SASS Wire Forum

Bp shot gun shell wad

JohnWesleyHardin

On 5/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

You're probably going to need Claybuster 3/4oz wads; they're pink. I can't remember the number; maybe CB0175-12

Grey 7/8 Claybusters might work too, but crimp may be a little concave unless you use a bean or some styrofoam in the shot. CB0178-12

I'm in Tyrel's camp. Been using the pink 3/4 oz Claybusters for going on 4 years with no issues. I use them for BP and smokeless. 

I use about 50 grns of BP, a Claybuster CB1138-12 12ga WAA12R wad and 7/8 shot with a bit of filler (sago) on to to form a nice crimp.

Yes theres some plastic left in bores, i clean it out at the end of the day using mooses milk and a tornado brush, easy and clean

On 5/9/2022 at 3:56 AM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I have been shooting Cowboy for 30 years.

I don't use a plastic wad. I use fiber wads then drop shot on top of them.

For the distance we shoot don't need a shot cup.

I'm gearing up to shoot/load BP shotgun and I'm curious about how necessary or not it is to lube fiber cushions. I plan on reloading brass and once-fired paper hulls. I know for the brass hulls, some adjustments need to be made to which gauge wads and cards due to the thickness of the brass. Are any other adjustments required for the paper hulls?

On 5/10/2022 at 6:03 PM, JackSlade said:

I'm gearing up to shoot/load BP shotgun and I'm curious about how necessary or not it is to lube fiber cushions....

I use dry fiber wads.  I started with lubed wads, but they are a mess and crumble.  I saw no difference in performance or after-match cleaning with the dry wads so that's what I do.  YMMV.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I am new to black powder loading.  I'm trying to load shotgun shells. I'm dropping 42 grains of black powder using 7/8 ounces of shot.  I need a suggestion for a wad.

Cut the cup off the 7/8" wad and use that only with a 1/2" lubed fibre wad underneath, which goes on top of a thin cardboard wad, on top of the powder.

So it's powder, thin card wad, lubed fibre wad, wad cup only, shot in cup.:D

I use Kathouse Kelli's make up pad removers in place of the rolled into a ball paper towel.:D

Spray the barrel with windex and spray the pad on one side, shove it down the barrel, then turn it over and use the other side for the clean up.

Archived