SASS Wire Forum

Which BP or BP Sub Of These?

Cholla

I am gearing up to shoot my Sharps in .45-70.

I have the following powders:

3 pounds of Goex 2F

1 pound of GOEX 3F

2 pounds of Pyrodex RS

1 pound of APP 3F

I assume I can buy APP in 2F and 3F from Scarlett.

I know many of you prefer 1.5F and brands that are not readily available.

I need to have a accurate load worked up for Bordertown. What would be my best option of the above?

Cholla,

For what it's worth, I just started shooting APP in my .45-70.  I used 45 grains by weight of 3F APP with a 405 grain Laser Cast bullet.  OAL was 2.545", and I used a  pretty firm crimp with  a Lee Factory Crimp Die.  10 shot velocity average was 1293 fps.  50 yard group was 1 1/2" while my 100 yard group was a little over 3".

I also tried a load with 350 grain lead bullets and 49 grains (by weight) of APP, but wasn't quite as happy with it.

Good luck to you!  I'm just learning the ropes with APP, but I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

--Doc

Of those, definitely the Goex 2F.  Take the Pyrodex out and mix it in with some potting soil for the flower garden... Makes a really good fertilizer... pardon the pun, but it'll make an explosion of flowers...   use plenty of water in you mix... so you don't get an actual explosion... :P

PLUS ONE for Griff You Betcha.

That Pyrodex is only good for fertilizer or blowing stumps.  Pyrodex is a RUSTING AGENT that just happens to burn.  You can watch your guns rust between the range and your car.

I shoot APP exclusively.  Shotgun, Pistols and Rifles and Percussion.  Note:  The rifles are pistol cases like 45 Schofield, Cowboy 45 Special, 38 Special and 38-55.  Pistols are also 38 Special, Cowboy 45 Special.  I do not shoot any "large" rifle cases.  No help there.  Except:

I'd go with the 2f GOEX. 

I shoot 2F in my trap door with good results. I found an old can of Goex CT in the shop but have never used it. I think the CT was 1.5F from what I was told. I agree what is said about Pyrodex and have stayed away from it for years. Black MZ was sold through Sportsmens Warehouse and was a product of APP. I paid $9.00 a pound when I bought three cases a few years ago. It was repackaged and sells for $25.00 or more but never used for long range so no idea how it would shoot. Black MZ works good in my Schofield rounds but don’t like it in my C&B revolvers. Try all but Pyrodex and see what your rifle prefers.

3 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I shoot 2F in my trap door with good results. I found an old can of Goex CT in the shop but have never used it. I think the CT was 1.5F from what I was told. I agree what is said about Pyrodex and have stayed away from it for years. Black MZ was sold through Sportsmens Warehouse and was a product of APP. I paid $9.00 a pound when I bought three cases a few years ago. It was repackaged and sells for $25.00 or more but never used for long range so no idea how it would shoot. Black MZ works good in my Schofield rounds but don’t like it in my C&B revolvers. Try all but Pyrodex and see what your rifle prefers.

Black MZ was 2.5F from APP for Alliant. Alliant had storage issues or something and unloaded it to Sportsman’s Warehouse for CHEAP.  Now, Shooters World (full disclosure, I’m rep for both SW and APP) offers Multi-Black - the same formula as Black MZ also made by APP. I say all this to clarify that there was not some huge price increase or gouging situation. It’s because the Black MZ was sold so low and we got spoiled…now we have to pay “real” money for it. 

@Cholla let us know what you find out in your testing! I’m gonna start shooting my 45-70 again and want to use APP! It’s gonna be fun. I’ve missed shooting long range!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Cholla, I have nothing to add to the advice you already received, but stay away from the Pyrodex.

Back in the day when I shot an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor, one side match had us shoot 10 rounds &  I used 5 2F black and 5 Pyrodex. After the match there was a Cowboy potluck and I got carried away with that and forgot to clean my brass as was my usual habit. 

The next morning the Pyrodex brass was corroded & turning green. The black powder brass was fine & salvageable. Swore off of Pyrodex after that…

Pyrodex will rust your gun like the doors on '75 Chevy pickup.:lol:

I’d stay away from 2F APP the granules are just too large IMHO.   It’s funny to see the difference in granule size of real BP to APP, like night and day. 

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Pyrodex will rust your gun like the doors on '75 Chevy pickup.:lol:

My dad had a 1972 Chevy that needed new rocker panels so I get the idea.

Archived