SASS Wire Forum

38 spcl,158 gr, CNL loads.

Tequila Tony

I have used the HSM Cowboy .38 Spl and .357  Magnum ammo.

It's good, accurate, consistent ammo. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I didn't have reloads or couldn't reload.

Their .45 Colt and their 45-70 Cowboy ammo is very good as well.

HSM ammo seems to be good ammo. The only issue I've seen

is they use a very short taper crimp, at least on the .45 Colt.

Have seen no problems in revolvers but in tube feed rifles sometimes

you will get a bullet pushed back into the case. If anyone in my area

is using it I offer to run them thru my press using a Lee factory crimp

die which give a nice roll crimp.

Marshal Stone

4 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I purchased from Georgia Arms before I started reloading. Good ammo.

I have a bunch of their 44-40 ammo and have no complaints.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:34 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

.68¢ a round including shipping ain't bad these days (but it was half that price before the damned pandemic). :(

At these rates you will spend roughly $40 per stage in shot ammo at a regional shoot (20 rounds per stage per three round stage- total 60 rounds). 60 rounds times 68¢ (per stage) is $40. Add that times six stages and you shot up $250 in ammo for the day. Crazy times!

* And that does not account the need for shotty ammo per stage. Those are now $18 per box of 25 (Winchester AA shells). 12 shells per three round stage x's six stages total is 72 shells shot total and another $55 added to the total. So now you have a total amount of $305 in shot ammo.

Let's not even get into gas and food for the day! It all add's up to $500 per shoot (and likely more the father you travel for the day round trip). UGH! 

4 hours ago, Tequila Tony said:

.68¢ a round including shipping ain't bad these days (but it was half that price before the damned pandemic). :(

At these rates you will spend roughly $40 per stage in shot ammo at a regional shoot (20 rounds per stage per three round stage- total 60 rounds). 60 rounds times 68¢ (per stage) is $40. Add that times six stages and you shot up $250 in ammo for the day. Crazy times!

* And that does not account the need for shotty ammo per stage. Those are now $18 per box of 25 (Winchester AA shells). 12 shells per three round stage x's six stages total is 72 shells shot total and another $55 added to the total. So now you have a total amount of $305 in shot ammo.

Let's not even get into gas and food for the day! It all add's up to $500 per shoot (and likely more the father you travel for the day round trip). UGH! 

Your math is off.

$0.68 per round times 20 rounds (10 pistol and 10 rifle) on a stage is $13.60. Times 6 stages is $81.60. Add in a box of shotgun shells and you are up to between $90 and $100 for a 1 day match.

This is why you have to reload if you intend to shoot very much.

For some perspective a day ride on a motorcyle will cost you about the same. $100 for fuel plus food and drinks for the day and you are not far off the cost of a SASS match. 

OK, so it's gonna be likely at least $200 for the day (still in the general ballpark cost wise).

Anyone try these folks for ammo?

CHOICE COWBOY AMMO

On 5/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Your math is off.

$0.68 per round times 20 rounds (10 pistol and 10 rifle) on a stage is $13.60. Times 6 stages is $81.60. Add in a box of shotgun shells and you are up to between $90 and $100 for a 1 day match.

This is why you have to reload if you intend to shoot very much.

For some perspective a day ride on a motorcyle will cost you about the same. $100 for fuel plus food and drinks for the day and you are not far off the cost of a SASS match. 

51 minutes ago, Tequila Tony said:

OK, so it's gonna be likely at least $200 for the day (still in the general ballpark cost wise).

CHOICE COWBOY AMMO

Yup, I have used their 44-40 and was very pleased with it. Would not hesitate to use them again.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2022 at 2:29 PM, Tequila Tony said:

CHOICE COWBOY AMMO

Choice Ammo is very good. Can’t go wrong with it - if you can get it. 

Archived