SASS Wire Forum

I missed out! #$%^^

Michigan Slim

So, I picked up a beautiful Ruger No. 1 in .243 about a month ago. Always wanted one. Nicest rifle I have ever owned. So, I said to myself... Self, you need one in .270 now. I agreed wholeheartedly! Saw one on Gunbroker for a really good price but, to be honest, I was a little worried about the reaction of my wife. She does NOT share my love of blued steel and fine walnut. Sooo, I let the auction close. No bidders.

But! He relisted it! It's fate! It's my destiny! God has smiled on me with all his glory! I've been watching it and still no bidders. Auction ends at 3:45 or so on Sunday. Got some time to build my courage. 

Came home tonight and pulled up Gunbroker and my Watch List. Showed my wife. Only mildly disgusted with me, which said to me I will survive the wrath. Closed it out to come back to after supper. I just went in to place my bid and IT'S GONE!!! I can't believe it! He pulled the listing in the hour I was cooking and eating my brats! I'm ready to barf my supper.

I gave up on auctions. Too many people with more money than me out there.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I gave up on auctions. Too many people with more money than me out there.

No bidders last time, none this time. I passed on a couple that went to stupid levels.

Message the person.

I see a lot of items, on the i-net gun sites, that are going for a lot more than they are worth. It is a feeding frenzy. 

I usually look at the winning bidder, just to see the history of how many transactions they have made.

A lot of the times the winning bidder has ten, or less.

Rookies! 

Good for the seller, but drives me out of contention.

Even worse is the bidding on ammunition. I refuse to pay a buck a round for .38 special ammunition, or 30-30 either. I can wait...no problem.

Hurry November! Hurry 2024! Uh...did you hear that? It's the sound of a Washington D.C. toilet flushing! :lol:  

5 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I see a lot of items, on the i-net gun sites, that are going for a lot more than they are worth. It is a feeding frenzy. 

I usually look at the winning bidder, just to see the history of how many transactions they have made.

A lot of the times the winning bidder has ten, or less.

Rookies! 

Good for the seller, but drives me out of contention.

Even worse is the bidding on ammunition. I refuse to pay a buck a round for .38 special ammunition, or 30-30 either. I can wait...no problem.

Hurry November! Hurry 2024! Uh...did you hear that? It's the sound of a Washington D.C. toilet flushing! :lol:  

I was looking at some revolvers yesterday floored at the asking prices AND at some of the prices paid. :blink:
Good Lord! Used guns going for hundreds over New prices on some. Classic S&W revolvers going for 2-3 times what they were worth before the CCP virus. Crazy!

This one was reasonably prices and less than I paid for the .243. I'll have to see if I can find the seller. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was looking at some revolvers yesterday floored at the asking prices AND at some of the prices paid. :blink:
Good Lord! Used guns going for hundreds over New prices on some. Classic S&W revolvers going for 2-3 times what they were worth before the CCP virus. Crazy!

What was buying used guns like in the before times? I've wanted a classic double action revolver for years but it appears i've been priced out of the market so I have yet to acquire one. :(

14 hours ago, .44bang said:

Buy her that nice shoe or purse that she wants, I bet she’ll never mind what you buy.

works all the time.

There is always the 60 day rule.  You don't bring it out for 60 days and when she says, "When did you buy that?"  You say, "What? This old rifle, I've had for a long time?"

16 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

What was buying used guns like in the before times? I've wanted a classic double action revolver for years but it appears i've been priced out of the market so I have yet to acquire one. :(

$5-600 for about anything

Sometimes you’d even pick up a pair of worked over Rugers for 750-850.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

There is always the 60 day rule.  You don't bring it out for 60 days and when she says, "When did you buy that?"  You say, "What? This old rifle, I've had for a long time?"

I did something similar. I swear, I pulled that revolver out, she looked at it and said “When did you get that one?”

I said “Oh, I have had this one for a while.”

She said “Uh-huh…a short while.”

I couldn’t help myself. I started laughing. I was busted. :lol:

When I bought my second Glock 34 she looked at it and said “Don’t you already have one of those?”

She ain’t gun savvy, but she’s very observant. ;)

I read so many posts here and on other forums about the difficulties and trials and tribulations of folks trying or succeeding or giving up buying and selling at auctions these days.  I buy and sell a fair amount, so I think I know what I'm talking about.  Yes, buying commodity items like primers and ammunition via auction is not the best use of your money, unless you move up into near-commercial quantities (with corresponding prices) to weed out the newbies, shills, and casual bidders.  A good example is buying powder.  You will overpay for a pound or two of anything on any auction site today, but if you only bid on 16-lb or larger lots, you'll do just fine, generally -- you will have no trouble selling whatever you don't need or want to the rest of your club members at your cost per pound and everyone will be happy, or at least relatively happier than had you paid $80-100 per pound of anything plus HAZMAT fees

Likewise, if you are a collector and are looking to acquire truly rare items, you probably know at least some of the other serious bidders who share your collecting passion, and everyone can easily spot when a shill (or an agent for an undisclosed buyer with WAY TOO MUCH money and WAY TOO LITTLE common sense) enters (and leaves) the bidding room.  For everything else, while buying "regular" items has certainly gotten more expensive, and a LOT more caution about potential fraudsters is absolutely needed if you are going to deal with individual sellers, persistence generally pays off in my experience.  Stick with the commercial auction houses -- any of the hundreds of them all across the country.  (GunBroker used to be good but is now the home of shills, noobs, and fraudsters, so a great deal of extra caution is required.  These days I prefer combo internet/live auctions instead of "internet only" ones because you know the item actually exists and that you'll get it if you win when it is auctioned off live, by a real human, with other real humans in the room.)  Just bid the maximum amount you are comfortable paying (don't forget about the auctioneer's vig, sales tax, and a sometimes outrageous shipping charge, plus your receiving FFL's charge if necessary) and many times you'll miss it, but on other occasions you'll win and pay less than you thought you would need to pay.  And every so often, you'll win an auction for what seems like an impossibly, shockingly low price, and the item will be just as good or even better than you hoped or expected it would be.  That's been my experience over the past 10 years or so.  Recently, I bought a Browning B725 Sporter 12 ga O/U in a custom transit case and an older Belgian Browning (FN) High Power Safari Grade .30-06 that both turned out to be basically NIB even though the sellers wouldn't say other than "very nice used condition" -- which was very honorable of them -- and both were won for far below "market price."  And most recently, I had another truly extraordinary auction win for an exceptionally rare item that I won for less than a third of the low end of its pre-sale estimate, after all expenses.  While there was a ton of pre-auction interest and bidding, no one but me showed up on the day of the live auction -- I have no idea why -- so my opening bid of someone else's pre-auction high bid (which was just high enough to clear out the jokers) plus $250 was the winner.  Go figure!  YMMV.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:34 PM, Michigan Slim said:

So, I picked up a beautiful Ruger No. 1 in .243 about a month ago. Always wanted one. Nicest rifle I have ever owned. So, I said to myself... Self, you need one in .270 now. I agreed wholeheartedly! Saw one on Gunbroker for a really good price but, to be honest, I was a little worried about the reaction of my wife. She does NOT share my love of blued steel and fine walnut. Sooo, I let the auction close. No bidders.

But! He relisted it! It's fate! It's my destiny! God has smiled on me with all his glory! I've been watching it and still no bidders. Auction ends at 3:45 or so on Sunday. Got some time to build my courage. 

Came home tonight and pulled up Gunbroker and my Watch List. Showed my wife. Only mildly disgusted with me, which said to me I will survive the wrath. Closed it out to come back to after supper. I just went in to place my bid and IT'S GONE!!! I can't believe it! He pulled the listing in the hour I was cooking and eating my brats! I'm ready to barf my supper.

I share your love of the Ruger #1. Most beautiful rifle ever built.  My dad had one with a sporter barrel in 22-250. It’s now mine and shall forever remain so.  It started my lifelong love of single shot rifles.

The Ruger no1 has always interested me.

I had a chance to trade a NIB Grizzly jointer I acquired in a trade and maybe $400 in for a NIB No 1 in 45-70. I sold the jointer for $800 but the buyer offered the trade. I have no idea where the $800 went. Should have taken the trade.

A 375 H&H and 450/400 has interested me as well

I don't do Gunbroker or similar sites.  However there are a couple of auction houses online that specialize in firearms that have I purchased from repeatedly and  been happy and even very happy with the results.  Both Poulin (30 years in business) in Maine and Amoskeag (24 years in business) in New Hampshire only do firearms and related items.  They are both more focused on antiques, collectibles, high end items and other hard to find firearms and sometimes I find things I want at prices I can afford including English hammer guns from before 1900 and a couple of Martini - Henry rifles, once  Martini - Cadet barreled to .22 Lr and a Navy Arms Martini- Henry in 45-70 with a heavy target barrel.

And yes it sucks when someone with deeper pockets outbids you on something you wanted.

Archived