car. I asked him if the grove was his and he said no but whosever it was wouldn’t miss a few tangerines. He had about 30 lbs by my estimate, maybe more. He then got in his car and drove off. 

We’ve reported the thefts in the past and called this one in too but have never seen a deputy come out to find out any information about the thefts. What upsets my wife the most is that the water to raise this stuff is over $1,800.00 an acre foot and it’s very tough to make a profit, she should know that’s the business she’s in. The thief was in his late 60’s or older and you’d think he’d know better.

Hey , Yul!!

Take your recorded video and pass it around on the internet and show it to the local news, telling them that you have presented the evidence to the authorities and they’ve done nothing! Most of these “Channel whatever Investigates” are starving for something to criticize Law Enforcement about.

He’s probably local, so do everything you can to expose him to the public and embarrass and convict him in the public eye!!!

36 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I can think of some interesting crossovers between tripwires and high end electric cattle fences.

Isn’t our grove.

But it is your driveway and that guy was trespassing. 
Of course, in this state you probably have to have a “no trespassing” sign every 50’ around the entire perimeter of your property and some other bull crap regulations to follow. 

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Most of the little stands ... you know the type, a table, maybe a chair, a few bags of fruit... are selling stolen goods.   A significant problem in California.

Not that many years ago avocado theft was big business. One day the sheriffs deputy and my neighbor came knocking at my door asking if I’d seen anyone over in the grove across the road in the last week or so. I told them that I had seen a couple of vans that looked like picking crew vans in the grove the week before. The neighbor asked me why I didn’t tell him about it and I told him I didn’t know it was up to me to watch over his grove. Anyway the estimated loss was in the thousands because they had pretty much stripped it clean of avocados. The grove is now owned by a guy up in L.A. and he built a house up above the grove his kid watches over it. I’ve gone over to his place to tell him about it and he just shrug his shoulders, doesn’t have much interest in it. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But it is your driveway and that guy was trespassing. 
Of course, in this state you probably have to have a “no trespassing” sign every 50’ around the entire perimeter of your property and some other bull crap regulations to follow. 

No not trespassing according to the sheriff, there is a public right of way so many feet off the center of the pavement.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

No not trespassing according to the sheriff, there is a public right of way so many feet off the center of the pavement.

A right of way when used like that blocks entrance and egress of your property, but that probably doesn’t matter to the sheriff. 

When we had orange and grapefruit trees on our property we had the same issue with random strangers pulling into our driveway and helping themselves to the fruit. 

image.thumb.png.dfea5ab068a0d2a051affaf0090a7ee4.png

There was eventually one gentleman that rang our doorbell and asked if he could have the remaining fruit after harvesting was over to take to the church food kitchen. 

We obliged. 

We only had a dozen assorted trees and could only eat and juice so much. 

Ask and you will receive IMHO.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Cops have little or no interest in investigating what to them is petty theft.

Doesn't generate enough revenue, in fact, usually cost the City/State/County money when all of the costs are added up. 

For example, citations for unlawful speed (speeding ticket) has absolutely nothing to do with safety, it's all about generating revenue for the City/State/County where the citation was issued. One piece of paper, 15 minutes and the jurisdiction has made at least $200's. Simple math.

Don't you know that anything growing or maybe just sitting out side of the City Limits belongs to anyone that would like to have .??   Farmers are so rich that they are happy to allow you to have any of that stuff if it pleases you.The farmer loves to "share" with everyone.  

A fellow came onto my place when no one was home. and "shared" 2 chainsaws, tool box, gas cans, aluminum ladder and a log chain.  I was thrilled to make someone happy.

Sarcasm mode off.  ANGRY ANGRY ANGRY

It was summer of 2017 in Russian occupied Crimea. I was visiting friends in the capital city, Simferopol. We made a day trip to Sevastopol. it was a long lonely road through mostly agrarian countryside, many beehives. Once in a while there would be a table on the roadside, unattended, but with many jars of honey and a cash box.

I won’t represent that the Russian people are very trusting or trustworthy. In the cities there is a lot of security and petty crime is not uncommon but there in the wide open with nobody looking, it was different.

Many years ago (1980s) just outside of Ft Benning Ga I saw a sign in a watermelon field beside the road that said ONE OF THESE WATERMELLONS IS POISONED, I KNOW WHICH ONE DO YOU ? always though that was an interesting way to keep the casual snatch and grab people on their toes

... any time I get a tear in my clothing, I tell folks that I got snagged in the barbed wire fence around the neighbours' watermelon patch ......

....... sometimes it's true ...   :blush:

i dont live in california so i dont know all the circumstances you might face , but , are there folks out there trying to scrape by that try to feed their family this way ? not justifying , just asking , sometimes things are not as they seem on the surface , 

that clothing tear might not be as much theft related as survival motivated , but then i was just trying to see a reason why someone might take what is not theirs 

On 5/9/2022 at 7:30 PM, Yul Lose said:

Not that many years ago avocado theft was big business. One day the sheriffs deputy and my neighbor came knocking at my door asking if I’d seen anyone over in the grove across the road in the last week or so. I told them that I had seen a couple of vans that looked like picking crew vans in the grove the week before. The neighbor asked me why I didn’t tell him about it and I told him I didn’t know it was up to me to watch over his grove. Anyway the estimated loss was in the thousands because they had pretty much stripped it clean of avocados. The grove is now owned by a guy up in L.A. and he built a house up above the grove his kid watches over it. I’ve gone over to his place to tell him about it and he just shrug his shoulders, doesn’t have much interest in it. 

Used to bea california law that $50..00 constitute grand theft unless it was avocados.  Then it was $25.00.  Don't know if it's still on the books that way.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Used to bea california law that $50..00 constitute grand theft unless it was avocados.  Then it was $25.00.  Don't know if it's still on the books that way.

Unless it’s $1,000.00 it’s not considered a crime. 

I wonder what the cost of me fishing in Michigan was to the local growers? We lived off apples, peaches, black, blue, and strawberries all day while we fished the creeks around us. LOL

Archived