SASS Wire Forum

WTB- (I think) Ruger 38-40/40S&W

As stated above "I think" I WTB a Ruger 38-40/40S&W. I've heard they're verrry dear. I've been trying to find them on about 5 auction sites , but come up "0" Does anyone know how dear they are in $$$$, ballpark or in the neighborhood of . I might not want one as bad as I think I do.  

Thanks,

Isom

It is a very interesting cartridge I have the six guns and a Winchester from just after turn of the century.  I found it a little trickier to reload load than 38 / 357 or 45 Colt. Have never tried the caliber on the dark side, I suspect that is where it might really shine. Of course, scarcity is going to drive the cost.  Maybe Colt clones instead of Rugers?

I know a guy that has 2 pair of them. One pair is engraved and one isn’t. He wants a lot of money for them.

DO NOT get in a hurry and watch GB and other auctions and here and you can find them. I have seen them go for as much as $2200 and as little as $1200 each for in unaltered condition in the last month. 38-40 and black powder for me is a great match

willie GOODNEWS 

I don't want to tread on someone else's post, but I purchased a Taylor-Uberti in .38-40 here on the wire a few months ago. I have not fired it, and it will not work for my purpose. If you're interested in a non-Ruger, I would be willing to sell this one. It comes with box and all accessories. I paid $500.00 for it and I would sell it for the same. Shipping would be on the buyer, or face-to-face as I did. I am in Lady Lake, which is Central Florida.

Cliff

12 hours ago, El Catorce said:

…plus they come in pairs for this game ha! 

Yeh,,,,, thanks a lot ! :D

12 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Two for $3600

Oook now.

11 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

It is a very interesting cartridge I have the six guns and a Winchester from just after turn of the century.  I found it a little trickier to reload load than 38 / 357 or 45 Colt. Have never tried the caliber on the dark side, I suspect that is where it might really shine. Of course, scarcity is going to drive the cost.  Maybe Colt clones instead of Rugers?

I started off with 44-40 for the first 10-11 years smokeless with Rugers. Switched to 38-40's and Colts  and b/p for the next 12-13 years. I had a few growing pains with the 38-40, but it didn't take long to smooth it out.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I know a guy that has 2 pair of them. One pair is engraved and one isn’t. He wants a lot of money for them.

I'm beginning to wonder if I really want one that bad. You know,,, the old "want vs need" thing.

3 hours ago, willie GOODNEWS said:

DO NOT get in a hurry and watch GB and other auctions and here and you can find them. I have seen them go for as much as $2200 and as little as $1200 each for in unaltered condition in the last month. 38-40 and black powder for me is a great match

willie GOODNEWS 

I'll try to keep checking.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Isom

2 minutes ago, Shadowcaster said:

I don't want to tread on someone else's post, but I purchased a Taylor-Uberti in .38-40 here on the wire a few months ago. I have not fired it, and it will not work for my purpose. If you're interested in a non-Ruger, I would be willing to sell this one. It comes with box and all accessories. I paid $500.00 for it and I would sell it for the same. Shipping would be on the buyer, or face-to-face as I did. I am in Lady Lake, which is Central Florida.

Cliff

Thanks , I don't know why but, I just had a hankerin' for a Ruger Vaquero in 38-40/40 S&W. You know how these things just kind of hit you.

Isom

I asked the guy with the 38-40 Vaqueros what he wanted for them this morning and John Barleycorns $3,600.00 is a bargain compared to those. Barleycorn is a great pard to deal with too.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, Yul Lose said:

I asked the guy with the 38-40 Vaqueros what he wanted for them this morning and John Barleycorns $3,600.00 is a bargain compared to those. Barleycorn is a great pard to deal with too.

HOLY $$^@:o, is that a serious price? or one of those prices where "I'll set it high enough and they'll leave me alone" type price. I didn't think they were that dear. I might have to rethink this "want" :mellow:.

In these times, probably $3000/pair, more or less. I paid $1190 for a consecutive s/n set in 2007 that had a total of 6 rounds through each .38-40 cylinder, and -0- through the .40 cylinders. Then I paid $650 for a third one in '08 - gotta have an identical backup, doncha know. ;)

There were 674 made with 4 5/8" barrels and 753 with 5 1/2" barrels, all of them stainless.

The .38-40/.40 S&W convertibles, .44 Special Lipsey's Limited Editions, and the .32-20/.32 H&R mag convertibles are all going to be in the same range right now.

In the last month, there have been four .38-40 convertibles sell on Gunbroker for $1325, $1575, $1250, and $1200, plus shipping, insurance, and transfer fee, of course.

I picked up a sequential pair, 5.5 bbl SS convertibles on GB two months ago for $2600, and felt like I won the dang lottery. I was expecting to pay 3500+, that's going rate even for a non matched pair.  There out there, you just gotta stay on it. 

I know a fella that had a pair built by Snake Oil George out of Oklahoma several years ago. Pretty sure they started with 357's, then rebarreled and re-chambered the cylinder. Don't know what the cost was, but might be worth looking into. Boomstick Jay might be another viable option.

Snake Oil George, Doyle Stockstill, (918) 729-0430

Boomstick Jay, Jason Widmer, Boomstick Arms Co LLC, Leonard, TX 254-368-4540

On 5/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I know a fella that had a pair built by Snake Oil George out of Oklahoma several years ago. Pretty sure they started with 357's, then rebarreled and re-chambered the cylinder. Don't know what the cost was, but might be worth looking into. Boomstick Jay might be another viable option.

Snake Oil George, Doyle Stockstill, (918) 729-0430

Boomstick Jay, Jason Widmer, Boomstick Arms Co LLC, Leonard, TX 254-368-4540

Thanks Goody

One sold locally about 6 months ago for $650.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

And sadly not to me.

I just quoted myself.

First time fir everything! :D

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Somebody didn’t know what they had.

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Somebody didn’t know what they had.

And someone else did. Buyer is probably still grinning ear to ear.

Really like the $400 price I paid on the first one.  Took it home and shot it and immediately called the dealer and asked if he would hold the other one. 

No problem with the smoke standard on the 40 S&W with subs.  Very easy on the recoil and muzzle flip not any greater than  38 wimp loads. 

CC on the 38/40 and real BP also very pleasant to shoot.

Think I paid around 800 for a back up model with the 5 1/2 barrel.  Wife bought into needing a backup for a Ruger.  Right

Since they only made 500 or so, a few years back they started around $2k.  Would not fool around if you want what I feel is the big sleeper round for cowboy shooting.  Not sure how there was less felt recoil but later videos against a brick wall background did sort of confirm the recoil vs. 38 loads. 

About the only failure with that combo, did miss a big buck out of a tree stand in MO a few years back.  Big enough and so close, that it had to be a Ruger problem  

Archived