SASS Wire Forum

OT---A new AR with a "SURPRISE" inside!

Mustang Gregg

Sorry, but no, it's not a baby gila monster in there-----

My new neighbor's son bought a NIB unfired AR (not naming the mfr just yet).

He is brand new to the AR15/M16 rifles.  He was wondering what the slight rattle inside was.

I guessed that it was the firing pin floating fore and aft in the bolt carrier.

But just to check, I filed stripped it and found that there was no buffer retainer pin or retainer spring in it.

In fact, those 2 parts were lying in the lower receiver by the trigger assy. 

The crazy part of all this is that the buffer retainer pin will not even fit in the recess where it is supposed to go.

The spring will go in, but the hollow retaining pin is a few thousandths too large to go in the hole.

Luckily they had not attempted to fire it yet.  It's going back to the factory as soon as I contact them!

This is bull crap for the QC not to find this!

Has anyone else seen this before?

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

buy from reputable mfgrs they test fire and find such chit in the QC process 

How do you know it’s not a “reputable “ mfgr? They mess up ever so often also!

Thanks for the replies.

It was from a "reputable" company.  And it is going back as soon as he gets it boxed up.  

The rifle probably would actually fire as the bolt carrier cycles with or without the buffer retaining pin.

But with the parts floating around in there, bad stuff would have happened quickly.

You have to loosen the buffer tube to insert the retaining pin, then tighten to hold the pin in under spring pressure. Yes loose parts rattling around will cause problems.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would like to know who made that.

I will post the outfit as soon as the mfr will agree to repair it.

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

How do you know it’s not a “reputable “ mfgr? They mess up ever so often also!

you are right about that but less often than the FBN outfits , ill watch to see how things turn out - the reputable will fix the problem if one turns up 

10 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I would bet the buffer tube was not screwed in enough to properly catch the pin, needed one more turn. Pin popped out in transit. Easy mistake to make.

I would have believed that, but the pin will not even fit into the hole.

I do not really understand why you can’t tell us who made the faulty firearm, @Mustang Gregg

Regardless of whether or not they fix it, the problem is they let a pretty bad defect slide right by and it sounds like it was more than just an oversight. 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, watab kid said:

you are right about that but less often than the FBN outfits , ill watch to see how things turn out - the reputable will fix the problem if one turns up 

I happen to be one of those,  as you called them, FBN manufacturers. I build a few dozen rifle per year and I GD guarantee my firearms have ZERO QC issues! I can assure you that Ruger, Smith, SA, and many many other big name companies that I have received firearms for transfer cannot make that claim as I've received their junk for transfers to buyers. But hey, place your bets/blame on that is a small businesses. I'd take that bet. 

JEL

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

I happen to be one of those,  as you called them, FBN manufacturers. I build a few dozen rifle per year and I GD guarantee my firearms have ZERO QC issues! I can assure you that Ruger, Smith, SA, and many many other big name companies that I have received firearms for transfer cannot make that claim as I've received their junk for transfers to buyers. But hey, place your bets/blame on that is a small businesses. I'd take that bet. 

JEL

then you NOT one of the FBN outfits , you are anything but , im not trying to paint with a wide brush , those that specialize and limit their work to the quality they live by are far different than what i was referring to -i agree the big name does not insure quality , the service is supposed to but even that can be lacking    ill back out and shut up as im being misinterpreted and it most likely has to do with my choice of words ,

Quality is “quality”, regardless of of whether or not a maker is a corporation or a small business.

I just got more to the story.

Here's what was relayed to me.

The guy that bought it unscrewed the buffer tube without removing the buffer and recoil spring first and then screwed on an aftermarket stock.

Actually he didn't even know how to open an AR rifle.

It must have burred the threads a little bit screwing it in because spring and pin wouldn't go back in after they were found in the action.

So it was not a quality control issue from the factory.

It was an inexperienced gunsmith issue.

Maybe an internet gunsmith (?).

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I just got more to the story.

Here's what was relayed to me.

The guy that bought it unscrewed the buffer tube without removing the buffer and recoil spring first and then screwed on an aftermarket stock.

Actually he didn't even know how to open an AR rifle.

It must have burred the threads a little bit screwing it in because spring and pin wouldn't go back in after they were found in the action.

So it was not a quality control issue from the factory.

It was an inexperienced gunsmith issue.

Maybe an internet gunsmith (?).

Thanks very much. 

It’s surprising how often things like that happen. 

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thanks very much. 

It’s surprising how often things like that happen. 

No it isn't. 

My first attempt at putting an AR lower together was a comedy of errors.  I had watched a dozen videos, read twice that many articles on how to do it, still took 4 tries to get the buffer tube screwed into the correct depth.  Plus getting the springs and pins mixed up.  

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No it isn't. 

My first attempt at putting an AR lower together was a comedy of errors.  I had watched a dozen videos, read twice that many articles on how to do it, still took 4 tries to get the buffer tube screwed into the correct depth.  Plus getting the springs and pins mixed up.  

Me too. Went by an old military manual and managed to put the hammer spring in upsidedown! Sorta functioned, but had numerous light primer hits. One day, just happened to notice. Much better now!

Archived