SASS Wire Forum

Shoulder Replacement

Kid Drover

Please, I need some advice.  Is anyone shooting with a shoulder replacement?  I am right handed and am quickly getting in need of a left shoulder "reverse" shoulder replacement.   If you have had your weak side shoulder replaced, would you please tell me the pros and cons for shooting.  The doc says I won't have any more motion than I have now.   However,  it will relieve the pain.  I am worried about the strength of the shoulder being able to hold the rifle steady and strong against my right shoulder while shooting.  And, I will have to stretch my left arm out straight to fire my pistols.  

Any advice will surely be appreciated.   

Thanks,

Kid Drover

I have had several kinds of surgery in my life, shoulder was the most painful and took the longest to recover from.  I had strong side rotator cuff done.  No effect on rifle or hand gun shooting, once recovered, but I can't shoot a bow accurately anymore.  Otherwise, strength returned to pre surgical level.  If they offer pain pills, take and fill the prescription, you will likely want them.

I had the reverse shoulder replacement and ligament re-attachment 3 1/2 years ago. Range of motion changed. I can't thread my belt through the back of my pants. I bought a new holster that has the right one dropped. I had issues bringing my hand high up because of the limited motion in my shoulder.

The licker is, after all this time I can't hold my pistol up with one hand, or lift a 1/2 gallon of milk. I shoot dualist so I put my left hand in my armpit to allow me to hold my pistol up in my right hand.

Rifle no issues.

shotgun I needed a padded stock to limit the shock to the joint.

Long range laying down doesn't work well as the padded stock now rests against the collar bone. You can't put the stock in the crease of your arm and body. Sitting up works.

Hope this helps

Do not skimp on physical therapy.

I had a strong side shoulder replacement done about 4 years ago.  Still haven't regained all the strength I had in my arm but it is getting better all the time.  Physical therapy is a must and I still do my exercises today to help keep me pain free and mobile.

Talk to Johnny Meadows, he's had both done with reverse replacements and is very happy with it. I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder 3 years ago it's still not good.I have an appointment with the Mayo Clinic next month to see if they can do anything.

I can't remember how long after I had mine done that I started doing some shooting.  But I know that I started with a 22    rifle, then I tried a 410 shotgun (I figured out quickly that I was not a 410 shooter and got rid of all my 410 equipment and loading supplies), then to my 357 lever gun with a light Cowboy load and finally got back to my Trap & Skeet shooting.  But I had a Graco recoil device put on my two shotguns to help with the recoil and only shot 1 oz loads. 

As mentioned above, I've had both shoulders replaced with a reverse shoulder replacement.

First was the left shoulder about 5 years ago. It was amazing, very little pain after the second week and I was shooting after 5 weeks with strength enough to hold up the rifle and revolvers. 5 years and no pain in that shoulder after over 30 years of constant pain.

Second shoulder reverse replacement 10 weeks ago. Same as the first replacement, very little pain after the second week. It being the shouldeer that my shotgun recoils against, I waited until the 8th week before shooting a 6 stage match. During the match I felt no pain, but the following week I had a little pain during everyday movements, so I will give it another month before trying the shotgun again. I loaded the shotgun shells to very light loads before the first attempt to shoot a match. I'm hoping that the right shoulder will get to the point that I can shoot a shotgun again without further damaging the shoulder.

The reverse shoulder replacement is less invasive that a standard shoulder replacement. People I know that have had the standard replacement have all faced recovery of 3 to 6 months. As discribed above the reverse shoulder replacement was a quick recovery.

There are some movements that do not come back easily, but vigilance in working to gain the movement is necessary.

Johnny Meadows

I have had both shoulders replaced, regular replacement, not reversal. Everything went well and I was back to shooting in less than 3 months. (did intense PT). Then I tore the rotator cuff on my right shoulder. I shoot long guns left handed. My Dr says I now need a reversed replacement on my right shoulder. I have not done it and probably wont. I am 80 and I just don't want any more surgeries. I am a cancer survivor  (25 years) and have had 11 major surgeries. I havn't shot in almost 2years as I have trouble holding up long guns with my right arm. I still hunt big game, but use a shooting stick to support my rifle when I am shooting. 

If you decide to do the surgery, do as intense physical therapy as you can stand. Faster recovery and stronger joint is the result. Good luck.........

On 5/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Mister Badly said:

You can always hold your guns lower. Very easy on the shoulder. 

You are quickly becoming an Outlaw spokesman.

I salute your enthusiasm.

I’ve had both shoulders replaced and both were reverse. I also had a bicep in the right arm reaatached, however they could only could attach it to another tendon. Big loss of strength. I have no trouble lifting a rifle or shotgun. But very recoil sensitive. I sold all of my high power rifles, all but a few 12 gauge shotguns. Haven’t been able to shoot cowboy since 2016. I am preparing to teach mYself to shoot outlaw with 22s

Out of the two replacement surgeries I have had, left knee and right shoulder, the shoulder replacement was by far the easiest and most productive.  However, I had severe complications with the knee replacement, due to a staph infection, which required 3 additional surgeries and left me half crippled before they were done.  The reason I mention this is that everyone takes a real risk with any surgery and the results are simply not guaranteed by any means.  Even without complications the final results can vary quite a bit from person to person.  This type of surgery is a choice that should be carefully considered, while they are very good at doing these replacements and the risks are lower than even a few years back, but anything can happen and the end results can indeed be life changing either way!  

Although I didn't have the "Reverse" shoulder procedure done, the replacement went perfectly, I recovered quickly, and the only ill effect is that it is now impossible to reach around back as far as I used.  This required me to install a bidet attachment on our home toilet, but was an easy fix.  Otherwise, there is far less pain and shoulder functions quite well and far better than before the surgery.  Except for the reach around effect, it's like a brand new shoulder and considering the pain it was giving me, the surgery was a good choice and I'm glad I went ahead with it!  As far as shooting, I've had no noticeable effects whatsoever with the shoulder and I hope yours goes as well.  Good luck and good shooting to all.

Archived