SASS Wire Forum

.38-55 Starline Brass

For the first time in over a year, Starline has changed their 2.080" .38-55 brass from "Out of stock/no backorders at this time" (red dot) to "backordered/ship date to be determined" (yellow dot).  I placed an order for a batch yesterday.

From Starline's order page:  "Due to increased demand at this time, items will ship in a first-come, first served order dependent upon availability. Backordered items will ship as soon as they become available."   I don't know when it will ship, but I wanted to get my name on the list.

The 2.125" .38-55 brass, which I prefer,  remains out of stock.  Someone posted on the SASS Wire that Starline has no plans to produce the longer brass in the foreseeable future.

Just thought someone might like a heads-up.

Starline is having difficulty obtaining the raw materials to make brass. This is why so much of their inventory is showing as out of stock. For the most part they are producing cartridges with high demand. Less time spent retooling that way. When there is a little lull in the demand they are doing runs of less popular calibers.

Someday the shortage of raw materials will end and things will get back to normal. Till then sign up to be notified when your chosen caliber is available. When Starline sees enough demand for an out of stock caliber, they'll make a production run.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Starline is having difficulty obtaining the raw materials to make brass. This is why so much of their inventory is showing as out of stock. For the most part they are producing cartridges with high demand. Less time spent retooling that way. When there is a little lull in the demand they are doing runs of less popular calibers.

Someday the shortage of raw materials will end and things will get back to normal. Till then sign up to be notified when your chosen caliber is available. When Starline sees enough demand for an out of stock caliber, they'll make a production run.

I totally understand the hardships that Starline must contend with in this day and age, and I certainly don't fault the company for the business decisions they've made.  I hope that my post was/is not taken as a complaint.

I'm a fan of the .38-55, and my old Winchester presents me with a tight chamber and a larger than normal bore.  Because of the thinner neck wall of Starline's .38-55 case, theirs is the only brass that I've found that will function correctly in my rifle with the larger lead bullets that I need to use.  (Perhaps I need to learn how to ream the necks of my cases, but I haven't gotten there yet.)

Anyway, finding brass for the .38-55 has been difficult and I was encouraged to see that Starline was anticipating a production run for the caliber.

I just wanted to spread the word in an effort to help others that may be in need of brass.  It was not meant to be disparaging in the least.

--Doc

My Post wasn't directed towards you but more to let others know what is going on.  I have had several people tell me that Starline was discontinuing several of the more obscure calibers which is not true. They are just caught up in the same market forces as the rest of us. 

Thanks for posting and letting others know when a popular CAS caliber changes status from No backorder to backorder available. 

When I was at Starline the first of April I was told 38-55 was on the production schedule a little over a month out, so that has held true.  Now everyone go inquire about 40-65 so they will put it on the schedule, it wasn't when I was there. 

6 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Now everyone go inquire about 40-65 so they will put it on the schedule, it wasn't when I was there. 

Interesting, Starline has a note for 40-65 brass that warns it is not the standard factory OAL. It's short by about .015.

NO big deal unless you are loading for really accurate long range. I gave up and resized 45-70 brass and then cut to the correct OAL.

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed my backorder!

My backorder that I placed on Sunday? Well it shipped today. So I guess if you want 38-55 order it ASAP.

JEL

Archived