SASS Wire Forum

Wait For It

Subdeacon Joe

Damned tree rats.  I am at war daily wit these destructive critters.

I have a cylindrical feeder, suspended from a steel rod at about a 45 degree angle from a deck post.  Little suckers climb the deck post, scramble up the rod, swing over the top, lower themselves to the feeder, shimmy down, hang by their rear feet, and eat freely from any of six seed ports.  Considered a bunch of remedies, settled on Mobil 1 grease, applied liberally to the rod.   Man, do they hate that!  Half way up the rod they lose their grip, rotate downward, hang upside down, and fall into the bushes below.  Not to be deterred, they try again, this time leaping as far up the rod as they can; they cling desperately to the rod, marking their bellies with a red stripe (Mobil 1 is red); their paws, by this time, are coated in grease; they can't get a grip on anything.  The ringleader is royally pissed off; he hisses at my French doors; pees on the railing; defecates on the porch; takes another leap on the rod, but with the same result.  He retreats.   Repeated every morning for 4 days.  Now, the best they can do is to cautiously approach the rod and sniff the air; the aroma of the grease causes them to turn tail and run.  We'll see how long that works.

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Damned tree rats.  I am at war daily wit these destructive critters.

I have a cylindrical feeder, suspended from a steel rod at about a 45 degree angle from a deck post.  Little suckers climb the deck post, scramble up the rod, swing over the top, lower themselves to the feeder, shimmy down, hang by their rear feet, and eat freely from any of six seed ports.  Considered a bunch of remedies, settled on Mobil 1 grease, applied liberally to the rod.   Man, do they hate that!  Half way up the rod they lose their grip, rotate downward, hang upside down, and fall into the bushes below.  Not to be deterred, they try again, this time leaping as far up the rod as they can; they cling desperately to the rod, marking their bellies with a red stripe (Mobil 1 is red); their paws, by this time, are coated in grease; they can't get a grip on anything.  The ringleader is royally pissed off; he hisses at my French doors; pees on the railing; defecates on the porch; takes another leap on the rod, but with the same result.  He retreats.   Repeated every morning for 4 days.  Now, the best they can do is to cautiously approach the rod and sniff the air; the aroma of the grease causes them to turn tail and run.  We'll see how long that works.

LL

They are tenacious little devils. 

I tried waxing the poles with Turtle Wax. It helps but after a couple of days it seems they wear it down. 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

howd he get up there to start ? 

She climbed up the pole.  

In this one the pole was wet because there was a bit of a drizzle so she kept sliding down.

Have you seen the English contests to see whose squirrel is the smartest.

I was told by an Englishman that they would happily take back all of the starlings if we would come get the grey squirrels.

looks like it all ended well , and he lived to share his new found knowledge with his buddies ,  

we have an abundace of them here till a few times a year the owls move in for a week and cull the herd , nice thing is mother nature instilled a preservation gene that makes the owls leave a few to repopulate , generally happens when we go from four to twenty 

Archived