SASS Wire Forum

Does a mortar have a muzzle flash?

Alpo

In the book I'm reading it says it is much easier to spot a mortar being fired in the daytime.

If they have a muzzle flash, it seems like it would be easier to spot them at night. I have no idea how you would spot one in the daytime, unless the shell is slow enough that you can see it in coming.

Actually you can spot incoming mortar rounds in the daytime. If fired at night from a distance in a wooded area they are very difficult to spot. You can hear them though. Of course you have to be looking up to spot incoming. And if you’re also being engaged by small arms you won’t be looking up.

Well maybe looking up hopefully for air support. And praying. ;) 
of course seeing them coming and being able to get out of the way are two different things.

Foop and a smoke ring with a smoke trail. Plus a lot of dirt dust gets shook up. 

Just look for the cloud of dust

3 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Foop and a smoke ring with a smoke trail. Plus a lot of dirt dust gets shook up. 

Just look for the cloud of dust

Depends on the terrain too. And the type of mortar.

32 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And despite what the movies show, a mortar doesn't go "poop" when fired. They are LOUD!! I was an 81mm mortarman as a young Marine. (They are also a LOT of fun to shoot, but carrying them is NOT!) 

You have to be a pretty good distance away for the bang to become a poop. But it does. 60s more than 81s.

Some years ago a buddy of mine built a black powder mortar sized to launch a 1 lb coffee can. We'd fill the can 1/3-1/2 full of dirt. Used about 80 gr. FFg. We shot it at a metal silhouette about 140 yards across our stock tank we called Osama. Don't think we ever hit him, but it was a hoot to shoot. You wouldn't think that little powder would launch that projectile that far but it did. It didn't make much noise, kind of a loud POOF!!/BANG. I would say less than a 12 ga BP round.

JHC

5 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And despite what the movies show, a mortar doesn't go "poop" when fired. They are LOUD!! I was an 81mm mortarman as a young Marine. (They are also a LOT of fun to shoot, but carrying them is NOT!) 

When I was going through gunsmithing school the guy who’s bench was next to mine was a retired gunnery Sargent . He always told me I had the build to be the guy carrying the mortar base plate . He was a good guy, I miss him 

31 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

When I was going through gunsmithing school the guy who’s bench was next to mine was a retired gunnery Sargent . He always told me I had the build to be the guy carrying the mortar base plate . He was a good guy, I miss him 

My father in law fought in the Pacific. He was about 5’6” and 120 with his boots on. Naturally they put him on a mortar crew. Ahh the army!

Archived