SASS Wire Forum

Bp shot gun shell wad

JohnWesleyHardin

I am new to black powder loading.  I'm trying to load shotgun shells. I'm dropping 42 grains of black powder using 7/8 ounces of shot.  I need a suggestion for a wad.

AA and Sts. My regular wads are Claybuster 4100.  I used another recommendation but they are too short.20220506_221825.thumb.jpg.f9dd9bf567119ad56f32bfe9624424ae.jpg are too short.

19 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I am new to black powder loading.  I'm trying to load shotgun shells. I'm dropping 42 grains of black powder using 7/8 ounces of shot.  I need a suggestion for a wad.

I use the grey claybuster CB0178-12 with Winchester Hulls

You're probably going to need Claybuster 3/4oz wads; they're pink. I can't remember the number; maybe CB0175-12

Grey 7/8 Claybusters might work too, but crimp may be a little concave unless you use a bean or some styrofoam in the shot. CB0178-12

Based on your photos your wads are too short and too long. STSand gun club load the same. 

You will only get one safe BP reload out of your hulls. Might want to save the nice sts for smokeless. 

How are you measuring both powder and shot. We need to manipulate those to accommodate your wad length. 

Your Windjammer wads aren't giving you enough room for powder. 

Using the shorter length wad you need a filler or increase amount of BP and Shot. 

The dynamics of BP don't allow "lite" loads. But even full loads don't have a hard recoil. 

That shorty red wad is what you want to use. 

24 minutes ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I don't really want to add anything to the powder/shot

Are you using a single stage or progressive, or hand dipping powder and Shot. 

Nitro card over powder will, help your stack heights. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Nitro-Cards/products/118/

Square loads work well, with BP (equal powder to shot) but then you need to adjust wad length for crimp. Hard to find a light shot cup with a large volume powder side. 

use the suggested claybuster grey wad. 

4 hours ago, CASS, Singing Hills Ranch said:

Mine scorch and plenty of pickups available at the clubs from other trapshooters. 

5 hours ago, CASS, Singing Hills Ranch said:

You will only get one safe BP reload out of your hulls.

So because your hulls get scorched and because you can find plenty of hulls left by trap shooters, that somehow results in somebody else only getting one safe BP reload from their hulls?  Let's try to separate opinion from fact.  Please don't BS someone who's trying to learn.

@Jackalope, I agree. I'll try to keep using them until they no longer fall out of chamber, start to split, or pinhole at  the crimp.

All my quality checks might add a little bit of time to the reloading process, but a few extra minutes spent in the reloading room can save you precious seconds on the firing line. It seems to work out in the end.

1 hour ago, Jackalope said:

So because your hulls get scorched and because you can find plenty of hulls left by trap shooters, that somehow results in somebody else only getting one safe BP reload from their hulls?  Let's try to separate opinion from fact.  Please don't BS someone who's trying to learn.

Take it easy partner. Perhaps

the word “safe” was not exactly accurate but it’s hardly a reason to call the whole statement BS. I don’t pick up my BP reloads as they get pretty toasty on the crimp end from firing. I doubt it’s a safety issue whatsoever but I could also see the crimps falling apart after a few reloads. As noted, you can generally find adequate quantities of almost any hull desired at the local trap/skeet range. 

To OP- I prefer the Nitro 27 shells as they look kind of like brass hulls. Nothing added to the shot or powder in mine either but I can verify that 0000 wool can make some fun night shots. 1F powder is also good for same. 

I started reloading shotgun shells last year. The Winchester hulls are drying up at the range as more shooters are reloading due to high shell prices and low availability

If the Claybuster wad resulted in a nice crimp, what exactly is the problem?

8 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I use the grey claybuster CB0178-12 with Winchester Hulls

I use the CB0178-12 with 3 ccs of powder and 7/8 oz of shot in Gun Club or STS and they work and crimp just fine.

If you are loading on a MEC get an adjustable charge bar. Then stack height will never be a problem.

FWIW. I load AA or STS hulls with 42 grs. ( 3.1 cc )By weight of FFF real BP. A Winchester pink wad and 1 oz. #8 shot and the crimp is nice. Minimal recoil. Likely more shot than needed, but works with wads I had on hand. I only use a couple hundred a year, so I don't worry about the extra shot I use.

I use 7/8oz. in my smokeless shells.

I was taught by Jackalope & his Pards out of Cowboy Town to use fiber wads in my BP loads. Bought the first batch online many moons ago & am currently working with a batch from OTC at a gun store that handled BP supplies.

I must 2nd Jackalope as well in the use if cases. I load 55 gr of powder & get 2-3 uses out of a hull. 
The hull doesn’t fail it just no longer loads all the way into my ‘87.

13 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

JW

I’ve used a load very similar to yours except I was using a CB1100-12 wad which is similar height to your windjammer wad. I found that load lacking for some knockdown targets. 

@John Wesley Hardin  I’m not going to pile on to what’s been already said I’ll just add a couple of things to think about.  Using plastic wads with real BP does make reloading faster but there is a trade off, part of the wad will melt in the barrel.  It’s not a big deal however after shooting cleaning is different, here’s the easiest way I’ve found to get the plastic out.  Put a rubber stopper in the muzzle, then fill the barrel with Windex with vinegar, go clean a pistol or 2, then remove stopper.  As soon as you empty the Windex follow up with a good size piece of paper towel stuffed push it through from the breech.  You should get a wet, black, plastic snake coming out, I suggest you do that last step outside.  Run a bore brush a couple of times, then a dry paper towel.  Once you’re happy with it lubricate with a BP compatible lube, I use Bore Butter on a barrel mop.  Lastly make sure any and all cleaning and lube products are BP compatible.  Now go out and enjoy the smoke and fire. 

@Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 video is spot on, the only other thing that I do (and maybe he does it too, just not in the video) is after everything is cleaned I’ll put some Kroil on a patch and wipe down the outside of the gun, then I’ll follow up with a dry patch over the same area.  Living along the Gulf Coast and having a lot of humidity year round the Kroil wipe down has kept all my guns rust free.

15 hours ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

JW

I’ve used a load very similar to yours except I was using a CB1100-12 wad which is similar height to your windjammer wad. I found that load lacking for some knockdown targets. 

Thanks, I need all the info I can get.  Chili has been helping me a lot. I have some ROA that I will be shooting once I get some holster. 

The red wad someone recommended to you is the old AA wad or copy. it was for heavy loads even though the pedals would only go up about 1/18 ounce worth and was sometimes used with old hulls years ago that high base wads. The Winchester version was discontinued a few years ago. People often recommended them for black powder loads  when people were still loading full strength amounts of powder and 1 1/8 ounce of shot. The recommendations you have received are  much more current for what people are loading. If you happened to have a lot of those red wads, you could use them up by putting a filler wad to get them to the right height for the load you want. I have seen a lot of black powder shotgun shooters trying to find them so you might be able to trade them for just what you want

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 video is spot on, the only other thing that I do (and maybe he does it too, just not in the video) is after everything is cleaned I’ll put some Kroil on a patch and wipe down the outside of the gun, then I’ll follow up with a dry patch over the same area.  Living along the Gulf Coast and having a lot of humidity year round the Kroil wipe down has kept all my guns rust free.

I do the same thing, except I use Tetra gun

I do as well, however I don't fill the barrels with the Windex/vinegar. Just a few spritz in each end of both. Turn occasionally while cleaning another gun. 95% of the time they come shiny clean after pushing the paper towel thru. I did have my forcing cones lengthened and polished. That made a big difference compared to the rough ones from Stoeger!

When I shot the plastic wads I just squirted some vinegar windex down the tubes and finished up unloading the wagon. I bought a Tornado brush and it pushed all that plastic snot right out of the barrels. Two or three patches and good to go. I only shoot brass shells now so not an issue with plastic snot anymore. It is way easier to clean your shotgun when you get home and faster then as well. All ideas listed are effective so fin$ the best option for you. I used plastic wads and fiber wads and both worked out well for me. Welcome to the Dark Side of our game. DC

4 hours ago, Tulsey, SASS#11236 said:

The red wad someone recommended to you is the old AA wad or copy. it was for heavy loads even though the pedals would only go up about 1/18 ounce worth and was sometimes used with old hulls years ago that high base wads. The Winchester version was discontinued a few years ago. People often recommended them for black powder loads  when people were still loading full strength amounts of powder and 1 1/8 ounce of shot. The recommendations you have received are  much more current for what people are loading. If you happened to have a lot of those red wads, you could use them up by putting a filler wad to get them to the right height for the load you want. I have seen a lot of black powder shotgun shooters trying to find them so you might be able to trade them for just what you want

The red wads (CB1138-12) make good black powder trap loads.  I saw many of these wads downrange at EOT this year so I know some are still loading with them.

Regarding cleaning, melted plastic slides out of chrome-lined shotgun barrels easiest.  Cheap napkins from fast food outlets work as well as paper towels.  I use them while on the road.  Being frugal I use WalMart's Multi-surface cleaner with vinegar instead of the Windex-branded product.

image.png.71c19643e3c0f81fc618fd5be394e6de.png

What’s the worry.  If you shoot APP you only need to clean your shotgun every 4 or 5 matches!(he said with tongue in cheek)

Archived