SASS Wire Forum

What you suppose the cops would do?

Alpo

I noticed a weed growing up in my hedge. I was initially upset, because of the shape of the leaves. But then after a moment I decided it was not reefer.

But it got me thinking. If it had been, and I were to call the police and tell them, "I believe there is a marijuana plant growing among my azaleas," what would they do? Just come look, agree that yes that was marijuana, and dig it up and take it away with them, thanking me for telling them about it? Or arrest me for growing marijuana?

Considering it is a native plant in most of the eastern USA, I doubt anything. I have been told by pot smokers that native weed isn't very powerful and not desired for smoking. Back in the 1970s, my grandma was living in a rental in Iowa. The previous tenants were pot smokers and would toss the seeds out the window which happened to be right above a flower garden. She would have the occasional plant germinate and the local police were kind enough to come by and pull it up for her. No issues.

Bear in mind the hemp was grown commercially in the Midwest for rope and other uses until folks started growing it for smoking. It would grow profusely along railroad tracks from shipping hemp and the RR would spray it with weed killer. Before we moved back to Arizona, the hemp lobby in Indiana keep pushing to allow the cultivation of hemp again but the DNR kept claiming they had no way to tell fiber-grade hemp from more powerful strains. The hemp lobby kept saying that was not the case. I suspect it would be very easy for a grower to sneak smoking-grade into a field of fiber-grade. The Cornbread Mafia was/is very skillful at hiding it in corn fields and they don't even look alike.

Why risk dumbassery? Yank it and forget it. 
Years ago a friend of mine was renting a room from his uncle. My friend was playing his electric guitar pretty loudly in his uncle’s garage on a Saturday afternoon. Someone called the police. The police arrived to tell him to turn it down. The officer also noticed 2 suspicious looking plants in the flower garden behind the garage as he was looking for an access door to enter the garage. Apparently my friend couldn’t hear him knock in the roll up door. 
The officer reported this “drug house” and multiple units arrived. 
My friend had to answer a whole bunch of questions. The cops dug up the plants for evidence. Then decided my friend needed to be arrested and questioned. A warrant was produced to search the home. My friend’s uncle and uncle’s girlfriend weren’t home. Mark went to the police station and was basically interrogated regarding these two plants. 
Anyway, the uncle arrived home to find police officers searching his home. It turns out the uncle was growing hemp plants for an arts & crafts series of classes where he was going to make his own hemp rope for a hanging planter and those were the only two plants to survive his gardening efforts. 

All this because of two scraggly hemp plants that probably wouldn’t have netted a 20th of an ounce of dried leaves. 

Pull It - Trash It!

19 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Considering it is a native plant in most of the eastern USA, I doubt anything. I have been told by pot smokers that native weed isn't very powerful and not desired for smoking. Back in the 1970s, my grandma was living in a rental in Iowa. The previous tenants were pot smokers and would toss the seeds out the window which happened to be right above a flower garden. She would have the occasional plant germinate and the local police were kind enough to come by and pull it up for her. No issues.

Bear in mind the hemp was grown commercially in the Midwest for rope and other uses until folks started growing it for smoking. It would grow profusely along railroad tracks from shipping hemp and the RR would spray it with weed killer. Before we moved back to Arizona, the hemp lobby in Indiana keep pushing to allow the cultivation of hemp again but the DNR kept claiming they had no way to tell fiber-grade hemp from more powerful strains. The hemp lobby kept saying that was not the case. I suspect it would be very easy for a grower to sneak smoking-grade into a field of fiber-grade. The Cornbread Mafia was/is very skillful at hiding it in corn fields and they don't even look alike.

My understanding is a single high potency male plant will “ruin” a whole field of hemp.  It turns it all into thc containing plants and when tested, will fail testing.   Used to be quite common to find it as ditch weed due to being a commercial crop during ww2.   Not sure it is anymore as ag has changed due to the price of corn.  They plant any ground they can now.   We did run across a patch one summer detasseling back in the 80’s.  The stoners on the crew picked and smoked it.   I have also heard stories of guys picking it by the garbage bag full in Nebraska.   Said it mostly just gave them a headache.  

Why would anyone call the police about it?

Just dig it up and get rid of it however you dispose of other greenwaste; preferably offsite.

Back in my police days I cut a big plant and put it in the squad room.  Many of the guys did not know what it was.  It was not particularly potent, but I was told that, in that state at that time,  it was very good for blending with better quality to bulk up for sales and didn't change the taste.  In many areas the plant was common in ditches and at the edges of fields.  There wasn't anything done about it then, and probably except as good farming to be rid of it, not much now.  Just chop it down, bag it and toss it.

back in the 1970s one of my friends came home from LSU with a beard and long hair and our local constable put him in jail for Suspicion of possession of 

marijuana. when his parents got back to town they had the sheriff arrest the constable

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Now a days probably nothing.

Depends on where you live.

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Depends on where you live.

True,

Just finished an article about several film production companies in Georgia that are loosing millions of dollars in equipment to what appears to be a well organized theft ring with inside knowledge. However because several law enforcement jurisdictions are involved and no one has been harmed (thefts occur at night when no one is around) very little is being done to catch the thieves. Companies are pooling their resources and hiring private investigators in an attempt to solve the crimes themselves. They even have security video of the thefts.

However, even with sound leads the local LEOs have shown little interest as they are too busy investigating violent crimes. :( 

Archived